How'd you come across Spiderweb?

Vexivero

I seriously doubt Jeff wants to deal with the possible financial and legal headaches that running a service like that would bring.

Yeah, he decided there were too many headaches with even just letting people charge for scenarios. Actually getting involved in situation himself would be a million times worse.

For comparison, roughly contemporaneously with BoE there existed Divinity/Divine Right, the Realmz scenario editor/player. Realmz was really in the same niche; it was always a lot rougher around the edges, but it was scenario-based in its basic engine. Fantasoft, its maker, decided to let and even encourage people to charge registration fees for their Divinity scenarios.

Divinity was also far harder to use than BoE, and I don't know if Realmz was more or less popular. Still, as best I can tell, Divinity produced somewhere around a dozen scenarios, most of which probably were not played by more than a handful of people because willigness to pay for third-party content is and largely has been almost nil.

—Alorael, who has used a lot of words to say that the business model seems built for failure even if the headaches didn't exist. BoE's popularity can be attributed in large part to the massive bank of good and free scenarios.

• 3 weeks later...

~8 years ago, my brother's girlfriend gave him a pirate CD that contained A1-3 and G1-3. I booted them up and was surprised that I'd never heard of them before, they were really good indie titles.

I've gradually legally reacquired almost all the titles from my pirating days - the Spiderweb Humble gave me an easy opportunity to finish off my Vogel RPGs.