Member Numbers, Signatures, and Avatars

Actaeon

Yes, yes, you're an oldbie. However, I ran the math, and your rate is still higher than mine. Not higher than Alorael or Randomizer, but...

You are confused. There are far more than two Tyrans, although none (that I know of) contain an apostrophe.

You are right. But I dislike that brought math into this; I like words; stick to words. haha.

Well sure, but you didn't say "original" originally.

I have never really paid attention to my mem# much, but I do believe my current mem# is pretty close to the original # of my first account. I registered only slightly before Nikki did. Can't say I dislike being 3131.

'first' == 'original'

close enough at least

@Sy: lol, now you've spoiled me. i'll always consider the master as imban.

אראנכאיתאר hops on the right-to-left bandwagon.

(But I cobbled the transliteration together with Wikipedia and Google, so I'm not sure if that makes any sense.)

the א is a silent letter unless it is the first in a word, so all the extra ones don't affect the pronunciation. Besides for that it is written correctly. Modern Hebrew is filled with multiple spellings based on silent letters as well as letters with similar sounds.

Oddly enough, I just gave Aran some Hebrew coaching. That's why his name isn't full of extraneous alephs, which I think would affect pronunciation because no one would assume an aleph with a silent vowel. The two vertical dot one whose name I can't recall.

—Alorael, who noticed that the original spelling was more Yiddish than Hebrew. The אי would have to become יי and the vowels would no longer be optional but it works.

The two vertical dot one whose name I can't recall.

that would be the letter Yud. i do recall that when i was in Israel that any sign that i couldn't read as a Hebrew word was just a transliterated English word in Hebrew letters. That is where all sorts of silent letters were stuck all over

Not yud, that's not a vowel. I mean the vertical dots below the letter that are most often silent but sometimes act as a glottal stop, schwa, or other vowel sound. Sh'va, after looking it up.

—Alorael, who can at least remember consonant names. The vowels never quite got the same emphasis, reasonably, and he's shakier on their formal names and uses.

you're referring to nekudos which are sort of analogous to vowels. Biblical Hebrew uses nekudos to vowelize all the letters which on their own are just sounds. Modern Hebrew and especially Yiddish generally don't use nekudos so they pack in all sorts of silent letters to make it more clear what they mean to write. this can make some words quite unwieldy. ב or Bais sounds like B but when you add ׇ or Kumatz to get בׇ it sounds like Buh if you add a tzairai or ֵ to get בֵ it sounds like Bay. so using there nekudos allow you to really compress the words to the least amount of letters.

That's not quite accurate. Hebrew started out as an abjad, a kind of alphabet lacking vowels. The niqqud vowel system was invented in the Middle Ages, although I don't think it was the first or only such vowel system. The silent letters are there whether or not you're using niqqud and are necessary for when you want two vowel sounds in a row without a consonant or for a few other reasons. So bet is a B. Depending on the niqqud below it the sound can be b, beh, bah, boo, and so on.

Yiddish is different. It uses a very similar script, but instead of having niqqud it has a true alphabet, just with some letters requiring niqqud-like markings below to show what the letter is.

—Alorael, who can point out that Hebrew, from the Torah to the daily newspapers, generally lacks niqqud. They're for learning the language when you don't know the vowels and times when the pronunciation is likely to be a mystery. Dictionaries have them, obviously. Maybe fantasy novels do so all the made-up words have definite pronunciation?

That's not quite accurate. Hebrew started out as an abjad, a kind of alphabet lacking vowels. The niqqud vowel system was invented in the Middle Ages, although I don't think it was the first or only such vowel system. The silent letters are there whether or not you're using niqqud and are necessary for when you want two vowel sounds in a row without a consonant or for a few other reasons. So bet is a B. Depending on the niqqud below it the sound can be b, beh, bah, boo, and so on.

Yiddish is different. It uses a very similar script, but instead of having niqqud it has a true alphabet, just with some letters requiring niqqud-like markings below to show what the letter is.

—Alorael, who can point out that Hebrew, from the Torah to the daily newspapers, generally lacks niqqud. They're for learning the language when you don't know the vowels and times when the pronunciation is likely to be a mystery. Dictionaries have them, obviously. Maybe fantasy novels do so all the made-up words have definite pronunciation?

Im not trying to sabotage, but your username today is hilarious. (Goin' rogue, be back later) :grin:

Really? Because most of them aren't even trying to be funny. I'd the say the majority are either cryptic references to my real-life day or whatever floated to the top of my head like pond scum.

—Alorael, who has checked back. Actually, the last few have been heavy on humor if low on wit. Call it a sign of the times.

• 3 weeks later...

Anywho, back to topic (and the end of a month-long hiatus for me): I don't mind my new member number, but I did notice it took quite a nose dive. IIRC, it started out around the mid- to upper 7800's, dropped a handful or so for the first migration I was here for, and then plummeted during this move.

*shrugs* Oh well, new times, new numbers, I guess. "Meh" all around.