Avadon 2 release date?

eaintree

I think that the new skill is for a modified Shadowwalker class since the left column is sword and throwing star and there is a lock picking skill at the bottom.

I see Jeff, I mean Redbeard is still in charge of rebuilding and is going to have Windows testing done earlier to keep the schedule.

One thing randomizer. If that isn't the new class then what in gods name can it be? There has to be a new class as it says 5 classes to choose from the page. Unless that is a mistake.

I'm trying to figure out how the Mac, Windows and iPad versions can all come out in the fall of 2013. It seems to take 4-5 months to test the Mac version. Jeff can start the iPad and Windows betas simultaneously, but it's probably about two months before those are finished. So, that would mean the Mac version in September and the others in November?

I absolutely cannot wait!

Except February next year would not be Fall 2013. Usually Jeff has been upfront about the gap, so if he says "Fall 2013" for all three platforms, probably he means it.

Maybe he got somebody in to port it for him? Or maybe he just did it as he went along, and that would account for the longer-than-usual production time. If he's eventually releasing on Steam/GoG/wherever, it probably makes sense to release both versions of the game at the same time to them, right? So he'll want to get as many sales from here before they end up there. And that means having both Windows and Mac versions available as soon as possible,

I spoke with Mariann today and she said that Jeff felt that since the 1st game was such a success, he figured to go all out on the sequel. I guess it makes sense with the extra classes, the extra portraits, male or female characters, 5 companions. With all that in place, this future christmas/september will be awesome.

Your computer is too old to run Snow Leopard? It's a shame that Jeff bumped up that requirement, though, since XP is much older and just about any remotely reasonable gamer will have it.

—Alorael, who supposes you could use Boot Camp if you have 10.5 and run the Windows version. That's clunky and annoying, though. Perhaps the change has to do with some system alteration that makes it easier to port if older Mac OSes are excluded.

So when will beta testing start? Any news? I want in!

Beta testing starts whenever Jeff decides he's completed enough of the game to test it. The first month or two is done by previous beta testers that are insane enough to do it again. Jeff posts in What's New when he wants more beta testers. Then he takes up to a few weeks to decide who he wants. About half the testers drop out.

Beta testing starts whenever Jeff decides he's completed enough of the game to test it. The first month or two is done by previous beta testers that are insane enough to do it again. Jeff posts in What's New when he wants more beta testers. Then he takes up to a few weeks to decide who he wants. About half the testers drop out.

Half of them quit, or half of them are removed? I can't fathom how it could possibly be as painful as you're implying :)

I spoke with Mariann today and she said that Jeff felt that since the 1st game was such a success, he figured to go all out on the sequel. I guess it makes sense with the extra classes, the extra portraits, male or female characters, 5 companions.

I kind of figured that this might happen. I think Avadon has been Spidweb's most commercially successful release so far, so he 1) has some breathing space to work and 2) has a really strong reason to make something that the broader fanbase will like.

This is good. I am looking forward to the new release.

Avernum 6 had lots of new beta testers never finishing the game because it was too hard for them with the bump in Scourge Slith health near Formello. Jeff had to tweak the game because the insane first round testers were able to get through to the end without commenting on the difficulty.

Jeff mentioned once that half the beta testers leave for various reasons. One if frustration at playing the same places over and over again as Jeff tweaks the game balance.

I kind of figured that this might happen. I think Avadon has been Spidweb's most commercially successful release so far, so he 1) has some breathing space to work and 2) has a really strong reason to make something that the broader fanbase will like.

This is good. I am looking forward to the new release.

Agreed and looking forward to the release. Also, I get the feeling the "market fundamentals" have changed, i.e., Jeff has been able to expand his ability to get new customers and increased sales from the advent of distribution networks like Steam, the Humble Bundle, gog.com, etc. Notice how Jeff has spent a lot of time pushing his older series on new distribution networks; it's almost pure profit for those games at this point. So yeah, comes back to what you said. Jeff likely has a lot more breathing room from previous sales, a steady flow of cash from sales of older games, and a higher profit potential than ever before.

I think Jeff need to put a donate button on the site. I would sure donate to help keep the games coming :)

-Mike B.

Guess so. Have you seen the income reports from the dude making Dwarf Fortress? Well, he isn't getting rich of course, but I wouldn't underestimate it.

As I mentioned before I think a kickstarter project would be a great thing - or just a merchandise shop if he really dislikes kickstarter. Would love to buy (potentially overprized) Shirts, Cloth Maps, Posters and whatnot from this game. And I I am sure that lots of people in this community would not hesitate to spend more money for the game than "necessary".

As I mentioned before I think a kickstarter project would be a great thing - or just a merchandise shop if he really dislikes kickstarter. Would love to buy (potentially overprized) Shirts, Cloth Maps, Posters and whatnot from this game. And I I am sure that lots of people in this community would not hesitate to spend more money for the game than "necessary".

Basilisk Games tried the tee-shirt, mouse pad, poster shop a few years ago. Apparently it was quite time-consuming. And, even worse, there was so much investment in inventory (not all of which sold well) that it wound up being more trouble than it was worth.

Agreed and looking forward to the release. Also, I get the feeling the "market fundamentals" have changed, i.e., Jeff has been able to expand his ability to get new customers and increased sales from the advent of distribution networks like Steam, the Humble Bundle, gog.com, etc. Notice how Jeff has spent a lot of time pushing his older series on new distribution networks; it's almost pure profit for those games at this point. So yeah, comes back to what you said. Jeff likely has a lot more breathing room from previous sales, a steady flow of cash from sales of older games, and a higher profit potential than ever before.

And I'm very happy about the gog.com move. As this is the wrong place to talk about it I'm not writing all the points why gog.com is great and why it is greater than steam in my opinion. :-P

However, I hope Jeff is sticking with gog as one way of distribution. I don't know the terms of agreements between devs and gog, but I guess it couldn't be worse than at other digital distribution channels.

And looking at the promising screenies on the Avadon 2 page is kind of torture. ^^ Snare Turret? I allready love it. :-D