Help playing as a fairly new Celt in Resurrection (especially the Goblin Pits)

I've done as much as I can in the pits and am about to start toward the Ruined Hall. My problem is that there are places I can't reach.

On the map of level two in the Book of Answers, it shows three rooms and a stairway that are on the other side of a body of water. I don't know whether the stairs go up or down, but they don't connect to any stairs I've found on the first or third level. I foolishly assumed that the spell that allows you to walk on lava would also allow you to walk on water, but it doesn't. How do I get to the other side of the water?

On the third level, I can't get into the Goblin Treasury. Again, I foolishly assumed that the portal opening spell would unlock the gate, but it doesn't. Where is the key?

Near the lava pits at the lefthand side of the third level there's a room with three vapor rats that has a ledge around two sides. There's a body on the ledge, but I can't get up there. How is this accomplished?

Finally, it's been several years since I last played, and I don't remember how spells are acquired. My combat druid has level 8 in combat and level 6 in beast spell skills, but only up through level 4 spells. Similarly, my healing druid has level 7 in healing and 6 in craft spell skills, but still only four levels of each type of spell. How do I learn the higher level spells?

Some areas are only accessible by Romans. Other places can't be reached unless you talk to certain NPCs.

The area beyond the water is after you talk to the Hags of Hagfen and is Roman only area in the original game and Celt in the Resurrection remake.

The Goblin Treasury needs Roman tool use from a character you can get to join later in the game or I know in the original game you could get by with very high dexterity.

The body by the lava pits is accessed by a secret door from a corridor to the north of the rats. This games has several places where you need to walk through walls and you can figure them out by looking at the map for areas you can normally get to.

Spells are bought or especially for Nether spells from spell books or rewards. Ask around in your starting place and towns.

Thank you, Randomizer! Because you responded so quickly, I reward you with additional questions (anyone else should feel free to chime in):

Are the Hags of Hagfen the same as the Three Crones? Corollary question: Is Hagfen the swamps that surround the Crones' hut?

My Celtic group is comprised of two fighters and two druids. The druids have clothing (druid robes, trousers, gloves, boots), leather helmets and small wooden shields. They have no levels in armor wearing, and they both generate 4 AP/turn and move third and fourth. (Usually our opponents move after the combat druid and before the healer, but a few move before the combat druid.)

The fighters each wear clothing (trousers, gloves, boots), an iron helmet, chainmail and a large shield — metal for the tank and wood for the other. They each have two levels in armor wearing. Until recently, the tank was pretty consistently getting 5 AP and moving first, and the other 4 AP and moving second. (Only one monster has been fast enough to slot between them.)

Once I realized that the tank was absorbing about 60% of the damage inflicted upon the party, I switched his wooden shield for the other fighter's metal one. To reduce the load the healer was hauling around, I also switched helmets with him, which didn't affect the defense of either (both 6%), but added a couple of pounds to the tank. Now the tank is alternating between 3 and 4 AP, though still moving first. Since he's at the front of the group, this is humbugging me. I'm assuming the large iron shield is just too much for him, although it didn't appear to be too much for the other fighter.

The questions here are: How many additional levels of armor wearing would the tank need to get back up to 5 AP? And, considering how much more effective the magical shield spell is than all the defensive equipment put together, should I just revert to leather and wood for both fighters? (They wouldn't give up their chainmail.)

Finally, for now, Celts can buy healing herbs inexpensively from the healer just outside Shadowvale. Is there anyplace to pick up energetic/spiritual herbs… at any price? My combat druid is running through power points like water. (I seem to remember having the same problem with my sole wizard when I played Romans some years ago.)

The Hags of Hagfen are a different group over two rivers from the Crones.

I don't remember the number of armor wearing levels you need. But as long as you can take the damage you could stock pile the better armor for later.

I tend to run back to town to recharge power points so I can save herbs and potions for later in the game where you don't have that option. There will be places that you can find them and others to buy them.

I don't follow the Exile/Avernum tradition of having a Priest and a Mage. I have one Druid initially build up Warfare and Healing.

While the other Druid develops all Circles at the same pace. By skimping on Endurance, he can start the game with Spirit Ceremony.

In Spiderweb games, Bless/Haste spells can be very helpful in combat, they are also cheap.

In Spiderweb games, Bless/Haste spells can be very helpful in combat, they are also cheap.

The Nethergate version of Blessing is very cheap (2 power), but their version of haste costs 12 power, which is quite expensive even for my current 6th level characters, especially since it has a shorter duration than either Shielding or Blessing. Most of the time Haste is a luxury I can't afford, though I did just use it on two characters in my last fight.

ince I'm usually fighting in doorways or narrow corridors, I'm finding it more cost effective to start by Shielding my tank, then Blessing the tank, followed by the other fighter. After that he could Shield the other fighter or Bless the healer (who provides some missile support), but usually he throws three flame bolts, and those spells give me more utility for my 12 power than briefly Hasting one fighter.

I suppose I could try Hasting the combat druid. Would that allow him to throw two spells in a round? That could be useful.

I tend to run back to town to recharge power points so I can save herbs and potions for later in the game where you don't have that option. There will be places that you can find them and others to buy them.

If you carry some food around with you, you could just leave the adventure site (go outdoors) and camp briefly to recover power. I don't know whether that would also recover the special ability of regenerating half (rounded down) of your power.

Thank you for your responses. I've now finished the Goblin Pits, except for two rooms on the third level that are behind forcefields. I'm going to have to wait until I'm MUCH higher level than 6th before I can survive that specter/ghost/whatever. He killed two of my characters in one round without my affecting him at all.

• 3 weeks later...