Abundance of living tools

So I just completed geneforge 1, and anyone who remembers my previous topic will know that my OCD took over completely and began hoarding my living tools to no end. I ended the game with about 150 living tools sitting in my storage room and I used a total of about 20, and that was mostly after I decided I had too many living tools.

Here's the catch: I don't want this crippling addiction of never using living tools to impair me through the rest of the series, but I don't want to use them so liberally that I run out completely and cannot access certain areas. I'm playing geneforge 2 as guardian and 3 as agent. How liberally can I use living tools without fear of running out?

How liberally can I use living tools without fear of running out?

I'd say get a decent boost in mechanics early in the game and then use tools on everything that needs only one of them, use on things that require two only if the reward is good or else wait till you are good enough to open in one, don't use on things requiring 2+, they will almost certainly have some other way to be opened.

You probably should hoard your tools in G5 if you are playing as the rebels. What with having to

Use 12 living tools just to bring down the shapers defences. If you don't have 12 living tools, I would have to say you're screwed. They will completely wipe the floor with you, what with like, each high-damage attack only doing 10-20 damage. Including kill. And an acid enchanted puresteel blade. Even if the other drakons are with you.

Living tools were made to pry into those tiny places where fingers or other appendages can't go or shouldn't go. There is a place in Geneforge 4 where a living tool squawks at being misused by a Shaper.

Rivergate Keep when you first meet Shaper Duncan:

"When you find this Shaper, he is adjusting a piece of equipment, using a living tool to carefully bend a piece of piping in place. The tentacles of the tool shape the metal, while the creature squeaks in annoyance. The job done, he sets aside the tool (which tries to drag itself away) ..."