Avernum 1-Killing Certain Enemies-Tactics

Ok this is huge and would make me very happy :cool:

I am terrible at fighting mages, especially the ones later in Slith Fortress. How do I know this? While I haven't played this game the old version, I played A: EFTP twice. While I like the later one for graphics, the roleplaying in the old games is well..some of the best stuff ever due to flexibility. I can get into the old Avernum games 1-3 and be into the games up until I get destroyed by enemy priests and mages.

A: EFTP is better at surviving this but I really would like to play the old games and for Avernum 1-Slay Slith King Thss. I am not hoping to get all 3 endings I just want to do the first main quest and learn to get better.

1-I know how to build my fighters and spell casters and what not. What I don't know is what to do with those damn monster summoning mages/priests. I usually have 2 fighters and priest/mage. The fighters are lethal, fast and good at dealing swift death from their blades/spears. The last time I played I didn't know how to build successful characters-now I do. What are everyone's ideas?

2-What is Slith King's overall difficulty? I fought him on normal in remake and he wasn't too hard but his subjects are worse than him. Is there any strategies someone can tell me now to prepare for it. I usually have 1 fighter able to take more hits and one able to deal more dmg while spell caster launches attacks too.

I really want to play Nethergate, Avernum 1-3 but am only able to get into BOA as its easier due to scenarios. I can't stand waiting for remakes when this stuff is just waiting around. Oh well, at least I got a quest.

1. You don't want four characters?

2. I have found that my first attempts are at slightly too low level, and after coming back they are much easier. What's your level at Slith King?

In general I try to eliminate enemy mages first, before the most dangerous melee attackers, then priests, and then the rest of ranged & weak melee.

With a boss fight, I usually whittle boss while clearing mages through priests, before focusing on boss and finally clearing ranged & weak melee trash.

I think I waited until I could cast a major haste/mass blessing so everyone for a few rounds could do extra attacks with extra damage. Then concentrated damage by fighters on the slith mages would take them out in a round even with weak range attacks. After the major threats are taken out the fighters could go off and melee to remove everything else.

1. You don't want four characters?

2. I have found that my first attempts are at slightly too low level, and after coming back they are much easier. What's your level at Slith King?

In general I try to eliminate enemy mages first, before the most dangerous melee attackers, then priests, and then the rest of ranged & weak melee.

With a boss fight, I usually whittle boss while clearing mages through priests, before focusing on boss and finally clearing ranged & weak melee trash.

I actually haven't started up yet. I played in the past. I was more wondering what lvl would be a good choice to fight king. I fought in remake at lvl 20 or 19.

usual tactic aka haste and buff up (if possible before fight) and keep your caster(s) away from enemies and use area spells like lightning strike to kill melee fighters occupying your fighters and kill summons/cannonfodders quickly so you can continue hitting main opponent, I did Slith King somewhat late game and before confronting him I cleaned out whole castle (as much as possible).