Boxes requiring D class magical protection?

In Avernum 3 one can access a secret tunnel from the outer north-west of the Portal fortress, which leads to 3 boxes(chests?), the game message popping up when you get near them states that there is a red button but that you must have D class magical protection if you intend to push it, (you instantly die without it), so does anyone know what is this "D class magical protection and where can I get it", thanks.

I think the boxes are supposed to be the explosives that go off when you push the button. The sign next to them says "emergency portal access", I think this is supposed to be how the Avernum army would retake the Portal Fortress if it were to fall into enemy hands. Not anything to do with your story, just a way of showing how important the portal is to Avernum.

And I took the buttons in Avernum 3 and in Avadon to be examples of how messing with powerful magic you don't understand without any sort of precautions is a good way to explode.

—Alorael, who found this especially true throughout Avernum. That series is all about crazy people doing crazy magical things. X might as well be the poster child of the setting. Damn the practicalities, lob anvils!