Code Discussion Thread

Celtic Minstrel

I earlier recommended that people pass around the hat, see if they can't raise money to hire someone who does know how to program, unlike me. A lot of people won't be able to contribute financially.

Alternately, you could take a few months to learn how to program, it is not that hard from what I can see.

We lost Ormus, now we may have lost someone else. There are few people who know how to program in the Blades community and we keep losing them.

Hex-editing can only correct a few errors, things like data structures. It can't rewrite the program in fundamental ways.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you were a programmer... I can program, but there's two problems: I'm not familiar enough with the Carbon API (or Win32 API) to handle that part of the code. Someone has suggested using wxWidgets... I wonder if it would be worthwhile to simply write the API code from scratch using such a library, and then keep the game mechanics code and improve it. (I hope that makes coherent sense...)

Quote:
Originally written by Ishad Nha:

January 15:

It is the Type Flag, this is an unsigned char (according to the source file global.h) thus it has permissible values from 0 through 255 only. Thus the "0 - 1000" mentioned by the Scenario Editor is wrong.

What has January 15 to do with anything? smirk Anyway, I think this was a known bug.

Quote:

Custom item graphics, the documentation says that 150 is added to the custom graphic sheet slot number to give the graphic number. In practice it seems to be 200,

That doesn't make any sense, because it works when you add 150. Maybe it adds 200 only when in the shop screen?

Quote:

and the item graphic number is "char", hence has a maximum value of 255.

This limit is mentioned in the documentation.

Programmer, no I am not. I am self - taught, and not well taught at that. I also lack reference materials.

"January 15", that is the particular post that I am replying to, in WikiEncyclopedia terms this is a disambiguation device. I could have said "your post on January 15 this year". This topic has ranged over a whole lot of distinct individual matters, so I am referring to one in particular.

My post on May 4 makes it clear that the item graphics bug appears in one place only: the shopping screen.

I am pointing out the significance of char, there is a maximum of 105 slots and you will need each item graphic to appear twice: once for the inventory and once for the shopping screen.

Quote:
King InuYasha :
It has been quite a while since it was announced the change to GPLv2, and BoE/win32 is stagnant since then.
Oh, so the license has changed! Great! I will make aproporiate changes in BoE for Win32 soon!

Quote:
Originally written by Celtic Minstrel:
Ormus has not read my message yet, so he either doesn't check his email often or has disabled email notification of private messages.
I have disabled email notification. :-/

EDIT:

License changed to GNU GPL 2! :->

Yay, Ormus is back!

Yay, a carbonized character editor is now available!

Also:

Quote:
Originally written by Miramor :

On a more serious note, I've wished for a while to introduce stat boosting/draining potions to BoE, and wholeheartedly approve of anything that might further that goal.

I've added this to the suggestion list.

I've added another idea that I just thought of:

Quote:
When creating a new scenario, allow a choice of bladbase.exs files.
Basically, the scenario editor uses the bladbase.exs as a template to create a new scenario, copying its item, monster, and terrain list, and town 0 if requested, and resizing the outdoors and adding towns, if requested. So, extend it to give you a choice of templates.

One template would be the normal bladbase.exs, another might have an empty item list, a third may have a terrain list tailored for a cave scenario rather than a surface scenario. I already do this by having several scenario files, renaming the one I want to use to "Blades of Exile Base".

The game itself doesn't use the bladbase.exs/"Blades of Exile Base" file, does it?

Quote:
It might be used by the Scenario Editor for creating monster, terrain and item records in a new scenario. I have not checked this last theory in the source code.
The monster, terrain, and item records are copied from bladbase.exs into a new scenario.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

hmmm i remember this game...though it would be great if it went online and players with there own chars could battle or team up

Originally Posted By: **DONOTDELETE**
hmmm i remember this game...though it would be great if it went online and players with there own chars could battle or team up

Hmm, it is not impossible, but it requires to change BoE into half turn-based half real-time game. My friend made such a game long ago and it had GREAT gameplay. It was turn based but each turn lasted maximum 15 seconds. If all players made their decision before this time passed then turn ended immediately. I've played this game with other people and as everybody was acting quickly each turn ended in 1-3 seconds. Good old times... This games was played using telnet. :-)

Originally Posted By: Robsta
For signs, there should be an option for the designer to give two or more signs the same number (have the same text displayed). There are currently 15 signs allowed per town, and 8 per outdoor sections. I’ve run out of signs in a couple towns, and other designers might have the same problem. I believe this would be easier to implement than raising the number of signs allowed.
This suggestion was posted in the other suggestion thread, and it has been added to this list.

I also fixed the formatting on the list – it seems to have been messed up when the forum updated... smirk Or something...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if that's truly necessary, or even a good idea. I think the existing custom scenario option works well enough, except for the ridiculously low limit of how many scenarios it can list. If it could list 100+ scenarios, would you still want an Open dialog?

By the way, if any moderator is reading this, could you consider pinning/stickying it?

• 2 weeks later...

That's not a bug – it's supposed to work that way. If you want a terrain change to be kept upon returning to the town, you need to set up the town entry node to change the terrain if necessary.

Edit: I suppose it could be considered a feature request, but I'm not really sure how it could be implemented while retaining the old behaviour.

I mean a "map of the fields". While in BoE this is a list of fifty preset fields and their locations, in Exile 2 it is an actual map: 24*24, 48*48 or 64*64 as the case may be. Because every square is listed in the map there is no actual limit to the number of fields.

(In E2 small towns are 24*24 not 32*32 as in BoE.)

BoA has 60 fields rather than the 50 of BoE, but apart from that they work the same way.

If there are no fields it creates 1, 2.25 or 4Kb of empty space, depending on the town size. (These are the sizes of the relevant town maps.)

I don't know how to reduce the wasted space. Dynamic data storage here would have a mechanism for recording the number of consecutive zeroes. A short number following a hexadecimal FF? Here some of the combinations are less likely: Quickfire would destroy webs, barrels and crates presumably.

Both of you are right about BoA, you've just talking about different things. The limit of 60 refers to 'placed fields', those created in the editor, while the game actually creates a field map for the entire town during play. The former is apparently intended to minimize wasted space in the town record, while the latter allows for situations like quickfire filling the entire town. I assume that BoE uses the same idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm... it's a good idea, but what I'd really like is to get rid of those menus altogether in favour of choosing items and monsters from the terrain palette area. It would mean that you need to choose whether to show terrain, monsters, or items in that area, which means it may be complicated to implement since the BoE editor (unlike BoA) does not already have the capability to change the palette...

Even with that change, a "recent" or "favourites" list may be useful...

Boats are meant to be able to hold the entire party and their gear. Yet in a town they are always smaller than one PC.

(Fixing this would be a problem, you would need multi-icon boats where all the icons move together as the party rows around a town. Then you need to retain the present single icon boats for use outdoors.)

I agree, a couple notes.

A) I think it should be adjustable, like town boundaries, with the default as it currently is. (this is so that scenarios that are currently made will still work the same way – won’t be broken or rendered impossible, but the advantages above are available.)

B) For some reason, the current border is 4 on the left and top, but only 3 on the right and bottom ?!? Search me for a reason why.

Yet another bug...

Also: when you have an icon with more than 5 of those little icons on it, they overflow onto the terrain above it. Could this be fixed (have it put the 6th on the bottom, next to the first one), or better yet, have an option to get rid of them all-together.

Example: Having an open (locked) portcullis As a North, West, south , and east entrance, than putting a special encounter on it. Probably won't happen, but hey, it's still a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Have the "Display Small Message" call text-wrap. Figuring out where it cuts it off is such a hassle.

When you have a custom graphic on a monster/terrain/item, you can not see the graphic for the m/t/i that you are editing. The space where it is is blank...

When you are in the zoomed out view when editing terrain, custom graphics appear as just black, only standard graphics show up. That need to be fixed.

What do you think I've been working with recently? tongue

Originally Posted By: w-dueck
When you are in the zoomed out view when editing terrain, custom graphics appear as just black, only standard graphics show up. That needs to be fixed.

That’s puzzled me too … when you play the scenario you can see custom terrain on the automap, but when editing zoomed out it appears black. Why?
Ps. sorry, but grammatical errors, probably due to typos get monitored here.

My understanding is that the zoomed - out view comes from the very small graphics found in the upper right corner of "mixed.bmp". Thus the game has no provision for custom zoom out graphics, it just replaces them with little black squares. By contrast, the ordinary 9x9 view uses the custom graphics.