Exile Install Crashes

Squatfurd

So I'm trying to install 1 and 2 from the CD Rom that I got when I bought the game... for the second time. The process just freezes up instantly. I've read that If I send the address that I received the game at the Spiderweb I'll get a code.

Problem is this was many years ago and I can't remember where I lived, or even recall the address If I could remember. (I've moved a lot :( )

Can someone help me out here? These are really good games, but there's no way I'm going to pay for them THREE BLOODY TIMES.

Well I've only bought 1 and 3 once... but you get my point.

I don't understand any of that stuff, and to be perfectly honest, I don't want to.

With that attitude, you won't attract much help. Despite that, I will reply with what I know.

The Exile trilogy are very old, and were programed with an architecture which is no longer supported by modern operating systems.

You fail to specify what type of computer and operating system you use. Microsoft Windows? Apple Mac OS?

Instead of the daunting task of modernizing the code, the games have been completely remade once over already (the original Avernum series) and are being remade for a second time now (A:EFtP); so the original Exile series is available for free on their respective pages on the SpidWeb site.

They should run just as they always have on an older computer from the era when they were released. As for using a modern computer, you may be able to run them using a sufficient way to emulate an older computer's environment. That might be accomplished using a virtual machine, or what have you.

I suggest reading previous threads, the game pages on SpidWeb, and other sources on the internet to help you if your goal is to run these older games.

Woah. Hey. I'm not trying to be a jerk and I'm sorry if I gave off that vibe. I'm just not a techie, that sort of stuff is extremely obtuse to me. I don't understand it, and I don't care to mess with it.

I'm running Vista. I assumed it wouldn't have problems because... I mean... Vista.

I'm sure it's a daunting task, but it's a task that I assumed would be taken care of by now because I, and most likely the majority of gamers who are used to getting things the easy way have problems, come here, start reading and say to themselves "well it's a cool old game but I don't need to read through all of this gobbledygook, and get 3rd party programs just to run one old game when I have new stuff on Steam just... hangin out, waiting... calling my name softly"

Exile games were written back in the days of Windows 3.0. So you need to go into compatibility mode and set it to and older Windows version. I don't know if it will work with Windows XP mode.

Most players use an emulator like DOSBox to create a section on their computer that will install older games. Someone that has tested it will be able to give you better advice.

Example of advice, Another example

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. Wait too late, you tried to install a 20 year old game on a modern computer. :)

If it is 32-bit Vista, the games should work in compatibility mode. If it is 64-bit Vista, the games will not work unless you emulate an earlier version of Windows in a program like VirtualBox. Also, you don't need to worry about registration codes if you install the versions available on Spiderweb's site. All three games are now freeware.