So what do you think...

Mosquito---Slayer

UBB or IPB  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like?

• Whoa, this is great,I shudder to think i ever posted in UBB.
    • UBB was good but this is better.
    • Bah, they are all the same.
    • Hummm, I think i will go with UBB.
    • UBB, where are you?, why did you go away?,,please come back...,please do.

Hey, Earth Empires, the Change Theme option is on the very bottom of the page, on the left, next to the orange RSS feed button.

EDIT: OH DANG I DIDN'T REALIZE A ZILLION PEOPLE ANSWERED THIS ALREADY

INCLUDING MYSELF APPARENTLY

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff

"Mark" is an action verb with an understood you for the subject. "Community" is a direct object signifying what is being marked. (Invision calls forums "communities" for some reason.) "Read" is an adjective modifying "community;" in this case it is showing in what way the community is marked.

[/middle school English teacher diagramming sentences]

I'm not saying it doesn't sound awkward, but it is a legitimate, grammatically correct sentence.

My guess about Windows 8 is that Microsoft drank some interface design guru's Kool-Aid, and bet the farm on the naive notion that people will like a sensible and functional interface. The problem with that is that most people upgrade their operating systems in order to get better eye candy. We don't admit it, but I think that's the real motivator in most cases. It's not the reason we upgrade, but it's what makes us look for a reason to upgrade. Anyone too sensible for that is too sensible to buy a new OS when the old one still works fine.

iOS and Android apps look like happy little jelly beans on your screen. Yay! Metro is sensible. Meh.

In response to SoT:

I know I'm not the average person, but I upgrade an Operating System to improve efficiency and to learn firsthand how to fix what all of my friends and relatives think that they've broken.

Granted, yes, there are a few aesthetic customizing options in Windows 7 that I wouldn't mind using. But I do want to point out that I went from Windows 2000 Pro to XP kicking and screaming.

Also:

EDIT: OH DANG I DIDN'T REALIZE A ZILLION PEOPLE ANSWERED THIS ALREADY

INCLUDING MYSELF APPARENTLY

Please tell me this was sarcasm.

Please.

The Silent Assassin has a certain Linux installation on one of our laptops just so that he can flip between desktops to suit his mood.

I've been seeing a lot of pictures of Disney's Hades of late.

Microsoft makes money forcing customers to buy new OS by no longer supporting the older ones.

Untrue. The average consumer will never upgrade the OS on their computer before they buy a new one. Microsoft still releases security patches for Windows XP, and that came out 11 years ago.

I believe not supporting old things is Apple's go-to method.

Meanwhile, my third-gen iPod Touch isn't getting updates anymore, and no user of a modern Mac can play BoE without emulation. Hmm.

You are not wrong, but, to be fair, BoE would not run on modern 64-bit Windows until the community updated it after it went open-source.

My friend's been using 8's trial version from about an year ago and he seems to be pretty happy about it, as for me I am not switching from XP till maybe an act of God destroys it.

i downloaded the consumer preview because i wanted a legal free version of windows to install on my mac for when i needed it. it's worth what i paid for it at least. as a tablet ui metro is probably not so bad, but it doesn't work so well on the desktop. but hey, mostly you can ignore it and use win 8 like a very slightly more annoying version of win 7 if you want

I believe not supporting old things is Apple's go-to method.

Meanwhile, my third-gen iPod Touch isn't getting updates anymore, and no user of a modern Mac can play BoE without emulation. Hmm.

This isn't so much an OS creep problem as the fact that Apple had a huge shift to Unix architecture, and then the switch to Intel chips made things even more complicated. I miss old software, but I'm impressed with how much compatibility Apple has managed to maintain through these major changes in what their OSes do under the hood.

—Alorael, who after this post will suggest not starting OS wars. Those end in tears.

The biggest reason I avoid Windows as a main OS is that it's labor-intensive and inconvenient to maintain. On Windows I end up putting as much effort into keeping the stupid thing secured and updated as into getting work (and play) done. The security stuff especially is ridiculous.

I installed it in 2009, and never did any of that stuff apart from installing an antivirus, it still works fine enough.

Besides it's much easier making jokes about them, the other OS's don't really land themselves for puns so nicely :p .

This is much better than UBB, but we've spent more time on those boards. The fun stuff, the stuff, the fun, the fun, the stuff, The stuff fun. Also, UBB's design is plain, simple and easy to understand. BMA even told me that it takes forever to load these boards, although, there is a mobile version of it, but I can't find the login. So, I pick the 4th choice.

Ratings (IPB):

Design and features

+++++

Memories

+

Sophistication (too much sophistication is baaaaad for a Nightwatcher :( I couldn't adapt easily, and this reminds me of a board I once loathed):

++++

====

Ratings (UBB)

Design and features:

+++

Memories:

++++++ (6/5?!?!)

Sophistication:

++

-----------------

-A

Also, UBB's design is plain, simple and easy to understand. BMA even told me that it takes forever to load these boards, although, there is a mobile version of it, but I can't find the login.
If you hit the little blue button with four white squares in the upper right, it will give you several options, including a sign in option.