Remake

runner

• 9 months later...

This is a huge bump but it should be noted that Jeff confirmed remakes, here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1idaq1/i_am_jeff_vogel_founder_of_spiderweb_software/

No real news; just as predicted, the remakes would take a while. It is noteworthy that they will be on tablets though. Very much looking forward to this, will recommend it to all of my friends.

• 3 weeks later...

I find that Jeff will no doubt remake Geneforge but the funny thing is that he states in one of his game manuals near the credits that everything he does in future will use a little bit from Geneforge when he makes it. Avadon had a few things/traits that were taken from Geneforge but was still very much a party based game. Im hoping that "one" of the next game series he makes has the single character focused world of Geneforge. Its got to be one of the cooler things when you've got a class or classes that can go solo. That's something most games don't have. The only game I can think of that's party/solo based like that is Baldurs Gate and Planescape. Planescape is more focused on party but BG can be either way.

• 3 weeks later...

If geneforge has to be remade certain things perhaps need to be addressed:

Something needs to be done about that beginning speech which is way too long and contains info we will anyway rediscover.

I also suggest doing more about thinking about balancing gameplay in terms of spells (to be able to cast elemental cloak instead of augmentation, to cast a regenerating mass restore even in combat) in terms of creations (giving some of the Pc's creations more potency, for example, by giving 9 ap to the thahd, the pyroamer a caustic explosion, the roamer a decent cursing bite and the clawbug a personal spine shield. Why not also give the battle alpha a personal spine shield and the battle beta more strength and a lighting aura in melee?).

Also perhaps why not include more art and more music (in such a way it doesn't not interfere with the game's naturalistic approach.)?

• 2 weeks later...

What I REALLY wish for in a remake is a way to retire your creations instead of absorbing them.

Consider this: The whole series is about rights of creations, about them having right to live, to be free - or about stopping them from achieving that. And yet, when our faithful fyora, clawbug, vlish, thad or dryak become obsolete, we euthanize them regardless of our political outlook.

It doesn't have to be anything flashy. It can be just a few lines of text. Just an option to set them free or give into someone's care.

Whereas I find more problematic the fact that you can have drayks or drakons entirely under your control. No one comments, be they Shapers who have banned those creations or free rebel drayks and drakons who would probably want them independent.

I'd rather have some text in the games acknowledging two different types of creations: those made from a shapers personal essence, which have no real independence or will and cannot exist without the shaper directly maintaining them, and those made from external essence, which take time to craft but don't require any resources (except food) to maintain and can be cared for by handlers or other shapers. The former make up your personal entourage, and you can't release them because they can't exist freely and have no minds of their own. The latter are the bulk of the armies, the rogue hordes, and the serviles and ornks you see all over. Having temporary inherently lobotomized drayks or drakons might be tasteless but it won't really ruffle any feathers.

—Alorael, who made this up as his justification for the dichotomy. Oh, and creations with Intelligence less than 2, or that go rogue for various reasons, are operating under your subconscious control or mindlessly, respectively. They still don't have true independence and can't be freed.

Tablet is the extra version only because there is a market with little competition.

I think Jeff is hoping some AAA game company will notice and buy him out so they can have tablet CRPGs. That would speed up remakes since they would just update the interface and graphics.

What I REALLY wish for in a remake is a way to retire your creations instead of absorbing them.

Consider this: The whole series is about rights of creations, about them having right to live, to be free - or about stopping them from achieving that. And yet, when our faithful fyora, clawbug, vlish, thad or dryak become obsolete, we euthanize them regardless of our political outlook.

It doesn't have to be anything flashy. It can be just a few lines of text. Just an option to set them free or give into someone's care.

This, so much this.

Playing Geneforge 5, as a Trakovite, I had to stick with a creation I tend to name as the "Epic Thadh". This little fella leveled up so much that he was able to tear up Battle Alphas and mop the floor with their skin. I was wishing that some enemy killed my Epic Thadh in some accident... but he was tough as nails. When he finally fell to the ground, beaten by some boss or another, I felt really, really bad.

An option to "dismiss" creations would be very welcome.

This, so much this.

Playing Geneforge 5, as a Trakovite, I had to stick with a creation I tend to name as the "Epic Thadh". This little fella leveled up so much that he was able to tear up Battle Alphas and mop the floor with their skin. I was wishing that some enemy killed my Epic Thadh in some accident... but he was tough as nails. When he finally fell to the ground, beaten by some boss or another, I felt really, really bad.

An option to "dismiss" creations would be very welcome.

I would like it if the intelligent creatures had a deeper level of interaction at least. I would definitely like to see some form of ramification for being a pro-shaper individual with Drayks and Drakons in tow. Something to distinguish them from the disposable summons we see in every other rpg.

I would like it if the intelligent creatures had a deeper level of interaction at least. I would definitely like to see some form of ramification for being a pro-shaper individual with Drayks and Drakons in tow. Something to distinguish them from the disposable summons we see in every other rpg.

Save perhaps for G1. I mean the pro-shaper character is actually quite condescending choices of dialogue. Oh and happy Eid al-Adha to evrey one.

This would be welcome too. Again, it wouldn't have to be flashy, it could be just some indirect speech dialogue box having two (or more) options depending wheter you are rebelious or shaperish: "[insert creation name] looks at you with blank obedience, but you can sense muted hatred boiling beneath" or "You talk for a while with [insert creation name] discussing battle tactics and political matters."

Of course, it could be more elaborate, changing depending on the actual creation type and your more specific affiliations.