Confused on early game (no spoilers, please; general hints welcomed)

Leaper

So, I've driven off the wretches at the Wretch Warrens, but the Aiding Zhethron quest is still not complete. No one I've spoken to has ended that quest, so I assume there's more later (no one's given me a Zhethron quest yet). I only have four locations unlocked, and I think I've gotten all the quests I can get at this point (Aiding Zhethron, Deal with Tartam, Angevine in Exile - whom I plan to lie about to the quest giver, Blue Ore, Neray the Smuggler, Ahmed's Libram - which I still haven't figured out how to get yet, but I assume that's not necessary or possible right now, and The Wayfarer - whom I assume is Shadow Tartam, but am planning to help anyway, on the assumption that I unlock stuff I wouldn't otherwise get).

What am I missing? Am I wrong about it not being necessary to complete some of the quests above to advance in the game? Thanks!

I am a bit confused about your exact question, but still I can tell that the only quests you absolutely need to do to advance in the game are the ones given by Miranda and Redbeard, if you have killed the leader of the wretches you can go back to Zhethron and Miranda, tell them that you have done it and then Miranda should tell you what to do to advance in the game.

I am a bit confused about your exact question, but still I can tell that the only quests you absolutely need to do to advance in the game are the ones given by Miranda and Redbeard, if you have killed the leader of the wretches you can go back to Zhethron and Miranda, tell them that you have done it and then Miranda should tell you what to do to advance in the game.

To clarify, I thought I'd talked to Miranda, and she said she had nothing for me. Thus I was wondering if I'd missed something I needed to advance in the game, or if I had to do more in the Zhethron quest.

Now, however, I'm wondering if I'm thinking of the wrong NPC. I'll check.

Well here are the exact steps:-

1.Kill the wretch leader Onghror.

2.Go tell that to Zhethron.

3.Come back to Avadon and tell that to Miranda,she should ask you to see Redbeard ,if not then there is some step that you have missed.

If you are not sure who/where is Miranda you can refer to this map:-

http://avadonannotatedmaps.zxq.net/Pages/Avadon_Main.html

Aha, that was it. I talked to Callan and thought she was the one who gave me that mission. The office move also threw me. OK, on track now, thanks!

I had this kind of problem repeatedly throughout Avadon (not being able to find the quest-giver in order to complete the quest). It's worth keeping track of who asked you to do what and where that person is.

The name of the person who gave you the quest shows up, but not where they are. A name isn't all that helpful when people move around a lot.

Dikiyoba.

I ran into this problem even when the quest givers didn't move - I couldn't always remember where certain people were. That's where the Synergizer item list came in handy - I'd just search it for the name of the quest giver. It was also useful for knowing whether or not somebody would make new quests available later, so I'd know whether to go back and revisit them.

The name of the person who gave you the quest shows up, but not where they are. A name isn't all that helpful when people move around a lot.

Well to be fair, nothing apart from a brute force search is helpful in case people have moved and you are playing the game by yourself.

It was also useful for knowing whether or not somebody would make new quests available later, so I'd know whether to go back and revisit them.

Dunno, most such guys made it pretty clear though.

Dunno, most such guys made it pretty clear though.

Yes, but that requires remembering which ones had previously made it clear. At my age, that is not always easy. ;) I could try writing it down, but whenever I try that, I forget where I put the paper ... If only these games allowed us to create, organize, and edit our own journal entries rather than just copying things that were said to us.

I prefer using paper because I don't have to spend the time closing the game and opening up a text file, and it's always there in front of me on the desk. I apparently can't switch windows while playing, so paper is quite a convenience. The only problem is that I end up using said paper to scribble calculations for my engineering homework, so notes on Avadon are eventually gobbled up by calculus.

Excalibur, did some digging and found a post by Mr. Vogel confirming that this is a software problem he can't do anything about. That said, apparently, if you play the game in a window rather than in full screen mode, you should be able to switch windows with Command+Tab.

Interesting, I will keep that in mind. Thank you.