E1 party building

Carranzero

so, i just started playing exile 1 after a long time (the first version!) and went with the prefab party, but now i can see it's got some bad points like

Samantha... jack of all trades? priest, mage AND melee?

Ariel has points in edged AND pole weapons...

is bashing weapons for Nathan really worth it? wouldn't it be better to just focus him in archery? (tips are real: bows with poison RULE for killing mages)

is it worth to start with more than 3 points in mage or priest (i.e giving more spells at lv.4)

and basically any tips for party building. it's great to relive the game that got me started in spidweb!

It's been a long time since I played it, so when you start building mages and priests you want to maximize starting spells. So test what the highest spell that you could start with even if you don't have intelligence to cast it that often at the start. Otherwise you need to wait until Tower of Magi to get some like lightning whereas the lower ones are in Formello and Fort Dranlon.

Specialize in one weapon for each fighter at the start. Smite is a bashing weapon in Exile 1 with bonuses versus giants.

I went with 3 fighters, pure mage, pure priest, and mage/priest. But lots of other builds work well. I found near the end you want someone that can make potions to make energy potions from all those herbs.

The biggest problem is not enough slots to collect loot.

Save before recharging wands. :)

Randomizers recommendations are all very good. If you are into experimenting, you can check out my web site for the party build I developed playing Exile. Look for the link to the Mad Monk Squad.

It works well for Avernum as well, but it does not take full advantage of new features in those games.