A5 loyalist or prazac-ist

If you are sort of Loyalist and are willing to give up a later quest reward from the leader of the next area you can get additional training from the Loyalists. Then decide which side to pick.

I had a buggy save and even though I let Tholmen live I had to give up a special item to Ruth and then edit a script to give it back so I could get the later reward.

From a strictly munchkin perspective, you're better off with the Loyalists. It's less of a clear choice with Tholmen dead, since you have to give up a special item, and I think you get less access to training later on. (Can someone confirm that? I know he's a trainer later if you let him live, and my recollection is that you can't get that training from anyone else if you elected to kill him, but I wouldn't swear to that.) Even if you can't get that training, though (which would be a shame, as it's very cheap and teaches you a lot of skills, including a few you can't train anywhere else, like Riposte), you can still get very cheap training in high-level spells from Ruth, and loot their base freely before you head for the final dungeon. You'll wind up with about as much experience as if you chose Redmark's side, but with more treasure and training opportunities.