Weird BoA Bug!

Dark Sniper

Hey Spiderwebbers, today I decided to go to the basics and started playing Valley of Dying things. I move out of Fort Talrus, then this wacky glitch comes up. You know that the generic sound of entering a town is some blowing horns. But what I heard is a TV distorting sound for like a split second and then the battle starting sound. It happened when I was going to Sweetgrove, a bunch of goblins followed me. So I decided to go to Sweetgrove quickly. But my party and the goblin party entered it at the same time.

And then the aforementioned sound occured. And then guess what.....?

The battle started INSIDE Sweetgrove!

Yes sir! I saw the whole town. The guards are helping me kill the goblins. And also one goblin was stuck on a wall. LOL

Plz help?

There are some other bugs I found.

I cast Ice Lances, game crashes

Rakshasa Graphic glitched up

Bolt of Fire, misses everytime.

Arrows deal up to 1999 damage.

Every Buy/Sell store is empty.

Corscendata is not readable. Everything is squares.

Every scenario that is opened in the editor can never be played after closing in the editor.

HELP!

Only a god party fixes everything up.

Less likely is a virus is causing the problem, but several games have file corruption problems that require reinstalling the game. Registration and saved games don't get affected when you reinstall except for Geneforge 4 because saves are stored in the game folder. All it takes is some wear on the hard disk to mess up a sector that has the program.

I don't have Windows 7, it may not have such a mode. Check in your Help and Support for information about compatibility.

In XP, find the program in Windows Explorer, it is called Blades of Avernum.exe. Right-click on the name of the program to bring up the context menu. Then click on the word Properties, you should then see a Compatibility tab. Go for it.

It should only affect Blades of Avernum.exe, it should have no effects on persona.

I don't have Windows 7, it may not have such a mode.

It does, here's a couple screenshots for your convenience:

4e03c792.png

79976941.png

I would recommend either 2000 or one of the XP modes, maybe try canning themes and composition. Admin might help too if it's installes under Program Files or another protected directory

Corscendata is not readable. Everything is squares.

This definitely sounds like a file corruption issue, that file is supposed to be plaintext, not binary. Highly recommending a re-install (might even install to a different directory, in case the filesystem tries to cut corners)

Edited by sylae
It's worth noting that I have no BoA issues at all on Win7x64, I'm thinking there's something borked badly on your system

Okay, I re-installed BoA, the squares are gone. But for the game not covering whole screen, I tried to run it in Compatibility Mode. But this thing comes up...

Untitled-1.png

Speaking of the above problem here is another picture linked to it.

The game screen goes to the right-upper corner of the screen and leaves some of the left-lower corner blank------------

Untitled-2.png

If the game is being overscanned (cut off) but the screenshot is fine, that's something with your monitor getting wonky when it adjusts resolutions. If there's an auto-adjust feature, it should clean it up for you, otherwise just fiddle with the display's settings once you get in.

That being said, BoA looks like rubbish when you blow it up so far. I'd recommend windowed mode, since full-screen is just going to make your high-resolution (presumably) widescreen monitor upscale an 800x600 source.

Edited by sylae
if you are insistent on full-screen, make sure that your monitor preserves aspect ratio, so at least it's not stretched out horizontally

I also turned on the 'Ask whether to change resolution in the startup' option in the game. Then I tried all the options that came by turning it on. But none of them worked. I also tried all the Compatibility options, not worked either. And for the in-game screenshot, I myself am amazed how the game cannot render the error in a picture. Does that mean I can't play BoA anymore?

PS: And windowed mode is not my style