To buy a farm or to not to buy a farm

Earth

The Thing In The Basement drops a golden runestone and a necklace of vitality, which gives substantial bonuses to physical resistance and healing efficacy; a very good item for a shaman, given their painfully low physical defense. Aside from that, you get a few low-mid level ranged weapons that you may not have yet (especially if you buy the house before you get to Avadon), and some nice consumables. Overall I'd say it's worth it for the items, more so if you're going for the achievement.

As far as I can tell, the house in Dharam gets you nothing in-game aside from being necessary for the achievement.

As far as I can tell, the house in Dharam gets you nothing in-game aside from being necessary for the achievement.

Of course, by the endgame you'll eventually end up with more money than you know what to do with unless you buy a lot of equipment and consumables, so you might as well go for it if you care about the achievement.

Of course, by the endgame you'll eventually end up with more money than you know what to do with unless you buy a lot of equipment and consumables, so you might as well go for it if you care about the achievement.

I ended up with a ton of money and consumables after buying every charm I could find, but I play on Normal. Maybe next time I should by furniture for the houses to soak up that extra cash.

I wish you could actually set up your little farms. :grin:

Me too! When the concept was first introduced in the game, I had hoped it would have a bigger part to play in the game. I'd love it if you could buy servants and farmers (just a money sink like the furniture), and have the option to invite people over (maybe invite a rebel to hide out there, or your love interest could move in), and set up traps so that if anybody tries to break in you'd return to their body, gold and armor lying on the floor. And people could post you letters.

Me too! When the concept was first introduced in the game, I had hoped it would have a bigger part to play in the game. I'd love it if you could buy servants and farmers (just a money sink like the furniture), and have the option to invite people over (maybe invite a rebel to hide out there, or your love interest could move in), and set up traps so that if anybody tries to break in you'd return to their body, gold and armor lying on the floor. And people could post you letters.

I was totally hoping for an ending where you leave Avadon forever, forget about the war and set up a nice little household with the scout, yes. It'd probably be the least depressing ending available.

Don't worry, we could still make that ending really depressing also. For example: You set up your nice little farm with Silke/Rainer, you are happy for three years then one of the rampaging rebel fractions comes through the area and burns your whole farm down and eats your cows. I really prefer happy endings, like in A:EftP, but unfortunately I know better than to expect them from SW. Maybe Jeff will surprise me and Avadon 3 will end with a peaceful and united Lyneaus with a non-corrupt/non-abusive Avadon that focuses on external threats, the corruption and exploring the rest of the world. I can hope, right?

Eh, I wouldn't say SW endings are particularly unhappy. Every series so far has ended on at least a hopeful note. G5's endings were all basically optimistic in their own ways (except the Taygen ending, in which you really get no worse than you deserve for going after it in the first place), and A6's ending was melancholy but not exactly grim.

I doubt the Corruption will be a major focus of Avadon 3. I mean, Avadon 2 was subtitled The Corruption, gave it a lot of attention, and did give closure of sorts to the area as far as its relationship to the Pact goes.

I was totally hoping for an ending where you leave Avadon forever, forget about the war and set up a nice little household with the scout, yes. It'd probably be the least depressing ending available.

I would love this option. (I guessed it wasn't likely based on the one house being near the Dharam/Tawon border and the other one in the middle of the Contested Lands, but...)

I already had one farm by the time the scout told me she was working for the rebels because she had to to survive...I was hoping for an option that said, "Look, I've got a farmhouse over thisaway, it's on a patch of land, and if you don't know how to plant your own garden and build a chicken coop, it's near some good hunting land...now get out of that rebellion!"

I already had one farm by the time the scout told me she was working for the rebels because she had to to survive...I was hoping for an option that said, "Look, I've got a farmhouse over thisaway, it's on a patch of land, and if you don't know how to plant your own garden and build a chicken coop, it's near some good hunting land...now get out of that rebellion!"

My characters would have been happy to do this as well. Or once they'd joined the rebellion, they would have gladly offered the place as a safe house. (Same with offering the place in Dharam to Dheless for use as a safe house.)

Had romance been an option in Avadon 1, you could have bought the wizard's tower and settled down with Nathalie. An ostentatious tower and the chance to burn creatures to a crisp periodically would, I am sure, have been the way to her heart. Maybe in the Avadon 1 remake in ten or so years.

Even if Nathalie weren't a teenager still, none of my characters would have been interested in settling down with her. My blademaster doesn't like arrogant sorcerers, and my shamaness and sorceress are both straight. (I think they both had crushes on Shima.)

It was primarily a joke, but it would have allowed for the romance to build up over the duration of the game versus just the opening as several folks have suggested. I did not think that the PC in Avadon 1 was that much older than Nathalie (2-3 years tops), though I just re-read the introduction and my impression was likely mistaken. Maybe in the remake, she could be 18 and so is finally allowed out on missions instead of 16 and finally allowed out on missions. And as to the female Shaman in Avadon 1, she had a boyfriend. A relatively quick romance developed during her loyalty quest.

Of course taking this thread even farther off of the subject. If the PC in Avadon 1 was an experienced warrior of the Pact, and if your companion Hands in both games are experienced Hands, why are they sent out on missions with just daggers? I know budgets are tight, but come on, Avadon could really cut back on its recruiting and training bill by sending its people out with something better than the game equivalent of a pocket knife. Maybe RedBeard is part of the conspiracy and wants all of his Hands to die.

That

today 17 is bit too young to get married but it could be possible in Lynaeus. Totally different thing is Hands etc getting married.

I always kind of wondered what Avadon's position on relationships and sex was. It's clear that it's not totally forbidden (Miranda and her husband were recruited to Avadon together; when Callan muses on the possibility that Redbeard has a wife and family somewhere, she doesn't seem to think this is a betrayal of his duties), but almost no one in Avadon's employ seems to be romantically entangled. Interesting little world building question that I wish Jeff had dealt with at some point. Ah well, the series isn't over yet.

Two houses are better than one, then you have ghosts you are not forced to kill, go downstairs, cry at them and run upstairs. Try this, it's fun.

Having two houses also provides opportunities for safe houses, places for fellow Hands to stay when they're headed to that area on leave... and my chaotic neutral, hedonistic, not-into-the-whole-commitment-thing shadowwalker plans on taking advantage of having two houses in other ways. ;)

I always kind of wondered what Avadon's position on relationships and sex was. It's clear that it's not totally forbidden (Miranda and her husband were recruited to Avadon together; when Callan muses on the possibility that Redbeard has a wife and family somewhere, she doesn't seem to think this is a betrayal of his duties), but almost no one in Avadon's employ seems to be romantically entangled. Interesting little world building question that I wish Jeff had dealt with at some point. Ah well, the series isn't over yet.

Maybe I've been reading between the lines too much, but I got the impression during this game that it was tolerated as long as it didn't interfere with anyone's official duties. I think it likely, though, that anyone in Avadon's employ who has a romantic interest outside Avadon is wise to keep it as secret as possible, given the number of enemies Avadon has.

I suspect that relationships are tolerated for the Hands and Eyes, but that being a Heart or part of Redbeard's inner circle, you are supposed to be totally devoted to Red Beard. The life expectancy of the Hands seems to preclude much in the way of relationships there, and I think that the Black Tower is kind of isolated (geographically, not just every other way). Really, your best shot at having a normal life with a family seems to be if you are an eye in a long term posting away from Avadon.

That kinda plays into what I said above, too, that I feel like relationships are tolerated as long as they don't interfere with your duty to Avadon. Higher rank, more duties; more duties = less time to spend with family, especially family far from the Black Fortress. (Which actually makes me wonder how Alcander got conscripted in the first place. Personally, I suspect someone in his family pulled a few strings.)

Doesn't stop me from wanting to have more relationship options for PCs and the option for them to settle down somewhere quiet, though.

If the PC in Avadon 1 was an experienced warrior of the Pact, and if your companion Hands in both games are experienced Hands, why are they sent out on missions with just daggers?

Perhaps we should be more concerned about the fact that they are sent out barefoot and pantsless.