How similarly does the 2nd trilogy play to A:EftP?

Acrux

I'm about one-third, or halfway, or so through EftP (a little past finding the Tower of the Magi -- just did a quest to kill some basilisks) But, the battles are getting a bit tedious -- I haven't found any really great equipment for a while, nor any new magic, and I definitely don't have enough cash for purchasing upgrades (even with hoarding everything I find and the 10%x4 bonus for selling items).

So, I was thinking about skipping ahead to chapters 4-6. But I'm curious whether the gameplay is much different? The leveling screen looks similar to Geneforge.

The general game play - get quests, kill everything, collect rewards, repeat - is basically the same. The engine is different, and the skill system is very different.

The second trilogy, well let's say A5 and A6, are slightly more plot-driven than aeftp. More linear, much less sandbox.

Edit - I meant different than aeftp; the skill system is only a little different than Geneforge.

The best equipment usually has to be taken from the cooling bodies of the boss monsters. However once you get to the Great Cave there are several easy non combat quests that you can do to gain levels to make the other quests easier.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. Playing Avernum 4 is a good way to lose your sanity. Why won't that Shade die? This is only the Demo. :)

How would Avernum 5 and 6 difficulty compare to Avernum EFTP later on? I am playing EFTP and its easy at certain parts, yet brutally awful if I go and try something Im not supposed to. So mostly in the middle. It just seems that all of jeff's games have a few ways that they are hard.

1 of them is if you rush into a major battle without getting better equipment.

Another is when your lvl is lower than it should be. It seems that usually when I get further in Avernum 5, the game always ends once I get up to Lysstek the beast. That fight is just too hard and my party gets pounded into submission.

Avernum 5 had the problem that in the Azure Gallery Jeff removed the health increase from essence armor during beta testing. This made some encounters harder.

Jeff tried to make the optional Lark quests harder than a normal party would be prepared for when they first reach them.

• 4 months later...

As Randomizer Mentioned, West to the Great Cave in EftP can be a good place to gain a level or two if you tread carefully. Make sure you didn't forget to turn in any quests, and have cleared all you can in central and northern Avernum. While playing, I found a level or two often would be the difference whether a fight was tedious or challenging. There is a brief period (about where you are now) that it becomes very hard for a while to find good level-appropriate battles. But then afterwards it picks back up. And hopefully you didn't do like I did first playthrough and miss all of the Job boards untill halfway through the game!

Leveling in the second trilogy is different. I'll give details for A5 as it is what I am currently on. You start with a lot of skill points and get to apply them however you want. No skill trees (but some skills are hidden and only unlocked after adding points elsewhere - like a surprise bonus). I think you start with around 60 skill points or so, but different skills have different costs. Adding a point in strength/intellegence maybe costs 6 skill points, whereas adding a point to blademaster or mage skill may only cost 2 or 3 at first. Every level you get 5 skill points to distribute or save as you like. You get to take only two traits at the begining of the game, but those two are pretty powerful and scale up during leveling. You can play also as Nephil or Slitzeraki... however you spell that. Combat is also a little different. You can shoot an arrow next to someone, but you don't get the little grids. You get used to it quick though.