Avadon 2 blank screen

Copernicus

Hi all,

Hey, I just purchased Avadon 2 via Steam for my Mac. I've discovered a curious problem -- I started the game (as a Tinkermage, which looks like a very cool character class), and worked my way through the introductory region, but at the point where my character was leaving the area, the screen went completely black (except for the minimap in the upper right hand of the screen). The background audio continued as normal.

Not figuring any other way out of the app, I ended up rebooting the machine. Now, whenever I start Avadon, I get no graphics. (The screen is completely black when in full-screen mode, and the contents of the window are completely black in windowed mode.) I can still hear the audio feedback when the mouse moves over a button, and (when I'm lucky enough to move it to the right spot) clicking on the exit button still closes the program, so it seems to be otherwise running correctly.

I just updated to OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) a few days ago, so my guess would be that this is a combination of bleeding-edge OS and bleeding-edge game conspiring against one another other. :) FWIW, this is a mid-2010 Mac Mini with the GeForce 320M GPU.

Any clues on what I might do to alleviate this situation? :) Thanks!

Edit: I've just tried downloading the demo from the Spiderweb site, and using that I've managed to get past the point where the glitch occurred. So, I'm guessing this may be a Steam-related problem. (Or, perhaps, something went wrong with the Steam download or install.)

Edited by Copernicus

You might try verifying the game cache.

From the Library, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.

Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache button.

Thanks! Let me try it...

Unfortunately, it reports that the local files are fine.

Let me try just uninstalling it and reinstalling the whole game...

Nope, that didn't fix it either. Not sure what's going on here. :(

Edit: I've just tried downloading the demo from the Spiderweb site, and using that I've managed to get past the point where the glitch occurred. So, I'm guessing this may be a Steam-related problem. (Or, perhaps, something went wrong with the Steam download or install.)

If this is the case, then you should email support@spiderwebsoftware.com - if you can prove you've brought the game once, they'll give you a registration code so you can continue with the copy you downloaded from SW's site. It won't be on Steam, but you'll be able to play.

if you can prove you've brought the game once, they'll give you a registration code so you can continue with the copy you downloaded from SW's site.

Actually, I just went ahead and purchased the game from the SW site. :) I don't mind paying a little extra for Spiderweb software, as I usually enjoy their games more than the ones that cost $50 or $60...

I have the same issue on macos steam. The problem of black screen start from first achievement (The War Begins). After game manual killing and restart, screen goes black after game start steam overlay window (press shift-tab to view steam window, etc). So i think problem is in small steam overlay window. Games still running, hotkeys are working (F3-F4) but black screen (only map at top right window are viewable). Please, fix it=)))))) love this game

This happened to me, too! I'm on a (4ish year old) macbook pro (with the new maverick or whatever), and it first happened to me when I got the first achievement. It happened again later when Steam tried to tell me one of my friends was playing Civilization. So, it's not only the achievement pop-ups, but the steam pop-ups in general.