Xaiya

New RP  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested?

• Yes!
    • Maybe
    • No
    • This sucks, I'll stick to AIMhack
  2. 2. If so, what genres appeal most to you?

• Fantasy
    • Futuristic
    • Western
    • Post-Apocalyptic
    • Steampunk
    • Other
    • (No opinion)
  3. 3. What style of play would you prefer?

• Single-character (with some NPCs)
    • Faction-based
    • Combination between the above
    • Other
    • (No opinion)
  4. 4. Magic?

• Lots and lots! Fireballs and teleportation ahoy!
    • Yes, with some restrictions
    • Limited, a science in itself
    • A tiny bit of stretching reality here and there, but nothing big
    • :no:
    • (No opinion)

Watching the discussions of the spiderbus RP, I got to thinking of how lacking spiderweb has been lately in story-based RPs. Lately this place has been dominated mostly by AIMhack and other D&D varients. One of the favorite parts of CalRef to many Refugi next to the chat was the epic story RPs we would craft (and later cringe at as we got older and saw how crappy our writing was, except Jewels 'cause she's awesome). Sadly we haven't been able to get a new one going for very long since the tales of FT and ANWO, so I got the idea of starting a new, structured RP here, without the chaotic nature of how the spiderbus one has been going.

But the two biggest questions arise: Is there sufficient interest here? And if so, what type do people here want to play in?

Personally, I love some of the aspects of UtSS (Players control a main character AND nation/faction, light but heavily limited magic), but feel it would be best to start a discussion here.

Note that if you do say you are interested, that it means you would also be willing to cooperate with people--as in no godmodding, discussing in OOC and PM, etc.

I have prepared a basic poll to get some numbers on the interest levels and what people would gravitate more towards. I highly encourage you to, after voting, posting here with an explanation and suggestions. Apologies if I forgot some stuff--I am sleep deprived and probably worded stuff weirdly here too, and this'll be based more on discussion anyways.

If we do get sufficient interest going, then I would like to start this mid-late december, after most people would have had finals, since I have the impression many here go to college (which includes me, and I want in on this :p). But first, discuss!

As the local get-offa-my-lawn roleplayer, I need to point out we didn't put our settings up to vote back in my day, no sir. We wrote up the lead-in and posted it, and by goldang people played in the setting that they got and they ruddy well liked it! *shakes stick*

Of course, people do have some preferences. But my participation in the next RP won't be influenced by how magical the setting is or what the genre is. Original setting, Spiderweb game setting, hell, Myst/Doctor Who/Ermarian crossover setting (add dinosaurs and ponies to taste)*. If I have time, I'm in.

The mechanics question makes much more sense. I adore faction RPs. But the synchronization can become ridiculously complicated. At least individual characters act in real time. On the other hand, one of the best RPs we ever completed - and there was only a handful - was a faction/character mixed RP.

Edited by אראנכאיתאר
*now I want this badly.

I've been really absent here lately, but I've always wanted to get more invilved with the RPs and such. I really have no experience or preference, but I'd like to at least follow this one.

Pretty much the same. I would prefer to do it in a fantasy world (and that seems to be the general opinion) since that's what I'm most familiar with, but I have no problem adapting.

I always remember the World of Avernum RP (and its revival) about the simultaneous collapse of Avernum and the Empire as my favorite RP from this forum. It was faction-based, but the individual leaders and characters in the factions were crucial parts of the RP. My first play-through was embarrassing, and my second was much better, even with the same faction... I don't remember why the revival ended up dying out.

I like playing in the world of games Jeff has made; they provide a familiar lexicon of ideas for Spiderwebbers to use in their roleplaying. It's a universe that's already mostly fleshed-out. That said, rules need to exist. I remember a Geneforge factional RP that quickly devolved into godmodding and then sputtered out as a result of the roleplayers creating new and more powerful creations to fight each other. The original Avernum RP that I discussed earlier, before the revival, itself ended due to the equivalent of a magical nuclear bomb dropped by TM. At that point, it was welcome, because the RP wasn't going too well, and it provided a heavy-handed "Rocks fall; everyone dies" closure to the mess. The point remains, though, that magic/technology (insert quote about sufficiently advanced technology here) has to have some sort of hard set rules to its development and/or use, or it can quickly cause problems in an RP.

Specifically, I'd prefer a new factional RP in the world of post-Geneforge 5, or post-Avernum 6 universes. I say this because they are societies with multiple states (Sucia and Terrestia, the myriad of ending options as a result of A6) that can realistically be seen to devolve into even more states and factions to squabble with. Avadon, while having a lot of potential for factional RP, is a game that I am wary about because it's so new and there is relatively not as much known about it as a result.

If we do get sufficient interest going, then I would like to start this mid-late december, after most people would have had finals, since I have the impression many here go to college (which includes me, and I want in on this :p). But first, discuss!

This also. I really shouldn't even be writing this post right now...

I like stories that move along and go somewhere. Show-and-tell-type episodes, where everybody posts their character's version of some mundane action, are fun for a page or so, but I'm afraid I get bored with RPs that seem to be nothing but that.

Anybody ever play the live group game, 'Freeze'? One or more people start performing some skit, but then any audience member can shout, "Freeze!" at any time, and the performers all have to shut up and hold still. The shouter then joins the skit, either adding themselves to it or replacing someone who was already there (and taking up their exact position). As soon as the new performer speaks, the skit continues — but in a completely different direction, because the new performer's first line has totally changed the context. So for instance I remember once interrupting an engagement scene where the guy was kneeling and holding the woman's hand, replacing him, and speaking the tag line from a then-current commercial for dishwashing liquid in which a manicurist sadly examined her client.

That exact game is probably tough to translate online, but I see RPs as being a bit similar. The intended direction of the story may change many times, but as long as it moves along continuously, it's fun.

I always remember the World of Avernum RP (and its revival) about the simultaneous collapse of Avernum and the Empire as my favorite RP from this forum. It was faction-based, but the individual leaders and characters in the factions were crucial parts of the RP. My first play-through was embarrassing, and my second was much better, even with the same faction... I don't remember why the revival ended up dying out.

The second one died out because of fewer players (one of the guys who helped start it up completely disappeared) and just flat out being more spread out. Plus a bit of intra-player friction. Interest just sort of fizzled out.

I like playing in the world of games Jeff has made; they provide a familiar lexicon of ideas for Spiderwebbers to use in their roleplaying. It's a universe that's already mostly fleshed-out. That said, rules need to exist. I remember a Geneforge factional RP that quickly devolved into godmodding and then sputtered out as a result of the roleplayers creating new and more powerful creations to fight each other. The original Avernum RP that I discussed earlier, before the revival, itself ended due to the equivalent of a magical nuclear bomb dropped by TM. At that point, it was welcome, because the RP wasn't going too well, and it provided a heavy-handed "Rocks fall; everyone dies" closure to the mess. The point remains, though, that magic/technology (insert quote about sufficiently advanced technology here) has to have some sort of hard set rules to its development and/or use, or it can quickly cause problems in an RP.
I've mentioned this a few times to a few people previously, but one of the key problems I've noticed is that even the better RPs can develop into Arms Races: One person introduces something powerful (not necessarily overpowered), and it results in either some players trying to one-up it, introduce something else powerful to stay relevant, or just think, 'hey, cool, I want something like that'. Which makes the others introduce powerful things, which in turn causes the others to introduce even more powerful things, and so forth. The Geneforge factional RP you mentioned definitely suffered from this; one player (ME, in fact) introduced a new powerful creation, and in the span of several posts, it led to multiple new supercreations, weapons, and armies getting pulled out the wazoo.

(Its other problem was that it tried to be a free-form RP and a game at once; you had some playing to win, others trying to tell a story, and everything in-between)

Oh hey, based on the poll it seems this is drawing more interest than I expected already. It appears the general consensus is fantasy-based, with a decent sized call for post-apocalyptic which could be fun to mix. The mechanics are split--half who had a preference went for single characters, the other half either wanting faction-based or a combination of the two. This could go either way and still maintain interest by the looks of it.

As for magic, it looks like most want a structured system. Excellent.

As the local get-offa-my-lawn roleplayer, I need to point out we didn't put our settings up to vote back in my day, no sir. We wrote up the lead-in and posted it, and by goldang people played in the setting that they got and they ruddy well liked it! *shakes stick*

The main reason I wanted to get some input was the sadness of watching beautiful worlds crafted with backstories and thought-out laws and stuff fall short of interest. I want to make sure there's a good chance whatever comes out has interest.

I've been really absent here lately, but I've always wanted to get more invilved with the RPs and such. I really have no experience or preference, but I'd like to at least follow this one.

Not a problem. I'm sure there will be people willing to proof-read and help you through the process if you're willing to cooperate--creativity, cooperation, and time are the main forces of RPs, after all. Gotta start somewhere.

This also. I really shouldn't even be writing this post right now...

I have a list of stuff to complete yet here I am. :p

Another thing we might want to look at is collaborative world-building. That's how we arrived at the setting and themes for Under the Silent Skies, after all. I think it helps people get an investment in the world, though since there really isn't much room for compromise at that stage, it can introduce interpersonal friction.

Plus one on collaborative world-building.

A framework and style should be agreed on before-hand, of course, because otherwise you might end up with snarls.

One popular choice for a framework is an in-universe compendium or encyclopedia. (See Santharia or, for that matter, EE - though it later became repurposed as a collection of mostly canon information rather than a creative effort).

I've mentioned this a few times to a few people previously, but one of the key problems I've noticed is that even the better RPs can develop into Arms Races: One person introduces something powerful (not necessarily overpowered), and it results in either some players trying to one-up it, introduce something else powerful to stay relevant, or just think, 'hey, cool, I want something like that'. Which makes the others introduce powerful things, which in turn causes the others to introduce even more powerful things, and so forth. The Geneforge factional RP you mentioned definitely suffered from this; one player (ME, in fact) introduced a new powerful creation, and in the span of several posts, it led to multiple new supercreations, weapons, and armies getting pulled out the wazoo.

The solution to that, I believe, is to have strict rules on magic/technology. Perhaps it would be best of all to have a set spellbook and not allow for any research advancing it whatsoever, as a bit of a heavyhanded way to stop the arms races.

In terms of RP's having a purpose (storytelling vs. winning) I definitely think that this is conducive to have a purpose or endpoint. Better, of course, in terms of actually finishing the RP. In terms of fun, that depends on the players and what they want.

Anybody ever play the live group game, 'Freeze'? One or more people start performing some skit, but then any audience member can shout, "Freeze!" at any time, and the performers all have to shut up and hold still. The shouter then joins the skit, either adding themselves to it or replacing someone who was already there (and taking up their exact position). As soon as the new performer speaks, the skit continues — but in a completely different direction, because the new performer's first line has totally changed the context. So for instance I remember once interrupting an engagement scene where the guy was kneeling and holding the woman's hand, replacing him, and speaking the tag line from a then-current commercial for dishwashing liquid in which a manicurist sadly examined her client.

That actually sounds incredibly fun. I say we make it a tradition at every SW meetup. >:)K

The solution to that, I believe, is to have strict rules on magic/technology. Perhaps it would be best of all to have a set spellbook and not allow for any research advancing it whatsoever, as a bit of a heavyhanded way to stop the arms races.

In terms of RP's having a purpose (storytelling vs. winning) I definitely think that this is conducive to have a purpose or endpoint. Better, of course, in terms of actually finishing the RP. In terms of fun, that depends on the players and what they want.

Limiting all the PC's to a set spellbook (or like the last AIMHack I was in, a set # of approved spells per PC) would help with the players' desires to be top dog, but I do have a concern that a level playing field could lead to a stagnant storyline. Even in Jeff's games he always introduced more and more powerful villains to defeat and the best (imo) villains had to be defeated by wit and not might. I'm okay with having NPC's that are more 'powerful' than the PCs. I think that it leads to creative cooperation to find a solution.

I think the best way to have an RP follow through to the end is to have a set goal from the beginning. What do the PC's have to accomplish to be done? Have at least an idea for the main protagonist which is an NPC controlled by the RP starter. Our AIMHacks usually make it to the end (have any failed to? idk?) because there is someone who already knows about what the end is going to be and that someone keeps pushing on whether people drop out or not. If the end is in sight, someone will usually keep plugging for it. (like why I keep writing Rebirth long after FT died. I already had an ending in my head so I'm gonna keep going until it's all down on paper in an word-ly aesthetic equivalent.)

Another issue to consider is the target audience. Do we want to have RPs that are fun for the same small gang of old hands, or would we like to have RPs be an ongoing part of the community that newbies can easily join in on? If the goal is to be newby-accessible, then that means making RPs that are reasonably robust against intrusions by random nine-year-olds. If some kid shows up and just wants to build their character into, oh, say, the Invincible Emperor of all Eyebeasts, then of course we can squelch them, but we shouldn't have to squelch them too viciously (scaring off a customer whose money Jeff could otherwise be spending on the sweet sweet Dr. Pepper beverages that power his fine games), and the RP should not be too badly derailed.

It's tempting to say, Let's have some ultimately awesome RPs by getting the wise old souls to agree to do everything right. But the hidden price could be making RPs into something that ages the community rather than invigorates it. If we want to keep the activity more open, then we need to run some RPs that still work out okay even if not everybody is onboard with the grand design.

EDIT: Realized I should make clear, this is not a counter-argument to anything anybody has just said. It's just something that suddenly struck me, as something to bear in mind.

Not all RPs have to be the same. We could even sentence anti-social persons to do community service by running open RPs, and reward the faithful by letting them have an occasional closed one. That's kind of a model whereby heaven consists in operating hell, and hell in operating purgatory.

SoT: Keeping our RPs open to newcomers might be good for the long-term health of the community!

Sylae: You know, we can forcibly limit the people that can post in our RPs!

:rolleyes:

We could potentially make an RP be in a blog but still be open to people--provided they communicate that they wish to be a part of it so we can add them, and then we can get them on the right page before they post anything. Someone who might be new to RPs, or hell, someone who even is experienced might miss something when creating their first post and suddenly break the laws of the world (Azuma :p). Just a thought.

I would like this thing to be open to the overal SW population, unless, of course, someone is completely unwilling to cooperate, in which case I don't want to bother with that person.

(Notice: I am unable to proofread this post effectively due to the damn music in the background, so bleh)

The World RP(G) quickly became not appropriate for SW, the mods told him to make the RPG family friendly or to host it somewhere besides SW, and ET threw at a giant hissy fit (mostly in PMs, Dikiyoba believes), and then Dikiyoba can't remember exactly how the World RP ended, other than very, very badly.

Actually, ET was banned for unrelated issues in the middle of the game. Jewels and I relayed messages from him to SW to keep it going for a while, but eventually, I was the only one that showed up to his sessions anymore. We agreed to just leave it at that.

Presumably Nalyd is passing on ET's side of the story, which may well be the only one he knows. Every history comes in many secret versions. But ET's last RP does raise an issue to remember. All of our RPs will have to obey the CoC, even if they proceed behind a curtain of restricted blog access. Moderators will have access to all such blogs — and will have to make a point of visiting them periodically to deter excessive shenanigans.

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies. Right before finals, I discovered minecraft. Fast forward to the 20th of this month, and I had a tonsillectomy, which put me in bed for 4-5 days before I could have the energy to think about something like this. So I haven't exactly gotten the chance to get back to this. I'll try to get my head back into it, stir up thoughts that I haven't had for a couple weeks.

Iffy, any interest in joining forces? It occurs to me that one could do a broad, sweeping RP with small, real time RPG adventures sharing the same setting and characters.

So, having an overlapping world of some sort while having individual and (mostly) independent story lines? Sounds kinda like an RP version of Mote and the AIMhack stuff. Sounds fun.

That also takes the pressure off of Iffy, or any particular GM, to manage the story and keep the RP going.

Iffy and I have planned a discussion chat to see what potential members feel about doing. It will be this Tuesday at 6:00 PM MST in the CalRef chat (as a reminder, you _do not_ need to register to use the chat, just enter an untaken username and no password). All are welcome to join us. We will be trying to lay down a setting, establish basic canon, see who is interested, and discuss expectations. We encourage anyone who is even remotely interested to stop by.