Random comments

txmimi

A few thoughts regarding A5. . . I'm finding it incredibly difficult, especially compared to A4, Avadon and Avernum Escape from the Pit. I've tried to follow the tips about forming and training your party, then I changed to easy mode in the northern frontier, struggled mightily through the sentinels part and am now trudging through the howling chaos or whatever it's called part. I'm surviving only by using the cheats repeatedly. All my characters are levels 21 and 22. Sadly, the game stopped being fun many hours ago and is now just plain work. I'm determined to finish, though. I usually do a couple of replays of these games, to try different avenues, but don't see myself doing that with A5.

Thanks for letting me vent. . .

Part of the problem was Jeff changed things when the beta testers reached the next area after the Howling Depths. So all of a sudden the difficulty level rose due to these changes. Monster health is higher in the last half of the game, but you don't get much to compensate.

Get used to long, boring fights of attrition where you slowly whittle down your enemies' health. Control foe spell gets to be very useful to make a foe suck up the damage instead of your party.

I don't think I have control foe spell. . . when/how do I get it?

With very high Tool Use, it's possible to get into Minister Pilhofer's room upstairs in New Harston and learn it from a spellbook. Alternatively, you can buy it from Priestess Bela in Highground, which is right on the far side of the Howling Depths, so you won't have to wait too much longer.