Failed to Transfer Avernum 4 Saved Games

jimbob

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a new laptop, and moved all of my Spiderweb Software games onto it. However, I have a little issue. I attempted to transfer all of my Avernum 4 saved game files (found in Program Filesx86>Avernum 4>Data) to my new laptop, but when I open Avernum 4, everything is blank on the "Load Game" screen.

The transfer is from a Windows 7 OS to a Windows 8 OS, so there should be no issues there, as far as I know. I also noticed that in each of the saved game folders (Save0, Save1, etc.) there is only a .tmp folder, no actual data. But when I open up Avernum 4 and load a save (on the old laptop), the saved file opens.

What am I doing wrong? I figured that the target for the shortcut may have been something other than the Avernum 4 in Program Filesx86, but that is not the case, so it is odd that opening the saved games in the data folder only yields .tmp files. Thanks in advance for any help.

The saved games should be located in your My Documents folder, in a Spiderweb Software folder.

For example: C:\Users\Accountname\Documents\Spiderweb Software\

Not true for A4, this only started with A5.

jimbob, your "problem" is that you installed the game in program files. Afaik newer OSes (7&8, maybe Vista too) don't allow those directories to be modifed by applications. Look in C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\[APPNAME] or something like that.

• 5 years later...

I started playing Geneforge 1 (and intend to re-do the whole saga!) on my old laptop and bought a new one last week. I couldn't transfer the saved games, but this was very helpful and solved my problem. So, it's still valid for Windows 10 in 2019 😊

On 9/13/2013 at 7:54 AM, Nim said:

Not true for A4, this only started with A5.

jimbob, your "problem" is that you installed the game in program files. Afaik newer OSes (7&8, maybe Vista too) don't allow those directories to be modifed by applications. Look in C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\[APPNAME] or something like that.