Avadon 2 release date?

eaintree

Seconded. It's time for me to man up and finally do the right thing, the testing thing. And yea, Avadon 2 should be, and probably will be, alot bigger. A1's investigative style of storytelling was great, but where's the good in the implementation of player decisions if they are only presented along a linear path? Gimme dat open world, Jeff. Gimme aaall dat world.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff made an off-hand comment once about thinking that an Avernum prequel could be cool. He's been quoted ever since. I'm not even sure he ever said he had concrete ideas, just that there was interesting stuff to work with.

—Alorael, who still wants to play First Expedition. Also known as Avernum 2 Chapter 2: The Game. Also known as Party Dies at the End.

yea outcome is known but not how things came to that point.

Most of it is, actually. You can piece it together in quite some detail if you pay attention to the dialogues in A1-3.

This is also where one of the most problematic issues of a First Expedition-game lies: we know that they split up. We know where and how and why they die. I'm not sure it would work out well to put the PC in a position where he has to choose - "Do you want to join the party who is hunted down by Slithzerikai and eventually seal themselves off in the Spiral Crypt to starve? Or do you go along this equally linear path of doom with the dude with the big sword, to get eaten by demons in that other corner? Either way, I hope all your characters go in the same direction bc otherwise things'll get real complicated!"

No, no. We shall have a Avernum Magic-cards, Geneforge D&D-style boardgames and Avadon: Total War before that happens.

And yet we don't know exactly what happened to the entire First Expedition. We know that everyone thinks they were entirely slaughtered. We know that most of them died, and how and where. But could one intrepid band have managed to escape back to the surface and been hushed up? Certainly. The Empire had to discover the Final Gauntlet and that ascending cave near Fort Draco that got sealed off somehow.

—Alorael, who is also always inspired by the BoE scenario Truffle Days, which includes a First Expeditioner who went native. Before there were any other human natives, even!

Jeff probably wouldn't do it this way, but in the text Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the game goes from place to place with the player controlling a different party. Thus even though you keep dying you get to see if you can survive to reach the predetermined death scenes.

@Randomizer: Yes, for other games, this would be a possibility. But for a Spidweb-style RPG, It's impossible. (Meaning it wouldn't be a Spidweb-style RPG anymore. Progression, and such.)

@Alorael: I guess that would be an option. Explore the caves, find a way out. However, the gameplay would be very limited. Only sliths and demons, no settlements.

Sliths, demons, dragons, and most of all, your scattered expedition. Encampments could serve the same purpose as towns, but you'd have to keep finding them. It would be different, but it could be different in an interesting and fun way.

—Alorael, who could also see playing as the more fortunate Second Expedition. Someone had to go back and report everything to the Empire.

Your Quest: Remove all of the current human inhabitants. You can convince them to move back to the surface (preferred) or kill them (acceptable). If non-humans (lizards or kitties) want to escape the coming influx of undesirables, they can be disarmed and encouraged to emigrate to the lovely gated communities set aside for them on the surface. The kitties can have several acres of swampland, and the lizards have been granted a large tract of tundra.

The Sliths are actually native to the caverns; in Avernum it's mentioned that you don't have them on the surface at the very beginning of the game, and I'm sure something is mentioned in Avernum 3 to the same effect. The upshot is you can either let the Sliths be, or kill them. Judging by how the Empire reacts to most non-humans, however, it doesn't look good for the lizardfolk.

The sliths are natives. The nephils are not. Either way, why would the Empire waste energy on displacing natives? They use Avernum as a dumping ground. Nonhumans, rebels, and troublemakers are all undesirable. Why bother to resettle them when they can just all be dumped or left in the caves to murder each other?

—Alorael, who in fact thinks this is a large point about nephilim. Their resettlement is Avernum, and they're not pleased about it.

Guys, what are you talking about? What ancient crypts? There were no humans, and no Nephils. Only Reptiles or all shapes and sizes. Even the Sliths mainly lived deeper down than what we saw in Avernum, and the vahnatai as well. The First Expedition (and the Second one too, in a different way) might've seen a little bit of a bunch of stuff, but not enough to put together a game in the style we have known so far. No civilization, no infrastructure, nothing. How many camps can such an expedition have set up to be of any significance in the entirety of Avernum?

No, there are some messages about it having pictures of humans even though it's too old for any humans to have been there. There's never any explanation for it that I can recall. Earlier explorers of some kind? Vahnatai whose stylized art doesn't look right (but the wrong kind of undead)? Some mysteries never get an explanation.

—Alorael, who is forced to conclude that the Empire faked the moon landing using a sound stage in the caves. It's the only possible explanation. Wake up, sheeple!

No, there are some messages about it having pictures of humans even though it's too old for any humans to have been there. There's never any explanation for it that I can recall. Earlier explorers of some kind? Vahnatai whose stylized art doesn't look right (but the wrong kind of undead)? Some mysteries never get an explanation.

my money's on time travellers

I think that the new skill is for a modified Shadowwalker class since the left column is sword and throwing star and there is a lock picking skill at the bottom.

I see Jeff, I mean Redbeard is still in charge of rebuilding and is going to have Windows testing done earlier to keep the schedule.