School Violence

Goldengirl

This is true, but in order for it to be logically relevant, you need to point out an important difference. You have not.

The point was that the gun control measures in Australia gave a real sense of security, not a false one. And real security, while we're at it, which is more important: gun crime in fact plummeted.

This I can agree with partially. It is extremely difficult to get a gun in the first place due to licencing laws in Australia, and they are never sought after as something stupid as "self defence".

Australia isn't America. Personally, I admire the United States for valuing freedom over a false sense of security. If people in the U.S.A don't like guns, then don't buy them. If they don't like living around people with guns, move to a gun free area. Expecting people to give up a freedom enshrined in their Constitution simply to make you feel a little bit safer is the high of tyranny. Demanding otherwise law-abiding citizens to hand in their firearms when government enforcers are armed to the teeth stinks of hypocrisy.

It's that million year old right to own a gun that is getting people armed to the teeth and scared silly in the first place. It's that ridiculous that if someone has a rock thrown at them while sitting on their front balcony, that just "have the need" to own and AK-47 for "self defence", and all because they have the right to. Its the same mentality that people can just walk into K-Mart, buy all their ammo and then go rampaging.

brocktree please stay out of politics threads and stick to posting useful and interesting things about games

Whatever you do, stop winging over nothing.

There is probably nothing you can do to eliminate all massacres, but that doesn't mean you can't reduce them a lot. So pointing out that some measure won't be 100% effective, or might have some unintended negative consequences, doesn't even count as an argument. The issue for any proposed measure is whether it will do more good than harm, not whether it will do all the good we want, or no harm at all.

Address that issue squarely, or you're just ranting. If you have to be reminded to address that issue, you should re-examine your motivations on this debate.

okay i am not saying all mentally ill people are would-be mass-murderers. that would be silly and absurd. however, as said above, if at any point you are considering going on a murdering rampage, you are not functioning in a correct fashion mentally.

I mean i am by no means an expert on the subject so i will defer the vocabulary nitpicking to those who are, but my point stands. And as I don't really have anything to say besides that, I am going to depart the topic.

Yep. In these extreme cases, do we really need a horde of psychiatrists to tell us that the individual was mentally disturbed? I don't need a horde of doctors to tell me my arm is broken, if the bone is poking out through the skin.