Mechanics / traits questions

Haven't played any of these games before and trying to figure out how some of the basic mechanics work; I've read through most of the posted guides but they tend to assume a level of familiarity with the mechanics of prior games, and I don't have that since I'm starting fresh with this one.

1) Are there any caps to stats or to the benefits from stats? i.e., is there some point at which increasing Strength gives diminishing returns, or is there some maximum point past which there's no further need to increase Endurance, etc.?

2) Looking at the traits, if you're a melee fighter is it always better to get "improved strength" (for a +5% damage bonus and +to hit) before mighty blow/backstab? Similarly, is it always better to get "improved endurance" before getting "good health"? Any other "best order" thoughts? Some guides say "these 5 abilities are good for this type of character" but they don't really address what order they should be grabbed in.

3) Should I be assuming a "soft cap" on character level at around 25/30 before the end of the game (assuming I try to do EVERYTHING)? So does that mean I have a total of ~25/30 stat points, ~50/60 skill points, and ~12-15 traits to play with?

Anything else people think I should know? I'm starting my first playthrough on Torment using the "remix" if that matters. Thanks!

Geneforge games have the rule of 10 where benefits decrease after getting to 10 and 20 with skills.

In other games the increased cost to raise a stat or skill means training for other than your main skills is more important even when money is scarce. Also most games have a level cap where you will no longer gain skill points or in Avernum: Escape from the Pit after level 30 you only get them every 5 levels.

2) Gaining an increased ability to hit is always important early in the game, especially for fighters who are wearing armor that have penalties to hit.

Good Health works best after getting to 100 health since the increase is now greater than an extra endurance point. Before then, improved endurance means more health and resistance to cold, acid, and poison.

In general you want to improve to hit and endurance. You can only get some traits after you go up a few levels like the next time that you can get improve a stat or level 8 for negotiator. So pick the best that is currently available.

3) Avernum: Escape from the Pit has a soft cap at level 30 where skill points and the stat point you choose is now every 5 levels up to a hard cap at level 80. Most parties of 4 that do everything finish between level 33 and 35.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. We aim to confuse. :)

Thanks! So if I'm reading you correctly, there's a diminishing returns cap at 10 and 20 for skills, but no such cap for stats?

One additional question: for Backstab, do the two pc's need to just be next to the monster, or actually on opposite sides? Does it only work 'behind' the monster, i.e., the squares directly behind it? Or can two adjacent pc's on the monster's front both get a backstab bonus from each other?

Diminishing skill return only applies to Geneforge games. However the cost of increasing some skills may make it seem like a diminishing return.

Backstab works as long as there is another party member and/or summoned monster adjacent to the monster your character is stabbing. It doesn't have to be "behind" the monster. I guess it's assumed the other party member is providing the distraction to turn the facing into your favor.

Thanks again!

I have read through the forum etc., just couldn't find answers; I think most veteran players just assume this kinda stuff and never explicitly note it.

One more question: how persistent is the world? I.e., if I get sick of carrying stuff around, can I just drop it all in the middle of Fort Avernum and leave it all there to pick up later? How much later (is there a running clock in this game?) If I steal something and then drop it in public, is it still flagged as "stolen" such that if I pick it up again I'll get attacked or whatever?

Really tempted to just drop all my old stuff in a big heap by the exit from the training dungeon. "Hey newbies! Have some fancy gear on me!"

On a similar note, if I sell something to a vendor can I buy it back later?

Exile games have a few places that are the only ones that you can leave things in and they will stay there.

Avernum, Geneforge, and Avadon in general allow you to leave things anywhere. Avernum First Trilogy doesn't allow items to be left outdoors. Also a few places change with time so don't leave things in Avernum 1 at Fort Remote and in Avernum 3 in most surface towns and the Tower of Magi.

Vendors in Avernum First Trilogy and the early Geneforge games will sell stuff back to you later at usually higher prices. But you may not be able to buy back everything if you sell too many different items. In Avernum 3, Levy in Fort Emergence is a special circumstance for items that you want to buy duplicates and there are a few vendors that restock in Exile 3.

Thanks again!

I have read through the forum etc., just couldn't find answers; I think most veteran players just assume this kinda stuff and never explicitly note it.

One more question: how persistent is the world? I.e., if I get sick of carrying stuff around, can I just drop it all in the middle of Fort Avernum and leave it all there to pick up later? How much later (is there a running clock in this game?)

There's a limit of 200 different items dropped on the ground in one map area before the game starts deleting them (a stack of identical items counts as one item). As long as you don't hit that limit, go nuts; whatever you drop will still be there at the end of the game.

If I steal something and then drop it in public, is it still flagged as "stolen" such that if I pick it up again I'll get attacked or whatever?

Nope. Once you steal it, it's yours -- or at least, it's not going to get any more stolen than it already is.

Really tempted to just drop all my old stuff in a big heap by the exit from the training dungeon. "Hey newbies! Have some fancy gear on me!"

It's pretty common to just drop excess gear in a pile. As you progress through the game you'll find a way to teleport between towns; leaving stuff near a teleporter is a sensible move.

On a similar note, if I sell something to a vendor can I buy it back later?

Don't count on it.

• 3 weeks later...