A6: Formello and points to spend!

Leaper

So I'm about to defeat the southeast slaver ring and finally enter Formello. I anticipate that mission to be full of nastiness - I envision something like the game-ending assassination in EFTP. Am I close? I defeat enemies in the area with relatively little issue (though if I go in the wrong way against those demon/summoner/acolyte groups, I do have problems) - will Formello be significantly harder?

Before I do, I want to do some character development. My lead character has 23 unspent skill points (partly because I fed him wisdom stuff because he's my lockpicker). He's one of my two lead melee fighters, the more defensive one (because he has a shield; the other, the slith, dual wields). He's from the Thief template, IIRC, so he has some archery skill. He was the first to 10 Endurance (though he, like the slith, is as dumb as a rock with 2 INT), and has some advanced skills unlocked.

What should I look at to buy for him?

Formello is pretty rough: there are endlessly respawning enemies, so the best thing to do is get in, accomplish your mission and get out. It's possible to scour the town for treasure, but not really worth it.

What do your fighter's skills look like at the moment? Blademaster and Parry are always good bets, if you haven't maxed out your parry chance already.

I thought so! How much exploring will I need to do to find my way to the objective? I assume it won't be quite as obnoxious as the EFTP one was?

The fighter is Divinely Touched, so he has 12 Parry and 17 Blademaster already. As for other stats, some of the more relevant ones: 8 STR and 6 DEX... 7 Melee Weapon, 4 Quick Action, 3 Quick Strike, 9 Luck and 8 Hardiness, 1 Resistance. I think those are the highlights.

Oh! And I was trying to figure out whether to use the 10 points on my nephil mage to increase INT (at 10 now) or further develop Priest spells for her. Thoughts?

The only priest spells for a mage at this point are Unshackle Mind and if you are close get Control Foe.

Maximize Parry at 17 since if it misses you don't have to heal and from now on you really need it for one fighter. Otherwise increase damage and unlock adrenaline rush battle discipline.

This late in the game it really isn't anymore since you aren't going to need priest spells if you haven't been using them. Earlier in the game it might have made a difference. I usually have an overlap in the early part of the game so both can heal and priests get to use the lower spell energy cost mage spells.

I see. Well, I have had occasional difficulty where one Mass Heal wasn't enough, and/or I had to get lucky with Haste to get in all the healing that round I wanted, but otherwise, I've gotten through fairly intact so far without using a lot of healing items. That doesn't mean that state will last for the rest of the game, though, which is why I asked.

Perhaps it's worth doing the other way - training my Priest in Mage spells...? Hmm.

• 4 months later...

I killed the Shadow and then Impaler in the arena. Can't figure how to get out of the city. Formello.!! Where is the pylon?

The escape pylon is in the southeast corner of the city, i.e., the bottom right of the minimap.

Pure spellcasters are the only kind I use, and I've done just fine with them.