0% Parry and Other Questions

jimbob

Hello everyone. I had a couple of questions about Avernum 5. My first question is this: Why do enemies sometimes manage to parry or riposte with a 0% chance of doing so? I am sure I am not the only one who has seen this happen. I could not find it in the forums, presumable because % signs cannot be searched for.

My second question is this: Why, in general, does it appear that enemies have a higher percentage chance of parrying and riposting than is indicated in the message screen? For example, I sometimes find that an enemy can parry or riposte 3 attacks in a row, when the percentage chance of parrying is only 12%, giving the chance of doing so thrice in a row approximately .17% (I know that this will happen eventually at some point in someone's game, but it happens far too frequently for it to be statistically possible). This was generally the case in Avernum 4 as well, except it appeared to apply to both your characters and the enemy, but it is only advantageous for the enemy in Avernum 5 (as far as I can tell).

My final question is this: Does anyone have any idea why giants in Avernum 5 (and 4, if I recall correctly) drop spears? Stone behemoths in Avernum 5 also drop bronze halberds, so the general idea is that giants drop pole weapons. Since when did giants use pole weapons? They always punched in the first Avernum trilogy, and enemies dropped random things in the Exile series, so you could not know what the enemy used for fighting. Thanks in advance for any responses.

I've seen weird streaks of parry and riposte for monsters. Play the game long enough and you will see them. You have to remember it's always possible to get streaks even if they are low chances. Jeff may have hidden bonuses for monsters that make them more probable.

I wanted to know in Avernum 5 how slimes could riposte. :)

Item drops are set by monster descriptions. Whatever is programmed for a possible drop is what you can get. I know some of them don't make any sense. Avernum: Escape from the Pit fixed it so giants mostly drop rocks. :(

My final question is this: Does anyone have any idea why giants in Avernum 5 (and 4, if I recall correctly) drop spears? Stone behemoths in Avernum 5 also drop bronze halberds, so the general idea is that giants drop pole weapons. Since when did giants use pole weapons? They always punched in the first Avernum trilogy, and enemies dropped random things in the Exile series, so you could not know what the enemy used for fighting. Thanks in advance for any responses.

They have to pick their teeth with something.