Geneforge Let's Play!

Another episode here, and I think I'm going to start uploading more often: I've actually finished recording the entirety of Geneforge! Only half of it is uploaded, but still...

Now I need to start figuring out what I'm going to play as in Geneforge 2. I welcome suggestions (Including another Guardian, which I'm leaning towards due to it being my playstyle), as well as suggestions for cannister use. Tempted to keep it low to improve the ending chance and lessen being cut out of conversations due to Cannister Madness.

Hey, loving the series so far! Are you planning on playing the next ones too? If so, once the awakened faction vanishes for 3 and 4, which side do you plan on taking?

Oh yes, I plan on doing the ENTIRE series. As for who I'm going to be joining in the future games? For 2, 3, and 4 I'm not certain. I have an idea who I'll go for in 5 just because I like him/her/it, but for the others? Dunno yet. We'll see how things go.

Oh yes, I plan on doing the ENTIRE series. As for who I'm going to be joining in the future games? For 2, 3, and 4 I'm not certain. I have an idea who I'll go for in 5 just because I like him/her/it, but for the others? Dunno yet. We'll see how things go.

My personal policy for who to side with is to pick the side that is the nicest to creations without also having as part of their list of plans "overthrow shapers". :)

I've thought this to myself at least four hundred times this last month, but I actually might start watching this today out of boredom. Subscribing...

Hmm, have you played this before?

Yes, I have. I've played each of the demos several times and done a full playthrough ONCE. Each. Long ago. So long that it's close to a blind playthrough past the demo.

Oh by the way, you helped my decision to play the games again as a Guardian instead of a Shaper. The idea of being the powerful leader of a good army rather than the weak leader of a powerful army really appealed to me, and it'll help me adjust to my intentions of playing as a sorceress when I finally reach G5.

I'd say a Guardian would be more of a powerful leader of a Gurrella (SP?) squad than an army. But it probably depends on build. Remember, you're the front-line fighter, made to take the damage. Your creations are more support instead.

So many times Eliot gets hit and takes no damage. It's awesome.

You're like the only person on Youtube who has a Guardian build. For that, I commend you. Guardians rule!

I tend to like using fighter-type classes over things like summoners or mages or archers for a fairly simple reason. Sure, you shapers can command massive armies, you mages can throw devastating fireballs, and you archers can quash the dreams of an adventurer from 150 yards.... but when you run out of mana, arrows, or bodies, guess who's still kicking? ;3

Anyway, have a quick and relatively short video. Enjoy!

Actually, I think everyone's sort of screwed when their body's gone. :p

Yes, but I was referring to the Shaper's reliance on the bodies of their creations. When they can't throw any more fyoras and thahds at the enemies and their spell energy is drained, they're nothing more than a dude in a robe.

Actually, as a shaper, you're still pretty epic in combat even without ANY stats at all in melee if you have a decent Puresteel blade with acid enchantment and some heavy duty armor.

Seriously. Usually, shapers can hold their own against a single or two high level enemies. It's when you're a swarmed that it becomes a problem.

Maybe, I honestly haven't really played a Shaper before. I tended to assume that, due to how stats are, their main strengths were in casting spells and making bodies to zerg-rush or take the hits, leaving them not that strong in personal combat. Also, the Puresteel blade isn't present in Geneforge 1 so that build probably wouldn't work here. Later on though, perhaps, and I've been wondering which classes I'll try in the future. I've considered doing a different class each game, but at the same time, my playstyle tends to lend towards the Guardian's style, due to my preference for fighters and the like. Still undecided then, and even though I have G1 fully recorded, I haven't started recording G2 yet. Any input regarding which I should do (Full guardian run or different class each game) would be appreciated.

And here's another episode, wherin we begin our mighty trek into the wastes to find the only other Shaper on the island.

I did G2 as a missile Guardian and while you have to reload a lot at the start until you get use to the playing style, I did it without canisters or joining any faction.

Parry is broken in this game so you can get to 50% parry and 50% riposte to avoid a lot of damage. However once you reach that point more parry doesn't help.

Sorry for the double post...but I want to add something. Hey Chessrook, perhaps while you are posting episodes for G2, I'll do my own playthrough at the same time, and let ya know how things are going for me in it. We can play two different strategies. In fact, different classes :D . I'll do mine as an Agent, since Agent still has decent melee capabilities. I'm not gonna post any vids or images, I'll just make a post or two in between on my own progress, if that is alright with you? I feel it would be more fun to follow each other. Double fun! And fun is awesome :)

~RainbowDash

Sorry for the double post...but I want to add something. Hey Chessrook, perhaps while you are posting episodes for G2, I'll do my own playthrough at the same time, and let ya know how things are going for me in it. We can play two different strategies. In fact, different classes :D . I'll do mine as an Agent, since Agent still has decent melee capabilities. I'm not gonna post any vids or images, I'll just make a post or two in between on my own progress, if that is alright with you? I feel it would be more fun to follow each other. Double fun! And fun is awesome :)

~RainbowDash

I see no reason for you to do something like this. Heck I had actually coincidentally started my LP of Geneforge at about the same time some other guy was doing a playthrough on YouTube. He posted faster than me though... I think he's about done with G2. Still, go right ahead.

In order to get to Goetssh you must go through spirit city. In fact, I believe its the only way to get to him...Its not that hard. The ghosts in spirit city are neutral. (if you raid their houses, then things might get ugly between you and them) The hard part is getting through the battle beta, and vlish that are blocking the entrance into Goetchess palace (I know I'm spelling his name wrong :( ) Also, spirit city is where THE BIG SECRET is at.

~RainbowDash

If you want to know what THE BIG SECRET is, send me a mail, and I'll tell you how to unlock it.

I wasn't even aware there WAS another big secret to Sucia Island. I thought that building in Spirit City just had some loot or something (And by the way, yes I DO eventually go in there. I take both routes to near completion before visiting the shaper).

Until then though, have another episode.

To unlock the BIG SECRET, it involves those pylons you've been seeing around the rogue wastes, and the western part of the island. I'd tell ya how to unlock it, but I don't know how to apply spoiler tags?

So yeah, HOW DO YOU MAKE SPOILER TAGS!!! Never mind I figured it out Lol...

Okay here is how to unlock THE BIG SECRET!!

First you must start in Drayk Vale. You touch the pylon there, then you travel clockwise touching every pylon as you go around. Note if you touch in the wrong order you have to start over, so I suggest making saves as you keep going. The order to touch is: Drayk's Vale --> Ancient Crypt --> Diarazad --> The Junkyard --> Dry Wastes --> Western Wastes --> Spirit City. Once you touch the Spirit City Pylon you will be allowed to go into the temple, and then you talk to the ghost in there, and he'll give you instructions.

By the way, I loved how you totall destroyed those Sholai in Diarazad. I usually don't do that until end game. Lol. You are pro! Also, the Shaper Crypt is you could say a "bonus level" Its something you won't beat until end game (I suppose you could, you gotta be like level 20 or greater). Its also cool, because you gain insane amounts of experience no matter what level you are :cool: .

By the way, Chessrook. If you are going to use a Guardian in your G2 playthrough, are you going to use heavy Perry? Having Perry in that game makes you boss, and makes it super, super easy (even on torment). I'd still watch the playthrough, but I'd like it better if you try a different tactic then going Perry heavy, and seeing monsters bounce off you like tennis balls. :rolleyes: I've played this way before, and it became boring after a while :sleep: .

Oh, and here is a link. It explains how Perry is so darn overpowered.

http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/5664-parry/

~RainbowDashRadical

Oh yes, that dang aquatic mammal is incredibly overpowered. CURSE YOU PERRY THE PLATYPUS!!!!!! [shakes fist]

But no, much like when I played it before I would not be making a parry-heavy character. Sure I might put some points into it here and there, but that would just result in lower carrying capacity, lower hitting ability, and lower mechanical and diplomatic skill until late in the game. And that's just no fun.

Always want the well-rounded character!

Awesome. I think I have decided upon my character build as well. I believe I'll change my class to guardian instead of an Agent. This time around, I'd love to be the leader of a Squad. I have not decided on what shaping circle, but its a go with either Magic Shaping or Battle Shaping. I will not put any points into Magic skills...nope, none. I will try to make this a playthrough where no magic is involved. I may use spores and pods though, since in theory they don't actually count as magic. And I will be missile based.

But in any case, I won't start playing until you start uploading vids for G2. I plan to follow along with you, and won't progress my game any further than what vids you have posted. I'll make some occasional updates on my progress, and we can have fun talking about our tactics. I am very eager for your playrthrough on G2.

Out of all the Geneforge series, G2 is ultimately my favorite :) .

~RainbowDash

Could be fun, Rain! Just remember I'll be a bit ahead of you. Due to my situation (living in a house with family) I only do recordings when there's nobody else in the house, which doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes though, enough in a row can give me a good backlog. I have all of G1 recorded, for example, just only been updating once a day for the sake of it.

Speaking of uploads...