They Changed It Now It Sucks

keira

I never understood non-alcoholic wine when they already make grape juice.

Grape juice and wine have different tastes. I've never tried non-alcoholic wine, but I assume it tastes more like wine than grape juice. Otherwise, wouldn't they just call it grape juice?

(Unless of course they were just looking for a reason to raise the price. This grape juice is made in France! From French wine grapes! That's why you should pay $20 for this bottle instead of $5 for the larger bottle of grape juice in the juice aisle!!)

OK, I understand the social aspect of them, but if it weren't for the caffeine in coffee, I wouldn't bother with it. It took me years to accept the bitter taste of coffee. The only time I would drink it during my college years was when I was studying for an exam.

As for non-alcoholic beer, shoot, I'm not proud; hand me coke. If that's not available, H2O works fine too. O'Doules just tastes flat to me.

O'Doules makes me sick. It's awful. Try the non-alcoholic Kirin. You might have to go to a Japanese grocer for it though. That's where I get it.

There's grape juice, and there's grape juice. I've had grape juice that tasted like wine but without the alcohol and fizziness. Then you have filtered, sweetened, colored piss like Welch's "grape juice".

O'Doules makes me sick. It's awful. Try the non-alcoholic Kirin. You might have to go to a Japanese grocer for it though. That's where I get it.

There's grape juice, and there's grape juice. I've had grape juice that tasted like wine but without the alcohol and fizziness. Then you have filtered, sweetened, colored piss like Welch's "grape juice".

Welch's grape juice isn't sweetened or colored...

My parents took us to a Southern Baptist church when I was in high school. Becasue Southern Baptists don't drink alcohol, communion was performed with a non-alcoholic wine. The experience has forever deterred me from ever consuming any such thing again, although it might be the combination with unleavened bread that's culprit.

It took me years to accept the bitter taste of coffee.

What is this bitterness you speak of? My white-chocolate-peppermint mochachino is not bitter. It is rich and sweet and makes me tingly warm from head to toe. Granted, the tingling is probably more like the jitters but if you don't like the taste of coffee, ur doin it wrong...

When I first started drinking coffee during those long crash studies, I had to load it with sugar and cream in order to get past the bitterness of industrial strength coffee. Then one day came when I was in the army working on a programming project. My hours were from noon to when. Most often it wasn't until 0600 that we took off for a quick cat nap and back at it again at 1200. It happened that all of sudden there was no creamer or sugar, and with 4 more hours to go, I had to start taking it down black. Which is what I still do for the most part. I still enjoy the occasional mocha, but not very often. Long story short (too late) it took a while and an act of desperation to get used to it,

What is this bitterness you speak of? My white-chocolate-peppermint mochachino is not bitter. It is rich and sweet and makes me tingly warm from head to toe. Granted, the tingling is probably more like the jitters but if you don't like the taste of coffee, ur doin it wrong...

if you like the taste of coffee why would you put all that other stuff in it

I drink coffee black. Not often, but a few times a month I'll need something to help me get through a morning, usually when someone is droning about something and I have to stay awake for appearances. I don't like coffee; I've now grown to appreciate the taste of coffee, and I can tell good coffee from terrible, but I don't really like any. It's a performance-enhancing drug and I drink it as such.

My feelings about various adulterated coffee beverages pushed by Starbucks and company are that if I wanted to drink a milkshake I'd get a milkshake and not try to pretend it's coffee.

—Alorael, who acknowledges that they can be tasty beverages. He just doesn't want to drink them as coffee. Real coffee should feel like being kicked in the neurotransmitters.

I mostly drink Dunkin Donuts coffee (brewed at home from store-bought grounds) because that's what my mother buys. It's quite good and only very slightly bitter. When I brew it so super strong that my mother can't drink it and complains about it, it tastes fruity, very sweet and acidic, with the many other more subtle coffee flavors, but bitter is not one of them. Sometimes I drink coffee with skim milk, sometimes black. The nuclear bomb I brewed and put in the refrigerator in preparation for the hurricane (turns out we didn't need it) is so acidic that it's undrinkable without milk, but it's still delicious.

My feelings about various adulterated coffee beverages pushed by Starbucks and company are that if I wanted to drink a milkshake I'd get a milkshake and not try to pretend it's coffee.

Coffee drinks by Starbucks are disgusting. The best coffee drinks come from drive-through stands (those seem to be mainly a Pacific Northwest phenomenon, though) and non-chain coffeehouses. They're certainly not inferior milkshakes. Coffee drinks and milkshakes are two distinct beverages. The only thing they share in common is being expensive when bought and hard to get just right when made at home.

Dikiyoba believes most coffee cakes aren't made with coffee. They are meant to be eaten while drinking coffee, though, so the potential taste combo is clearly there.

I drink about six Nespressos a day. Nespresso isn't as good as the best espresso made with a big machine, but it's decent enough, and very convenient. I especially recommend it for office espresso, because the machines take essentially no maintenance, and nobody has to administer the coffee fund, because everyone just orders their own capsules. You can get better coffee from one of the automatic espresso machines that grind the beans fresh each time, but only if you buy good beans often enough to keep them fresh, and clean the machine almost constantly. I've never seen anyone maintain those conditions for more than the first month, and thereafter you're drinking pretty crummy coffee from your giant machine.

The best espresso is a whole different kind of beverage, really. Not the faintest hint of bitterness; it can even taste slightly sweet, without any sugar; but a really intense coffee flavor. Getting that takes magic, though. Everything has to be right. They do it pretty routinely in Italy, but hardly anywhere else, and I don't understand why. Coffee doesn't even grow in Italy. Italian coffee bars can't be doing anything that couldn't be done anywhere else.

My favorite black coffee is Starbucks' Pike Place roast, which is unfortunate because it's relatively expensive and I can't find anything with a comparable taste. All of the other coffee places on campus sell Pete's coffee, which I don't like.

I would reference a line in the film Airplane! but I don't think it's child appropriate (It's rated PG, but this was before they had the PG-13 rating!).

(Okay, why does the cursor like to jump around after using italics?)

Used to add enough sugar to turn it into syrup (also tried all kinds of flavoring from caramel, vanilla, chocolate to irish cream). Now I just add a shot of milk.

I've had pure black coffee in emergencies (eg. "the milk has congealed but I need awake right now"). The first sip is almost electrifying. Maybe I should do that more often.

In any case, either my tastebuds are crud or all our coffee tastes basically the same. I can tell the difference between brew and instant, but all other distinctions are lost.

if you like the taste of coffee why would you put all that other stuff in it

To the effect of what Nalyd said, The tongue enjoys many tastes and some of those tastes can be found raw in nature but culinary delights are most frequently found when tastes are mixed together and cooked a certain way. Would you eat your steak without seasoning, or your pizza without sauce, cheese, and toppings, or your vanilla ice cream without *gasp* chocolate syrup?!

I never did say I liked the taste of black coffee, just opinionated that if you don't like the way your coffee tastes if you try it differently you'll likely find a flavor you do like.

At home, I my coffee is by volume one part milk, two to three parts coffee (to cool it down a bit). In a restaurant, I usually add two or three creamers, and the same number of sugar packets (it tends to taste burnt). I don't normally drink coffee black unless either it actually tases good to me that way, or I simply have no choice.

If the coffee is hot, I usually add half a cup to a cup of cold skim milk per cup of coffee, just so I can drink it quickly without burning myself.

I don't drink it quickly because I don't enjoy it, mind you. I need a good mouthful in order to really enjoy any beverage, so I almost always drink fast.

There's really only one reason to care how everyone takes their coffee, so who's buying? I'll have mine black, thanks.

I prefer mine to be tea; Earl Grey, black. There are very few times I'll actually order coffee from a coffee shop, and when I do I'll just about always have regular filter coffee. I do drink coffee at home, though, in fairly large quantities.

I hear most people hate green tea with milk, but I love green tea with milk. With the exception of sencha green tea which is like dessert on its own, I almost always add about one part skim milk to three parts green tea. I find it imparts a delicious perfumey flavor. I first did this with hoji-cha, which is smoked green tea, before I realized it was green and not black. I've since tried it with other green teas, and I've found it to be wonderful.