Geneforge 2 Let's Play!

After taking a few days to recover, BEHOLD! I come bearing a Let's Play of Geneforge 2, with a new shaper and a new game and stuff! What wonders are we to see? What terrors will we encounter? Will I be able to keep a backlog so that I don't run out of videos? TIME WILL TELL!

And if you missed my LP of the first geneforge, you can find it here!

But for now, it's time to begin. The first episode is below!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! Now I can start my G2 playthrough. I will be following along...I expect this G2 playthrough to be the longest I've ever played considering how often you update your post :crazy: . But that's fine. I like your pace, it adds suspense.

I'll be playing as a Missle Guardian who will summon up creations for aid. And will try not to use magic (though I cannot promise that)

Nice job with the voices Chessrook, and good start to your 2nd LP. :) I thought I may share with you how I allocated my skill points at the start. Since I am a missile Guardian, right away I put all my skill points into Missile weapons. Missile weapons are at level 8 as of now. The rest were put into Mechanics and Leadership. I am level 3 right now, and have Leadership at 5, and Mechanics at 8. When I reach level 4, I'll probably raise Mechanics and Leadership both once more. After that I'll leave it alone. There are TONS of items and things that boost these later :) . If you play it right you can get a +7 boost to Mechanics with items and books alone.

I boost them early so it gives me more exp. in the beginning, also makes your life easier. These boosts don't come til a little bit later.

Oh, and I gave my Guardian a cool name! Kor! (yeah its a bit of an exaggeration Lol).

Also, I would like to comment on your explanation of the Shapers and the game. Indeed, the Shapers have a good reasons to keep their powers and abilities secret from those who would misuse it. There are reasons they need to have total control over everything they make and do. Chaos will spread if something goes wrong, or if their powers get into the wrong hands. (and indeed "something" does go wrong, but I'll keep quite about that :) ). I do like the Shapers, but at the same time I don't.

I feel that the shapers are "too" protective over their powers and abilities. I believe that they are a bit arrogant, greedy, and fanatical at times. Though they are known to keep prosperity, they have their flaws (as you said). Also, the way they treat the serviles, at least in my opinion could be improved. Indeed, I feel the serviles are like slaves, brainwashed to obey them in every way, given no freewill. Given no intelligence! Then again, almost all what the Shapers create are given no intelligence whatsoever (other than Servant Minds). But I suppose its for a good reason. What you create should not be allowed to turn on your and stab you on back! But that does not justify treating them as slaves, and brainwash them into no freewill.

In a way, I appreciate the Awakened philosophy. But at the same hand, its almost an impossible feat! Everyone knows full well, the Shapers would never accept themselves equal to Serviles, their creations. They are the Creator, and the "creation" is never equal to that of the "Creator." So sadly, its a dream that will never come true.

All in all, of the difference factions, the Shapers/Loyalist win. The Takers, they're too insane in the membrane. They would do anything to destroy the shapers, including genocide and death. So yeah, that's just plain out insanity.

Anyway, before I go spoiling everything! I'll stop my comments right here :p . I mustn't say no more! Just to sum it up: I like the Shapers more than the other Factions in Geneforge series mainly because they keep prosperity, and keep bad things from happening. Yes, they are a little arrogant, and yes they may even abuse their power at times, but they at least keep disasters from happening. Which is good. The other factions have either destructive or mad thoughts and allow disasters to happen, and in no way have common sense on how to use this awesome ability to create life. And the awakened dream for the impossible...So yeah, Shapers are really the only faction I can agree with.

Keep up the good work Chessrook, I look forward to your next videos. By the way, are you going to have different pets than you did in the last LP? Or will it the same Fyora and Artila combo?

~RainbowDashRadical

Mmm, not sure what combo I'm going to end up taking, RainbowDashRadical, considering how difficult the game gets so very quickly, but we'll see as things go. I'm also aware of how the games go (I have beaten all of them before once each) and it's more some of the exact details that I forget. I mainly try to keep mum on everything for people who are watching without knowledge of what's coming or the like. Yanno?

In the meantime, HAVE MORE TALKING and MORE VOICES!!!

I know how annoyed you must be by not being able to control Zora, so I've made you a trainer that lets you do just that.

Open the trainer, open the game, and press L to permanently make the creation (or on this case Zora) in the third slot controllable.

Since it's not really a cheat per se, I think you can use this.

PS:no icon cuz I'm lazy, its not a virus.

http://www.mediafire.com/?y4c67wzu44psazy

While I appreciate the offer, Seraph, I'm going to go through the game without any mods. Want to keep the game going fresh and keep it as is, dealing with the frustrations myself.

Plus I've completed stuff way past the point where Zora eventually leaves you, so there's that too.

Anyway, have another vid.

I missed the LP of Geneforge 1, and I didn't bother watching because I'm kinda left behind, really weird if you posted your thoughts for the first LP while the creator is already in the making of the 113th episode.

-----

I suppose I could spare some time watching the first episode.

-----

-Nightwatcher

It's summer and the forums are mostly dead anyway, not too surprising I think.

I suppose, perhaps. At the very least I'm wondering what happened to Rainbow, since she/he/whatever said they were going to be playing alongside me, in their own way. I'm curious how that's going.

Ah well. In the meantime, have another episode filled with pain and stealth. And more pain.

If I can figure out whom I want to support I'll start G2 later, just got through G1 again.

Edit: Any particular reason you use the icons instead of say the "g" key to pickup or "f" to get into and out of combat mode ? Or how about quicksaving when you know you're about to do something stupid ? :D

If I can figure out whom I want to support I'll start G2 later, just got through G1 again.

Edit: Any particular reason you use the icons instead of say the "g" key to pickup or "f" to get into and out of combat mode ? Or how about quicksaving when you know you're about to do something stupid ? :D

To the first, habit. To the second, I didn't know that key. To the third, I edit out when I do saves, and I want to actually own up to when I do stupid things, instead of testing the waters and then reloading if it turns out to be a bad idea. Might add to the drama that way.

In the meantime, we've reached the Magus Complex. Wee!

Chessrook44, there is a quicksave feature. Quicksave is F10 I think and quickload is F9. It's good for those areas with frustrating fights.

Geneforge 2 is indeed more difficult than the first. Geneforge 3 is even more difficult and the Guardian's abilities have been nerfed... I humbly suggest that you consider playing a different class in part three.

Chessrook44, there is a quicksave feature. Quicksave is F10 I think and quickload is F9. It's good for those areas with frustrating fights.

Geneforge 2 is indeed more difficult than the first. Geneforge 3 is even more difficult and the Guardian's abilities have been nerfed... I humbly suggest that you consider playing a different class in part three.

Aye, thanks for the info on the Quicksave key, but I've been saving in a specific slot for fights. I just edit out the save window to save on time. And thank you for the tip for how G3 is harder. I'll certainly have to consider it, particularly considering how I'm starting to enjoy and really see the pleasure of having creations.

Either way, time to see just how crazy the Awakened are.

From horribly painful clawbugs to horribly painful traps. Are we here sooner than we should be or something? Jeez...

That area is probably the easiest area in G2 apart from the glaahk :p Looks like you died there more times than me in my whole run :lol:

Oh sure, that area is easy. The problem is the high reflexes and good perception you need to spot and take down the traps. If you miss one, it just creates a massive area that you can not enter without ending up in horrible pain and likely killed. And if you don't, your creations will be.

At least this next area is fairly easy, compared to the last two. It's refreshing.

Combat mode + speed makes it cake, only combat mode is doable too except for that big cluster. Even if you trigger one, due to being in combat mode you can be out of reach in a turn and then heal up. And triggered sprayers reset when you leave the area :) And of course, you have to disable your creations here.

Which makes me wonder why you still drag that fyora around ? It seems kinda useless with low to hit and damage. Not that the clawbug is much better.

Unfortunately, with no points in any magic skill I couldn't cast speed, leaving me with the few speed pods I had. And that didn't work in the big fortified location in the south edge as you saw. Ah well, I still made it through eventually.

In the meantime, here's the next area... POOLS!!!

You can sell the emeralds, you might want to keep 1 for a crafted shaped blade. There is a guy buying gemstones and emeralds at 80% who has unlimited money and is thus in general the preferred option but you don't seem to pick up much stuff to sell in general so your normal vendors won't run out and are thus the better option.

Did you find the lever for the door in NE Kss-Urg valley ?

No, I didn't find the lever it seems. But thanks for the news about emeralds, I'll sell most of them in my next recording session. It'll be a week or two till then though, in uploaded vids. Viva backlogs!

And for now, have a nice calm episode. I admit, I enjoyed reading for the golem.