Class choice for the whole series

BugFactory

Good afternoon,

I just found out that I could get the whole Geneforge series for the price of one on Steam! So I bought it. Now I have to answer that most crucial question : which class?

My thoughts so far : there are three classes and five games, so I can try them all. Later games have more classes, but they seem to be variations of the three base ones. The shaper is the most unique class : there are many other games where I can play a fighter or a wizard, but this is the only series with shapers. So I plan on playing guardian and agent only once. The first game has less spells and creations, so that's probably the one where I should play a guardian.

So which game should I play as an agent? Did I get everything wrong?

Thanks in advance,

BugFactory

Hey man. I beat geneforge 1 a while back as an agent. It was ridiculously tough as I was a first time player. Im still trying to find a character style that suits me as there are so many ways of playin a character. Now I would say that while an agent isnt my favorite style of playing, its definitely the best one to choose if you dont want a large team of creations. As for the other 2 classes, Guardians are always tough to play as in all games and are with a small force/dont rely on magic. Shapers have the most creations and thus are usually the easiest to get into in all games.

Oh I forgot, Geneforge 4 and 5 add 2 to 3 classes-Shocktrooper, Servile, and Sorceress. Shock trooper is basically a shaper that can fight and summon many creations, A servile is an agent that fights better, and sorceress is a shaper that is better at magic but not as good at shaping.

Geneforge 1 is tougher for Agents than other games. I would say that if you want to enjoy the game, try to play the game in geneforge 1 with the class you like and if you dont like the style restart with another class. The good thing about the 1st 2 games is that it is nonlinear.

Edit-Oh and leave your sanity at the door, it makes things easier.

I recommend playing a Shaper in G1, a Guardian in G2, and an Agent in G3. The Guardian is especially powerful in G2 because of how parry works, and you don't want to play an Agent in G1 where there are so few spells. For G4, the Shock Trooper and Servile are unique classes. I recommend the Shock Trooper there, because Shock Troopers are fun, but the Servile is a good choice too. For G5, there's actually a bug that makes playing any of the three Shaper classes more powerful than any of the rebel classes, so you can play one of them again or play whichever unique class you didn't choose in G4 (or play as a sorceress, but she's not much different from an Agent or Shaper/Lifecrafter).

Dikiyoba.

Dikiyoba

I recommend playing a Shaper in G1, a Guardian in G2, and an Agent in G3. The Guardian is especially powerful in G2 because of how parry works, and you don't want to play an Agent in G1 where there are so few spells. For G4, the Shock Trooper and Servile are unique classes. I recommend the Shock Trooper there, because Shock Troopers are fun, but the Servile is a good choice too.

Dikiyoba.

In GF1, the engine allows move after attack. So the basic tactic of agent is hit and run. It is much easier to beat the game on torment with an agent than a guardian.

Oh and leave your sanity at the door, it makes things easier.

No no no, I'm dangerously sane, why would I want to give up my edge?

Agents in Geneforge 1 run for their lives, but in Geneforge 3 they run around warping minds? Tough choice. I thought only casters got new toys, but apparently guardians get parry in Geneforge 2. I started two games in Geneforge 1, one with a shaper and another with a guardian and I am disappointed in the guardian so far. So I think I will go shaper, guardian, agent, shock trooper then shaper again.

Now to choose between unleashing hordes of out of control mutants upon an unsuspecting world or enslaving them all. Either way I get fun.

Thanks for all the advices.

It really depends on your playing style. If you wanted magic, go with the guardian. If you are a stragetic person, be a shaper. There is so much you can do with creations. You could buff a Fyora's health really high, hide two war tralls and use that fyora to drag the enemy to you. When the enemy gets close to your PC, spring the trap. Agents are really handy if you want magic. But not shaping. A decent blade and lots of intellegence will do fine with an Agent, which makes it one of the kinds that you don't have to spend tons of skills on other than magic and melee skills. The Guardian if you want to be a tankish god. If you're going to be a guardian though, ditch Shaping AND magic completely. All three classes have amazing skills and abilities and styles. But it all depends on you. Any one will work.

One reason Agents are so hard to play in G1 is that you have low health and it is almost necessary to shape at least a couple creation to help you.

Yeah, in the more difficult zones of G1 having a couple creations as meat shields really helps your agent. As I think about it some more, I think there were actually a couple times in the first half of the game where my agent created a disposable meat shield for a single zone. But the nice thing (in my mind, at the time) was that with an agent, your main character is the primary fighter and the creations are just support. By the time I got to G2, though, and was more used to the system, I found that I could also enjoy the Shaper style of play.