The end of the universe as we know it...?

The Loquacious Lord Grimm

wreck_it_ralph_by_niban_destikim-d5ikpbf.jpg

The fourth, fifth, and sixth panels speak it clearly.

Excuse me moderators? Yeah? I can't see a button for spoilers. Can some one slip that in a spoiler for me to ensure that it doesn't bother people? Also, tell me where the spoilers are?

Edited by I like bananas. Bananas are good.
Spoilerific

Excuse me moderators? Yeah? I can't see a button for spoilers. Can some one slip that in a spoiler for me to ensure that it doesn't bother people? Also, tell me where the spoilers are?

Use the following syntax:

[spoiler]Thing you want to put in the spoiler[/spoiler]

On topic, I really don't think they will do a worse job with the franchise than Lucas himself has done, and they could very well do better. Disney has released some bad films, but they have also released a lot of very good films.

I'm not sure what all the complaints are about. Is Disney particularly bad? They certainly didn't wreck Pixar by buying it. Can it not be trusted with more action-oriented films? Marvel hasn't gone downhill since Disney acquired it, either, although it's a little early to really say. The worst that happens is Disney keeping a zombie franchise alive after it has nothing really left in its tanks or just churning out bad films when they could make good ones. Given the immense scope of the Star Wars franchise in comics, games, and novels, running out of material seems unlikely. If they make bad films, well, too bad, but it's not like Lucasflim itself has an unblemished record on that score.

—Alorael, who will worry when Disney starts throwing out flop after flop. As long as they can make good films, he'll refrain from panic. He'll also note that Disney has made great films and okay films, but they haven't recently produced any really awful movies. That's a not awful sign!

That's why you always keep a copy around.

/me has the trilogy on VHS tucked away safely in a secure place. Much more securely than the stolen data tapes. With no vents, mind you!

Edited by Sylae
on the off chance I ever have spawn, they will grow up on Star Wars, James Bond, Ponies, Doctor Who, and video games. A plan that will never go wrong!

I'm not gonna lie, before (and somewhat during) the time that the Prequels emerged, part of me had hoped that Lucas would take on the expanded universe while the original actors and staff were still capable of doing so.

I haven't read too much of expanded universe material, but feedback from friends over the years suggests that it is too splintered and extended to incorporate every fanboy's wildest dreams into good film.

The Star Wars film franchise is built on simple plot, easy-to-understand archetypes, and a freaking ton of spectacle. Good directing helps, and a solid, balanced script is preferable, but not necessary. :p

It would therefore stand to reason that any first films created by this new alliance would focus on an easily-digestible chunk of Star Wars lore: either inherently new material with references to established canon, or the digest version of a longer serial from the expanded universe.

I remain a holdout for the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, as I have for many years, but my reading on the interwebs suggests that we might first be exposed to adaptations from Timothy Zahn. Not a bad thing, I'm told.

We hope that the prequels were a learning experience, we understand that film as a medium has evolved since Lucas made his start, and with Disney's funding and producing power behind it (I'm praying that John Lasseter winds up involved somehow), we could be looking at a very interesting continuous push at the film-making envelope. Or we could be looking at Disney's next Tinkerbell franchise. Time will tell.

In either case, nothing can change the fact that Star Wars completely revolutionized the way films are both made and examined.

The Silent Assassin has not yet returned from his protest at the library, and therefore has nothing to contribute to this post.

Nah. Google will buy out Disney before that happens. Or maybe Apple will. Actually, that one's not much of a stretch; Steve Jobs was already the largest Disney shareholder...

—Alorael, who will reject Apple forever if Siri starts breaking into song at regular intervals. He has a fear spontaneous musical numbers in real life, you see, and he's not sure he could handle having to wait in dread for that every moment.

There are lots of other Siri fish in the sea. Maybe the one on another iPhone will marry you. I'd suggest buying another one to find out.

If that doesn't work out, either, try yet again. If you keep buying enough iProducts, maybe at some point Siri will be impressed with your good taste, persistence, and sheer immense wealth, and change her mind.

If you buy really a lot of iProducts, maybe Apple will be willing to change her mind for you.

i hope the next Star Wars films would be sequels to the Luke and Han trilogy. Enough with the prequels already and the midquel Clone Wars cartoon series is boring as I already know it will lead to Episode IV.

They will be sequels. They specifically announced that the next film will be Episode VII.

There are lots of other Siri fish in the sea. Maybe the one on another iPhone will marry you. I'd suggest buying another one to find out.

If that doesn't work out, either, try yet again. If you keep buying enough iProducts, maybe at some point Siri will be impressed with your good taste, persistence, and sheer immense wealth, and change her mind.

If you buy really a lot of iProducts, maybe Apple will be willing to change her mind for you.

Maybe that's why: I have an ancient flip phone, not an iPhone. She did seem impressed by my 2001: A Space Odyssey reference though. I asked her to open the pod bay doors and she responded, "I'm afraid I can't do that."

but you'd be surprised how much support Temple of Doom has.

My dad had many talks to me as a kid about my tearing fake hearts out of my stuffed animals and sacrificing them while saying "Kali ma, Kali ma, Kali ma." Looking back on it now, I bet it really freaked out my parents.

...i liked temple of doom

My friend pretty much hit the nail on the head about this on Facebook earlier:

Disney buying Lucasfilm: worst that can happen is that we get some new Star Wars films to watch, they turn out to be bad and everyone will continue to rag on George Lucas for being a dollar whore. Best outcome is that we get some new Star Wars films to watch, they actually turn out to be good and everyone will probably continue to rag on the whole thing anyway, through some misguided geek-elitist principle that they 'aren't as good as episodes 4-6'. Either way, we get some new Star Wars films to watch. For any Star Wars fan, that should be a win and I'm looking forward to seeing what Disney do with this opportunity!

Seems pretty fair to me.

Naw, I meant this stupid old joke I heard once and for some reason remembered. There used to be this song, "My Melancholy Baby", that was popular for a good while in the 20th century. So there was this shaggy-dog-type joke about how the priests would sacrifice melons to the goddess with the ritual chant, "Here's another melon, Kali baby!"

I've never even heard the song, but the dumb joke gave me this the image of these laid back old priests, whacking open melon after melon and tossing them into some shrine with that casual line, and for some reason that image still cracks me up.

Saunders was one of the closest to the heart of the melon meme. Now that she's back now and then maybe she would care to explain. Maybe not, though. You can only keep melons around for so long before they start going bad.

—Alorael, who recommends switching to mangos. They've got a much longer shelf life and are more portable to boot.