Life in a Spiderweb Game

Questionably Legal

As for foreign organisms, I'd wager a guess and say that they wouldn't pose too much of an issue. Disease rarely actually shows up in any of the games. I'm sure there are others, but G3 being the only example I can think of off the top of my head; there's a side quest to cure a villager of a Shaper-made fungi. Even if they were an issue, healers and magical infirmaries are relatively abundant and seem to be very good at their job.

It's mentioned several times that between the lack of light, poor food and weird fungi, most people get sick when they're first sent into Avernum, and they don't always get better. I mean, finding Graymold Salve to cure someone who's contracted a weird cave disease is part of a major quest.

It's mentioned several times that between the lack of light, poor food and weird fungi, most people get sick when they're first sent into Avernum, and they don't always get better. I mean, finding Graymold Salve to cure someone who's contracted a weird cave disease is part of a major quest.

Thank you for correcting me. However, this is probably more due to a combination of shock due to being held prisoner and then Exiled after a trial, insufficient vitamin D (no sunlight), and low-nutrient food, wouldn't you say? What I'm trying to say is that it's not due to an abundance of diseases in Exile that sickness is common among Avernites, but rather due to the environment itself.

Plus, there's that trait you can pick at the beginning where you're prone to sickness.

Avernum 2 actually has two examples of cave diseases, plus numerous illnesses from unspecified causes.

A small, pregnant woman with black, curly hair sits in the corner. She holds a small boy in her arms. His face is flecked with red, and he looks very ill. "I am Malka, and this is Daniel," she says, indicating her son. Malka cradles Daniel in her arms. Occasionally, he coughs, and she gives him a worried look. "Oh, I'm so worried, I don't mind telling you. My boy, Daniel is very sick. Some cave disease. A rare one."

You are shown to one of the longhouses. It is filled with desperately ill nephilim. Their fur is matted and covered with flakes of fungus, and their normally bright eyes are dim and blank.

Also, you forgot the "weird fungi" part of Lilith's post. The diversity of fungi, the typically warm and moist environment, and the reduced health of many Avernites is going to make fungal diseases a serious and common problem.

Thankfully, A2 shows us that Avernum is filled with benevolent adventurers who will fetch greymold salve and other medicine for random sick strangers (and even for normally hostile monsters like drakes) without expecting much in reward, so as long as disease doesn't kill you instantly, you have a good chance of not dying due to disease.

Dikiyoba.

• 2 weeks later...

Avernum 2 actually has two examples of cave diseases, plus numerous illnesses from unspecified causes.

Also, you forgot the "weird fungi" part of Lilith's post. The diversity of fungi, the typically warm and moist environment, and the reduced health of many Avernites is going to make fungal diseases a serious and common problem.

Thankfully, A2 shows us that Avernum is filled with benevolent adventurers who will fetch greymold salve and other medicine for random sick strangers (and even for normally hostile monsters like drakes) without expecting much in reward, so as long as disease doesn't kill you instantly, you have a good chance of not dying due to disease.

Dikiyoba.

Don't forget the classic case of Patrick's wife.

... and yes, I only remembered that because I've been playing through Avernum 1 again.

But... to the question at hand...

The problem with this scenario is "with no special advantages"... honesty, devoid of modern technology, I'm basically doomed in every respect of these worlds.

I'm a fat, geeky computer programmer - unless one of these world's magic translates over well (and I doubt that - the first apprentic to inadvertently cast an infinite loop would probably destroy all creation or something), I wouldn't really have much of a basis to go off of in any of these. I'd either be the raving, strangely dressed lunatic with nothing to offer, or immediately siezed as a magical anomaly and given the Alf treatment.

Then again, the whole "raving madman" thing might actually work out given the meta-knowledge I would have if the time period was right. Hm... Occupation: Prophet.