Avadon 2 Announced.

Spidweb

Looked at the Avadon 2 page, comes out on October 30th for windows and mac. 20 days and counting :) .

~RainbowDashRadical

P.S. I have never played Avadon series, but may give it a try. I'll wait for this to come out and determine whether or not I should play Avadon 1 first or this new one. From what I have read, I am not sure I'll like the first one.

You know, the problem with carrying characters forward is that it's hard to balance a game for new or veteran parties. But Jeff himself has complained about the way almost all games start with you controlling one or more total incompetents who have to grow to become badass heroes despite the process being central to all of his games. He could just as easily go the High Level Party Maker route and have games simply either import old parties or let you make a new one at a higher level.

But there's an even more elegant solution. Assume greater power without inflating numbers. In the second game your hero(es) are really impressive from the start, new or old, but they're still level 1. It's just that at level 1 they have a bunch of abilities and don't even have to bother entering combat mode when facing goblins and giant rats.

—Alorael, who thinks of this as the Mass Effect option of veteran characters. He's actually somewhat surprised Jeff hasn't hit on it already. Then again, he also really seems to like the nobodies to champions plot. Avoiding reusing old characters may be a deliberate style choice, not just a mechanical constraint.

I agree on Mass Effect as far as completing a playthrough on veteran, before replaying for max level on insanity and having balanced combat.

I can remember several games that feature the tutorial/introductory sequence with high level characters before starting at low level.

Also, I believe a couple games start with mid-level characters which lose strength over time (before the end, you can reverse this to attain high level).

at level 1 they have a bunch of abilities

This would be like Blades of Exile?

My personal canon is going to be that my PC in Avadon 2 is my PC from Avadon -- having had his/her mind complete erased after pissing off Redbeard and then dumped in a remote outpost where he/she can't do any harm ... which turns out to be the place where the action of Avadon 2 starts. Admittedly, this is going to be difficult to rationalize for Tinkermage run-throughs ...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

The release is just 2 days away and I am wondering: Why can't I preorder that game on Steam?

I am checking the "Coming Soon" tab for weeks and months now for Avadon 2.

Well, I mean at that point it's not a big deal to wait two more days, but my question is:

Doesn't that cost a lot of income? I can imagine that you get lots of additional sales just by offering a pre-order possibility. Is there any drawback of having the game in the steam library early?

Hey guys!

Is there any drawback of having the game in the steam library early?

You spent the money before finding out that the Steam version has a major bug caused by their wrapper so you can't play it. :)

At least Jeff will refund your money and he dropped the requirement that you curse at him for 5 minutes about the game.

• 3 months later...