Is Lawcarver Ain an American?

lukematt

Lawcarver Ain in Rockridge Keep says, "There is a worn copy of the Stone Code in rebel lands to the south".

Therefore, I wasted lots of time crawling around in the "Kva Riverlands" map, which is south of Rockridge Keep.

In truth, though, the Stone Code is located in "The Trapped Lair" map; according to the world map, "The Trapped Lair" is clearly west of Rockridge Keep.

Given Lawcarver Ain's pathetic geography skills, I'm assuming Lawcarver Ain is an American. Am I right?

• 1 year later...

As an American (both in name and with US citizenship), I found the original post was not insulting and if one believes the surveys regarding the state of overall education in the country, a true statement.

However, the reply by Jerakeen does exactly what is being stated should not be done. By stating 'Even Americans.' Jerakeen is tacitly agreeing that although it is not okay to insult any nationality on these boards, he can certainly see why Americans are being insulted.

As an illustration, I have changed Jerakeen's statement so that it is now regarding religion. In this context, is what he stated OK or insulting to the religious group named? Clearly it is insulting.

'Lukematt, it is not okay to insult any religion on these boards. Even Christians. Eaintree, I'm guessing that your reply was meant to be ironic, but let's just not go down that road. Speaking as a mod, here.

Thanks, guys'

However, the reply by Jerakeen does exactly what is being stated should not be done. By stating 'Even Americans.' Jerakeen is tacitly agreeing that although it is not okay to insult any nationality on these boards, he can certainly see why Americans are being insulted.

Firstly, Jerakeen isn't a he. Secondly, that's a very uncharitable interpretation of her post.

As an illustration, I have changed Jerakeen's statement so that it is now regarding religion. In this context, is what he stated OK or insulting to the religious group named? Clearly it is insulting.

Not if the intention was to dispel a pre-existing impression that some groups are acceptable targets, which I'd say was pretty clearly the intention in this case.

This topic's been dead for one and a half years and I don't see its revival leading to anything good, so I'm gonna go ahead and close it.

First off, An American, you are replying to a post from a year and a half ago. :/

It seemed clear to me that the reason for saying "even Americans" had nothing to do with Americans being worthy of insult, and everything to do with the fact that they are overwhelmingly the dominant nationality on these boards... and often (though less overwhelmingly) the dominant culture on the Anglophone internet in general. People don't always think of the dominant group being made fun in the same way. Likewise, people often feel more comfortable making fun of their own group. So it can be helpful to say that yes, this applies to Americans the same as any other group.

Anyway, An American, I can see how you read it otherwise. But as Lilith points out, it's hard not to make assumptions about other people.

(I was already typing when Lilith locked the thread, but, yeah, this is pretty done, ain't it?)