So what do you think...

Mosquito---Slayer

UBB or IPB  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like?

• Whoa, this is great,I shudder to think i ever posted in UBB.
    • UBB was good but this is better.
    • Bah, they are all the same.
    • Hummm, I think i will go with UBB.
    • UBB, where are you?, why did you go away?,,please come back...,please do.

There are some things I miss about the old board. Not UBB specific but just the new layout is taking some getting used to. For example, I just noticed that the title of the thread is no longer at the top of each person's post. When I click the "Next Unread Topic-->" link it brings me to new unread content but without the name of the topic on the posts I have to scroll to the top of the page to know what I'm posting in, anyway. I'll note this in the proper thread, too.

There are some things I miss about the old board. Not UBB specific but just the new layout is taking some getting used to. For example, I just noticed that the title of the thread is no longer at the top of each person's post. When I click the "Next Unread Topic-->" link it brings me to new unread content but without the name of the topic on the posts I have to scroll to the top of the page to know what I'm posting in, anyway. I'll note this in the proper thread, too.

You can click on the circle or star next to the thread title to go to the oldest unread post in a thread. It shows a circle for threads in which you have not posted and a star for threads in which you have.

Ya, I know that. But the "Next Unread Topic-->" link is supposed to be there for convenience. I do not find it convenient without the name of the topic on each post. Just saying.

Clicking on the "Back to General" link and then the blue dot works but it's two clicks over one. Yer makin me do twice the work!!1!

Edited by Jewels in Black

Ya, I know that. But the "Next Unread Topic-->" link is supposed to be there for convenience. I do not find it convenient without the name of the topic on each post. Just saying.

Sorry, I misunderstood. The topic title does appear in the name of the page though. You should see it at the top of your browser window without having to scroll up.

I will ask Sylae to take a look. The forum skins are edited in raw CSS, and that goes right over my head.

This would actually fall mostly under the templating, not the skinning, so it's some weird hybrid of XML and PHP to create HTML.

But yeah, having the topic title there would be pretty handy, at least somewhere. There's a bunch of other stuff I would like to change about the post display as well.

my FF 15 doesn't :( it puts the names in the tabs only

It'll be in your taskbar tab, though, at least. Although if your taskflow is anything like mine there's not much room down there :p

I'm on Firefox 16.0.1 and it has the title in the title bar. Maybe it's newfangled Windows styling conventions or something? I'm using Linux. I know Ashley's Mac OS X laptop has different styling baloney than my Linux boxes, or the WinXP I had on both of them previously.

I like it.

But I have mixed feelings about all the ajax and javascript animations.

Time was, Spiderweb was powered by Perl scripts using flat files, and your signature didn't update until you posted in the thread, and if a topic got too long, the Old Ones would devour it. We didn't have no fancy Javascript then, no sir. When we wanted to post, we had to open a form, and then we got sent to an interstitial page eventually redirecting us to the topic. Uphill both ways, in the blizzard.

I have no idea how the new boards compare to UBB technically. They do seem more functional; OTOH the default skin is kind of distracting and makes stuff hard to read (and there don't seem to be any alternative skins).

There are a handful of skins actually, and even one that resembles the old UBB. You can change between them by going to the far bottom-left of the page and clicking on the "Change Theme" option.

On a side note: I think it's kind of odd how the poll results are rounded to the nearest hundredth of a percent. Although, it'd be interesting to see if the polling works any differently if there are multiple questions or if respondents are allowed to choose more than one answer. UBBthreads wasn't so great in that regard, after all.

I like your improved edition of my poll... good feedback too! Thanks, even thought I was going to get around to doing it (in November ;) ). I guess we can shut down the other one.

Thanks,

I am actually pretty surprised at how many people went for the extreme options, I had mainly added them just for fun.

Also Dikiyoba had shut down your earlier poll in UBB itself so you don't need to bother about that.

@Nikki~ - Thanks for the info about skins, these boards are getting cooler by the day.

I would prefer UBB better, since it was what i was used to using. I liked that you could use an emotioncon to represent your mood for the day. Which you can't use in this one. Plus, the texture and interface gave it the look of all the Spiderweb Software's games. That nice old school rpg feel. In this one, it looks too new and poloished to give you that kinda feel. Its just not the same "theme" like UBB. This forum needs an old school look to match up with the games Jeff makes. :(

However, the interface is rather clean in this one. Its easy to navigate, and you don't have boxes cluttering your screen. Still, the "old school" theme was great, and honestly a new and clean interface doesn't make up for that. :whistle:

There is a "Spiderlicious" theme that you can switch to, that will at some point be reminiscent of the old UBB spidweb theme. Right now, however, it's just a couple color changes and one or two formatting differences.

spiderlicious is the default theme, you're thinking of vintage

^ What Rowen said.

Also, I really like this new "there are XX new posts" feature. :p

The Silent Assassin will now be taking donations for the Feed Pie to Hungry Kitties fund. Remember, your gifts are tax-deductible, and go a long way to preventing the cat from getting stuck in his lab experiments.

I have yet to fully move to Windows 7 from XP, and will probably only do so when my motherboard craps out... likely within the next year.

Windows 8... the one-OS-for-all-platforms concept sounds ok, but after the whole Longhorn/Vista/7 fiasco, it really really seems too soon for another full OS.

The Silent Assassin still has Microsoft Bob running on one of the computers in Engineering Lab 2. He says that it's for inspiration.

So Win 8 is out,

So what do you think?

Is anyone else as unphased as I am?

I tried a developer preview about a year ago, and it was baaad. From what I've read on it in /., it hasn't improved.

Someone looking to make a buck would buy up all the cheap Win7 disks that retailers are trying to get off the shelves for Win8, then sell them back to all the desperate computer owners looking for something usable.

Edited by Sylae
not an instance of "they changed it now it sucks". Walled garden screwing things up, and, well, Metro. Need I say more?