Trajkov Dead and I haven't even played halfway

I had decided to play Geneforge 1 as an Agent, because never before have I played as an Agent in G1. I finished, and well, I'm don't really know what to say. She is very, very powerful in the end game, and I mean REALLY powerful. Let me discuss my strategy.

So I fired up the game, and raised my Spellcraft to around 7, then started raising Intelligence up, and that was really my only focus for the rest of the game... There was no need to put any points into combat, as there are plenty of points available, like Swan of the Awakened, the woodsman of Pentil, and also many canisters scattered around. And as for General skills, well because you can buy them for money and there are a few items that help with it, I only raised them by 4 points each. And then let myself gain them naturally through canisters or books. And then bought the rest with money. So the only things I sent skill points on were Spellcraft, magical skills like Battle, Mental and Blessing, and then Int. All the rest came naturally through either books or Canisters. Now here is the kicker...its possible to get an Agents Magic Shaping to 3 which enables you to make Terror Vlish and Glaaks, without spending skill points

So by the time I was heading to Kazg I thought to myself, "Hmm...if I could get Terror Vlish, I'd literally be almost untouchable!" Now let me explain how I did this seemingly daunting feat.

There are 2 canisters of Vlish you gain by around reaching Kazg, one canister IN Kazg and the other is in the Cyrstal Burrow just past South Bridge. The other canister was in Holding 2. That wasn't too bad since my mechanics were decent, and Searing Orbs made quick work of the turrets

So I joined the Takers which gave me the Amulet. That allowed me to freely pass through Sholai lands. Which is important if I plan to get Terror Vlish. Because the only thing I was missing was a Magic Shaping skill of 3. And of course I'm not going to buy a level in that. Those points are better used Elsewhere :) . So I traveled the Shloai lands, grabbed the canister of Magic Shaping. Then I did what I knew would hurt very badly. I went into the Sealed Labs . And I'll just say, playing the game on Torment being a level 13 Agent, it was not fun. It was marathon of me instantly dying continuously. However, after hundreds of reloads, I managed to do it. And its something I won;t do again :rolleyes: . But hey the rewards were great: A nice band that gives you +1 in each stat, and Tek's Dirk which protects me from practically every blow that comes my way. And most importantly, a good boost to my skills, such as, say Magic Shaping :D . And finally I obtained the last point in Magic Shaping from the tombs. Now I was finally able to make Vlish.

And please note, I had not even talked to Masha and the Rebel outside. I hardly had done anything around Kazg. My only determination was to get Terror Vlish, and I actually did it. And because I had high enough Intellgience, I was able to spawn around 2 of them without effecting my essence pool. So after making the 2 terror Vlish, I made my way to there importantly places such as the Icy tunnels which gave me +2 Spellcraft. I went to the Servile warren grabbing good canisters, and also explored much of the Sholai lands. I did not however explore the South Workshop. Because at this point I was eager to try an experiment with my Vlish. I wanted to see if I could kill Trajkov.

So I made my way there, (grabbing other skills along the way), greeted him and then prepared myself for battle. This included hasting, blessing, and protection (from the rod). And I'll just say, it was quite comical. Everything my Vlish touched...they terrorized it. None of trajkov's goonies could touch me because the were all scared to death. Not to mention I myself charmed a beta which in turn killed a Drayk. And what was better, is near the end Trajkov himself became filled with terror, so I made quick work of him with my searer balls. The battle was too easy. And I was only level 16!!

I'll just say after I did that the game was rather boring. And I was not even halfway done. I would still need to explore the mines, the arena, The wastes, meet Goettsch. And much more. There were at least 30 other areas I hadn't completed. I'm not exactly sure I was supposed to kill Trajkov this early on, but I managed.

My advice for an Agent build (in G1 anyway), if you want to get powerful in end game, strive toward making Terror Vlish. Once you do, nothing will touch you, EVER. Its worse when everything is sped up. Because your Vlish get more chances to cast terror. Not to mentioned you yourself could cast terror, or if you want charm something. So yeah, Agent's are most certainly powerful in end game.

~RainbowDashRadical

Hi guys, thanks for all the responses. I would like to give a breif update on my Agent. I have been traveling around to other places. Since by killing Trajkov I pissed off all the Sholai and the Takers. So I razed Kazg to the ground, and even tried my luck on the Bridges. Both bridges did require some amounts of Reloads, however it payed of in the end. That Augmented Sholai gave 65 exp! I would say by far he is the most dangerous hostile character in the game. Alongside Trajokov and Goetsch I should say. :) I also grabbed the Control Rod and destroyed the Geneforge. That gave me an instant 2 levels believe it or not :D . Used the skill points to increase End. I suppose I could've spent more on Int. It'd allow me to make a few more creations. Speaking of creations...this gets me to another point.

I joined the Obeyors and obtained my point in Fire Shaping, used the Shaper Robe, and 2 extra points from the Sealed Labs and Tombs. So I have a skill level of 4 in Fire Shaping. Well, what amazes me, is that my Agent can make 3 Drayks :rolleyes: . 3 drayks and still have ~100 essence left over! For me, I think its disgustingly over-powered

For a build that is not supposed to shape well, this astonishing. By a long run, my Agent is very powerful. Not only can she cast power magic spells, do decent combat, but she can Shape! The Shaper himself could summon around 5 Drayks near end-game. How the heck can my Agent get 3! I'm even more deadly when everything is sped up. Oh and I should mention I'm only level 18.

My current Essence is: 357. HP: 200

Anyway, my next experiment is to go through the Shaper Crypt and see how it goes. And I hope you playthrough goes well whoever you are with the symbol in your name. Please let me know how it goes. :)

~RainbowDashRadical

Alright I am finished with the game. There is not much left for me to do. I killed Goetsch, done the Shaper Crypt, finished other pointless areas. So I headed to the East Docks and finished the game. Easily killing the three Augmented Sholai. Oh and I cleared eastern docks Solo btw No Drayks helping me :) So here are my end-game stats for the curious:

Agent - Level 22

Str - 10

Dex - 11

Int- 18

End - 15

Melee - 7

Missle - 4

QA - 8

Anatomy - 3

battle magic - 10

Mental Magic - 10

Blessing Magic - 7

Spellcraft - 10

Fire Shapin - 4

Battle Shaping - 3

Magic Shaping - 3

Healing Craft - 6

Leadership - 8

Mechanics- 14

Luck - 30

And my abilities/creations were also crazy powerful. I gathered every canister/tome in the game.

These are my conlusions for G1, as it will be a long time before I do another playthrough (played it at least a dozen times):

I feel near end-game almost every build is extremely over-powered. Why? Well observe! There are so many canisters and skill points available in this game its nuts. Not to mention items, and the fact you can purchases three skills. I don't think the other Geneforge games allow you to actually use coins to by points in a skill. Take a look at my Agent's statistics. Obviously, they are not raw power from my obtained skill points. They were aquired through canisters, tomes, and items I gathered on Sucia Isle. Insanely overpowered.

With 600 essence pool, my Agent could easily cast up 5 Drayks. Yes they are weaker than a Shapers, but they still do 100 damage with their biting tactic. I did not however, grab a 3rd Drayk canister, so I didn't test out CyroDrayks, though I'm sure they are just as powerful, if not more. And as Randomizer said, she can augement these creations. And has the ability kill things on her own. Or maybe even cast the occasional dominate. With the Agent being able to do everything (Combat, Shaping, and Magic), the possibilities are endless. Infinite strategy options!

But in any case, though the Agent is powerful, practically every build is powerful if you set it up right. This is for all geneforge games. However, out of the three class choices in G1, I would have to agree to myself that the Agent "feels" much more powerful than the other 2. Doesn't mean she is superior, its just that it "feels" that way. I don't know why it feels that way. But it just does... It almost feels like a shaper, but able to cast insanely powerful spells. I can go Solo when I feel like, too.

Agent Flaws: there is one flaw with the Agent. But it is tiny in prospective. Creations that the Agent makes tend to die very often in torment. Things hit hard, and Drayks themselves have not even 300 health. If you are swarmed by a bunch of Drayks and Battle Beta, expect half of your Drayk army to die. And if you use a weaker creation (like Vlish), expect all of them to die by the time the battle is over. Of course as long as "you" survive, you still win :) .

~RainbowDashRadical

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished the Eastern docks with my solo lvl 13 Guardian. It was really risky/hard but it was fun as anything sniping enemies with my javelins. Im of the opinion that any agent/guardian ranged weapon user is definitely overpowered. You basically get 3 attacks against melee opponents before they close. 1 attack to stun which they close to melee/never getting close, 2-round the corner-end combat-then start combat and 3-rinse and repeat with similar long distance/stun.

• 5 years later...

Trying my luck a few years later, but I am really enjoying this build 😎

How did you allocate the points when creating the Terror Vlish ?

I just reached the point where I can shape one and this is my first playthrough, so I am not used to shaping dynamics.

Edited by Guillaume

1. We here on the Spiderweb forums frown upon necromancy, so in the future please try to make new thread with a link to an old thread, rather than commenting upon the old thread. It can be confusing for readers who don't notice the timeskip in the middle of the "conversation." If you hope the author of the old thread specifically will respond to you, you could also try messaging them.

2. In G1, the biggest factor in creation strength is your own shaping stats, followed by leveling; creation mechanics vary throughout the series, but the most important factors in creation strength are always either shaping skill level at time creation, or leveling up. Creations don't actually get SP like you - every point you upgrade consumes your essence. Plus, creations automatically gain stats as they level up, without you "allocating points" at all. In no Geneforge game is it really worthwhile to add points to a creation by spending essence, beyond giving it the minimum two points of intelligence so you can control the creation in combat. If it's too dumb, it'll function like a friendly NPC, fighting on your side but under computer control.

Thanks for the answer in 2. that totally helps and I am going to spawn those 2 Terror Vlishs right away.

As for 1.,  may I know once for all what is the rationale of ''frowning upon necromancy'' ? I am playing old games for the first time, hence I necro a lot.

My post ties 100% into the thread, there is no answer anywhere else and the game has not been updated for ages, meaning the answer is still relevant today.

So, beyond the sadly too common appetite for passive aggressiveness behind a screen, is there a tangible reason for disliking forum necromancy ?

If there is one, why not locking the topic when the forum authorities reckon the time has come ? 

And last but not least what is the time limit between 2 posts  to be in the necro-free zone ?

Edited by Guillaume

16 minutes ago, Guillaume said:

As for 1.,  may I know once for all what is the rationale of ''frowning upon necromancy'' ? I am playing old games for the first time, hence I necro a lot.

My post ties 100% into the thread, there is no answer anywhere else and the game has not been updated for ages, meaning the answer is still relevant today.

So, beyond the sadly too common appetite for passive aggressiveness behind a screen, is there a tangible reason for disliking forum necromancy ?

This really is the way things are done here -- Triumph wasn't being "passive aggressive," he was letting you know for the future.  I'm not sure there is a more direct way to do that than just to say it... :)

Your post is definitely relevant to the thread, in terms of subject matter!  The problems with posting in threads that are this old are more about context: outside topics relevant to the original conversation (such as the features of current Spiderweb games, plans for remakes, the game industry in general, etc.) have often changed dramatically; because most threads don't cover a span of so many years, once the thread has been resurrected, most readers are unlikely to realize so many years have gone past, and confusion and misunderstandings ensue.  This really does happen.

In fairness, most topic necros are FAR LESS relevant, and have far less substance, than yours.  Maybe if they were all like yours, we wouldn't discourage topic necros so much.  But most of them are awful... and so we do.

Bottom line though, there's not really any down-side to simply making a new topic and linking to the old one.  It's clearer for many readers, and it doesn't cost the person making the post more than maybe 10 seconds.

I hope that explanation makes sense.  Also, just a reminder for everyone, let's give each other the benefit of the doubt.  It's hard to read emotions in forum posts.  And on that note, yup, definitely time for this thread to end.

• Slarti locked this topic