They Changed It Now It Sucks

keira

What does the 0 warning points below my name mean?

It means you haven't received any warning points. That's probably a good thing, although it's also unsurprising since it's a feature that only just appeared with the forum change. Forum features may continue to change over the next few days as the changeover finishes.

I miss being able to display a complete message on my browser (Firefox for Mac). It's too broad & to read it & I have to keep scrolling back & forth manually. Changing the font size won't fix it & only makes it worse. Since I need the larger print to read it comfortably I'm going to be courting tunnel carpel syndrome for the forseeable future along with eye strain.

Also what happebned to all the other Faces...I seem to find only a smiley. Sometimes Smiles don't cut it when I've got troubles.

Parakeet

Ooh, hey, new fora.

You've had this place redecorated, haven't you? I like it. (Seriously, great work on the skin.)

Basically, I assumed that, while the IDs of the UBB and IPB posts changed, the timestamps would remain the same. Therefore, if post ubb.1 had timestamp x, then the ipb post with timestamp x must match it. Sounds logical, right?

Unfortunately, it turns out that there are 71,473 cases in which different posts have the same timestamp. For most of these, it's a toss-up between two posts. However, for a select few there can be up to six options to choose from. This means we must use something else in addition to timestamps to compare posts.

Major PPP deja vu. :p

Timestamp and author UID should be unique together (except for actual duplicated posts). Of course, the UIDs have changed too, but since the order has remained the same, those should be easy to match up if you have a complete user list of both forums.

If possible I'd like to see the title of the thread back at the top of each person's post. (ex. RE: They Changed It Now It Sucks) When I click the "Next Unread Topic-->" link it brings me to new unread content but without the name of the topic on the posts I have to scroll to the top of the page to know what I'm posting in, anyway. Not convenient... at least for me.

If possible I'd like to see the title of the thread back at the top of each person's post. (ex. RE: They Changed It Now It Sucks) When I click the "Next Unread Topic-->" link it brings me to new unread content but without the name of the topic on the posts I have to scroll to the top of the page to know what I'm posting in, anyway. Not convenient... at least for me.

You could just look up at the title bar of your browser.

Done.

Edited by Sylae
at least on Spiderlicious

I've noticed that there isn't a list of titles in the help section (Or I just haven't found it). I know people usually make a thread to ask about, but it's nice to have somewhere for reference.

Edit: Mods are blue now. Yay!

Edited by Excalibur

What I'd like is a script that replaced everybody's PDN with either their original one (by default) or by one of my choosing from their history (in case I know them best by some other name). It could show their current PDN as some sort of undertitle.

Alternatively we could let everybody give themselves custom titles and not let them change their PDNs. Then if you feel like changing your name, just change your title.

I am a bear of very little brain, and changing PDNs bother me.

I'm probably one of the few that are most guilty for confusing people through changing PDNs. I'm also not at all known (as much as I am known at all) for my original PDN, which clearly shows how dull I was back then - I'm sure it was a good couple of years before I started going by 'Nikki'.

On the flip side, I'm fairly good at remembering who people are despite their changing names, so I guess it isn't all bad.

The name I registered under is not Actaeon. I imagine I am not alone in preferring my current, relatively permanent PDN. There are also those who may have used their real name for their original account and thought better of it. I know mods can see usernames, but there's security keeping the rest of us from that.

Same here. My original PDN was from when I was pretending to be a space alien, and the space alien's name was my PDN and still is my username. In fact it's still my AIM ID and email address as well, but only because those are the addresses everyone I talk to knows. I definitely prefer being ADoS though.

On the other hand, nobody should be forced to stick with the first thing that popped into their head when they were registering just to ask a single question about a game.

This. I really don't fancy going about as w-dueck, for obvious reasons.

But a script to do such a thing would actually be rather easy to implement. Simple greasemonkey find-replace that calls to an external API to get the "common name".

In theory, almost everything about the forum output can be skinned. That includes making an optional skin that shows login names instead of PDNs.

In practice, login names are private information. They've never been visible to non-moderators, and probably shouldn't be. And choosing a particular PDN from the history and showing that goes way beyond skinning.

On the other hand, a greasemonkey script that recognizes members by UID and replaces their PDN with a fixed string is probably doable. It would also allow renaming people you don't like with various unflattering titles only you can see, for much hilarity. I don't really have time or much interest in the idea though, so this would be for someone else to do.

I am known by my login name and original PDN that I used for several years, although the number of people who remember that period is alarmingly small now.

—Alorael, who would also like to be able to stick permanent names on people. His Greasemonkey skills are nil, though, so he'll add to the chorus of requests.

I am known by my login name and original PDN that I used for several years

Back on Ikonboard, and the reason you started changing name was that Drake refused to give you a custom title, as I recall. Or did he give you a custon title that was identical to one of the post count titles, so you could never achieve ultimate postliness?

Ah, strange world.

Back on Ikonboard, and the reason you started changing name was that Drake refused to give you a custom title, as I recall. Or did he give you a custon title that was identical to one of the post count titles, so you could never achieve ultimate postliness?

Ah, strange world.

Hitting 10,000 posts without a custom title was the reason, yes. And instead Drakey kept adding more levels of post title. But then he moved the goalposts on me so I could never get to Postaroni, Pizzabella!

—Alorael, who has decided that today is the day for a custom title. He's given himself a few daily ones, which may or may not have been noticed, but he's feeling a permanent change coming on. Maybe it'll last out the week!

While we're on about this stuff, is it possible to get a

spoiler button

on the reply window? As I've just demonstrated, you can do it by just typing in 'spoiler' between a pair of [ ], but we use those things a lot, and it would be nice to have a button.

I would even choose spoilers over superscripts which can be nested with subscripts, my goodness, to produce bizarre texts that are still not as useful as spoiler tags.

I remember this guy called SuperNik from way back. He was, like, the coolest. And then he left the forum for a while and then he came back and then he changed his name. It's so hard to remember who he is now... >.>

It was an 'a', not an 'er'. And I don't think he ever left, he just got replaced by the T1000 somebody slightly less irksome. Kind of like Gizmo.