A4: Few fast questions

Languorous_Maiar

After completing A:EFTP Avernum 4 seems like the most non-friendly game to the player.

So here we are.

How I can check in-game:

*How many potential dmg speciic spell will cause?

*How long specific buffs (like protection/haste) will work?

*What exactly those buffs are giving me?

*What exactly traits are giving me?

*How many points I need to attack? (after moving)

*What determine which character will start combat? (At start, always kitty as second char is doing first turn)

On other hand, character creation stuff. Considering i'm playing on normal and there are global points for everything:

*I need to give endurance/hardiness/luck to spell casters at all?

*What is more important. attributes or skills? If skills, for how many skill points (like 5 for pole weapons) I need to invest point in skills?

*There is similiarity beetwen Avernum 4 and A:EFTP. As mage, only INT, as tank, only STR and END (not counting 6 points for DEX for parry ), as archer, only DEX and so on?

Also, just confirmation.

16 tool use, 16 natural lore, 8 first aid is enough for end-game? (I saw some post with those number.)

See Strategy Central for Links to some topics.

*How many potential dmg speciic spell will cause?

You can look at the health bar at the base for the monster. This is why saving often is a good idea for when the monster is immune to damage type and you don't last wasting attacks in the first round.

*How long specific buffs (like protection/haste) will work?

Buffs change based upon how powerful you ability to cast it is - combination of level with spell, level with mage or priest spells, spellcraft, and magery (which does the same as spellcraft) - minus monsters debuffing that spell by casting slow versus your haste. Recast if you are being debuffed, but otherwise the spell lasts through most combats.

*What exactly those buffs are giving me?

I don't remember them all, but:

Haste gives you extra AP so you can usually get two full actions.

War Bless is +10% to hit

Protection is -10% to damage taken

*What exactly traits are giving me?

Discussion on traits

*What determine which character will start combat? (At start, always kitty as second char is doing first turn)

It's a combination of dexterity, quick action, and whether you are hasted or slowed.

*I need to give endurance/hardiness/luck to spell casters at all?

Endurance doesn't help at the start since it barely adds to health. It's mostly for resistance to acid/poison. Hardiness and Luck are useful, but at the start isn't much either so you can wait until mid game.

See here for numbers

*What is more important. attributes or skills? If skills, for how many skill points (like 5 for pole weapons) I need to invest point in skills?

Avernum 4 was still the same to hit increase for attributes and skills. However some combinations of attributes and skills allow you unlock special skills that are useful.

The Nature Lore 16 is to open the last cache to get the best bow in the game, so less is acceptable. First aid helps return health and spell energy after a fight so you don't have to run back to town as often.

Lost Bahssikava didn't exist in the original Exile trilogy. It was added as a kind of bonus content when the Exile trilogy was remade as Avernum, but then it stopped being added to the further remakes. Jeff didn't make continue to make it or add dialogue about it, so it vanished from the series.

—Alorael, who would like to see at least a little bit more of Lost Bahssikava in the Avernum remakes. Just a mention that all the sliths abandoned it when it became clear that they would never get to return to their homeland would suffice.

How it's possible that my priest with 1 mage spells have 3 lvl bolf of fire... while pure mage have only 2 lvl of that spell? (I just recently visited fort Draco, 6 lvl).

I remember that I bought upgrades for both characters in Fort Monastery.

There are two possibilities.

1) You only bought one level of the spell for your mage, but two levels for your priest.

2) Your mage was unconscious when you read the spellbook that gave the party a bonus level, so they didn't get the benefit.

Thanks. Saw high price, and I quickly hid it into pocket. Wisdom crystals, potions, so nice from Jeff. ; p

As for 3 lvl of bolt of fire, I got theory. Maybe it because my mage started game with some mage spells, and priest no. I just gave her at 2 or 3 lvl 1 point of mage spells, and maybe that's why she's able to have 3 lvl of fire bolt.

Thanks. Saw high price, and I quickly hid it into pocket. Wisdom crystals, potions, so nice from Jeff. ; p

When you find certain craftmaster you are able to get more knowledge brews made from herbs you have found (mandrake root is key herb and its somewhat rare since there are bit over 40 of those in game).