Av. 1 - Sulfras - Untouchable Guards

Okay, so Sulfras basically wanting to coerce me into getting items for her and the text wouldn't shut up about how powerful dragons are and how weak I am... so of course I pick the aggressive conversation option and crush Sulfras without any of my party members getting to half health (Story-Gameplay Dissonance >_>)...

... and for whatever reason the pillars in the room (which seemed to get buffed along with my party members O_o) dissapeared and invisible enemies (Black Shades) appeared. I haven't had too much trouble with them in the past, but I CANNOT attack them! I've cornered them and I continuously try to walk into them to attack but my party members do nothing. I'm pretty much certain I'm not mistaken about their position because I surround them and I can see the spells coming from certain areas.

Question: Is there anything I can do about this? Is this a known bug? Should I just not fight Sulfras? What the heck?

The only way I remember fighting Black Shades and Guardians in the First Avernum Trilogy was physical weapons and Cloud of Blades area attack since you can't target spells on them. I don't remember problems with attacking them so check that they are set for melee weapons.

The only way I remember fighting Black Shades and Guardians in the First Avernum Trilogy was physical weapons and Cloud of Blades area attack since you can't target spells on them. I don't remember problems with attacking them so check that they are set for melee weapons.

You walk into enemies to melee attack them, right? Even if you can't see them?

I don't think I'm forgetting anything that I took for granted, but maybe I am...

Walking into them should work, yes. I'm not sure why it isn't doing anything in your case. Do any messages appear in the transcript window?

None. I try to walk into them and nothing happens at all. I made sure Numlock was on and everything.

... I think I've figured it out. For SOME REASON the Black Shades occupy the same space as the pillars which can be buffed (for whatever reason). The pillars in Sulfras's lair actually disspear when the fight starts, and then all the spells that come from the 'Black Shades' are actually coming from the position where the pillars were before!

I wonder what caused this...