jeff just took my sanity

The first Avernum game i played was A EFTP, and was great. Now im with Avernum 2 and it´s hilarious how imbalanced and broken some things are in that game. For example, the summon problem. As there are no limits, you, and your enemies can summon 10839894 pets wich could make an entire room or area to be filled in a real battle that is... but when you face another mages that can summon demons, wich they can summon as well another pets with "call aid", it´s just ridiculous, and sometimes, impossible to win. Enemy mages can dispatch your heroes quite easily also, with their multiple target spells, instead of area of effect spells, the normal thing in EFTP. I found by far much more difficult Avernum 2 than EFTP, though it´s playable and fun to play despite it´s flaws. You got to be very careful where you wander in Avernum 2 to get exp without it being too difficult to level up. I suppose in the old Avernum 1 was similar.

Glad Jeff decide to remake the series, he will win reputation with it.

The first Avernum game i played was A EFTP, and was great. Now im with Avernum 2 and it´s hilarious how imbalanced and broken some things are in that game. For example, the summon problem. As there are no limits, you, and your enemies can summon 10839894 pets wich could make an entire room or area to be filled in a real battle that is... but when you face another mages that can summon demons, wich they can summon as well another pets with "call aid", it´s just ridiculous, and sometimes, impossible to win. Enemy mages can dispatch your heroes quite easily also, with their multiple target spells, instead of area of effect spells, the normal thing in EFTP. I found by far much more difficult Avernum 2 than EFTP, though it´s playable and fun to play despite it´s flaws. You got to be very careful where you wander in Avernum 2 to get exp without it being too difficult to level up. I suppose in the old Avernum 1 was similar.

Glad Jeff decide to remake the series, he will win reputation with it.

Thats lame. I was originally going to get Nethergate: Resurrection but since that looks exactly like the original Avernum's I'm sure its just as ridiculous. The regular undead in the original Avernum are just plain old brutal. They get like 8 attacks and some can put you to sleep and some can do other things. I understand that Jeff wants to be faithful to old school games like Ultima but I don't even want to know what some of the bosses are like. They probably get 12 attacks with each hand and can dual wield!

In Avernum 2 i haven´t yet seen undeads with 8 attacks, though Minor demons has 5-6. Undeads didn´t gave me that many problems, i remember ghouls having 3 attacks... many normal creatures had the same number. Maybe it´s that Avernum 1 is worse even than 2, don´t know.

It´s dual wielding on Avernum 2 possible?.

Im definitely going to eventually try Nethergate and hope to complete it. From what I've read, its very very good although didn't sell well.

The new way I like to get through the older games is by getting the hint book and that way I am more informed. I used to think it was a weakness to get through any of the games by switching to easy, but now I found a better way. Go through almost all the game on normal and when you hit a rough spot, switch to easy only to switch back to norm after the boss/whatever fight you had trouble with.

I did it with Avadon the first time I fought the mindtaker Zhossa and now because of it, I can do it easily on normal.

Do many people buy the hintbooks? I think they are very helpful and I would urge jeff to advertise them more on the game's page. So far they have saved me a lot of aggravation in Avernum 5 :)

That is why I like to have two PCs who can cast Haste. If you have only one pure mage and he gets slowed by a Quickghast, you're not going to have a pleasant day. Having two increases your odds of surviving such an encounter.

Battle rage at level 3 casts Haste + bless. If you have any char with level 1 priest spells you have that haste guaranteed in everyone in your party.

quickghasts and other enemies usually get 3+ attacks per round, and also their attack is slow so it is very hard to fight them. when you have difficult battles try using tactics like:

- use terrain, and particularly doors, when possible, to minimize the amount of enemies that make contact with you at any given time, protect your magic casters and/or take cover from enemy casters that slow or cast spells (better yet stay completely out of their sight, most times you'll be lucky and they won't cast anything)

- A1 has the spell "beast ceremony" which is kind of a major bless all + a group haste, use it whenever possible. again, stay behind doors because unlike other versions of avernum, you can end combat, close the door and recast beast ceremony (it can't be casted if enemies are in sight)

- casting arcane summon sometimes brings up an eye beast or a demon if you're lucky, these can bless and haste your party as well

hope these are useful, and someone up here is right, a1 is probably one of the easiest avernums, so don't give up

These games are playable. If you are having trouble you will need to review your choice of skills or tactics or both.

Take down Mages ASAP, then go for the Priests, that saves so much pain. You will find that summoned monsters outlive their summoners.

You may need to save before tough fights. If you lose you may need to review tactics then try again.

• 2 months later...

This games are far from being imba or unplayable. A1 and A2 are my favourite parts of whole saga (i don't like second trilogy graphics), and there is always a way to win. If You go for too hard enemies stand back and level up a bit on softer enmeies (i was thinking that sliths in A1 were unbeatable when i was lvl 5...).