A6: If I screw up my party...?

Leaper

I read when I was playing Avernum: Escape From the Pit that it used to be (in its original incarnation) easy to make a party that simply could not finish the game, and that this was fixed.

What about A6? I figure, it's the sixth in the series AND a remake, so I should be able to finish with "any" party as long as I don't egregiously make wild and wacky decisions, but is that so?

Thanks! SInce I'm just starting, I'm trying to avoid spoilers and too much advice. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaand now I see the Custom option. :) Ah, well, it's not TOO many skill points "wasted". If I really really get desperate, I'll use the character editor to "correct" them, but hopefully I won't need to do that!

Some of the preset character types aren't that bad. Custom is probably best, but I made it through on hard difficulty with a hedge wizard and a shaman (I picked them for role playing purposes, to give my characters a back story). And mage-priests and priest-mages are perfectly viable in A6, so neither of those character types has very many wasted skill points (the weapons points are useful because they give battle disciplines, which help spell casters, too).

A6 is easier than EFTP, IMHO.

As long as you aren't playing any weird combos, I wouldn't worry too much about party planning in A6.

I just finished A6 on torment with a traditional party (priest, mage, and two melee) and I didn't have much trouble. There are a few hard fights but all the really hard ones are optional and as long as you don't wander too far outside of where you are supposed to be (which, unlike EFTP, is much harder to do in A6), you should be fine.

I would pay attention to skill trainers, though, as in a lot of cases it's feasible to hold off on raising skills until you can train them, which while not necessary will give you an extra boost by the end of the game.

If you do screw up your party in this trilogy its just as big of a kick to the teeth as it is in Geneforge series. I remember just recently got through half the game in gene forge 3, only to hit a roadblock and be unable to progress further. I basically just lost 5-6 hours. The reason I guess why Avernum is a little less forgiving, is because you are running a 3 or 4 player party. If one character is fairly lackluster, its much less of a burden than in Geneforge. The reason being is that in Geneforge, everything stems from that character. If that character isn't on top of the right stats, you've got a major problem as that affects all your creations as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I'm almost at level 30 with my humans, on my way to Formello. Reading another thread, I'm starting to be skeptical of some of my decisions (like not pumping endurance even more, though everyone is minimum 8 - fortunately, all can increase it at next level up).

This brought to mind the question: how do I know if I've somehow created a useless party? How do I know how to fix it, if it's at all possible?

Endurance 8 is fine for normal difficulty.

There is a character editor to fix some mistakes with your characters. How to fix a problem is dependent on why you are having trouble. Not hitting means more in the attack skills. Dying too quickly means more endurance.

1) I'm in Hard right now.

2) Well, I haven't penetrated too far into Occupied Lands. However, I've done some fighting in the Fort Monastery area (which I assume I need to return to later), and I've been doing okay there, except for those slimes that split into four exploding slimes. Those have been a bit of a [censored].

Oh, I know. I was just finding it difficult to do, especially when multiples were involved. But I managed.

I killed those that 1-2 chars were blocking and attacking them 1 by 1 so those couldn't attack whole party and when 1 was near dead 1st caster healed party and 2nd killed slime that had been attacked.