1 Real, 1 Fantasy: Both Extremely Evil People

Valdain the King

I find that there are very large similarities between 2 naturally evil people. One of them is real, the other is fantasy.

The first one is Emperor Hawthorn from Avernum 1. He is a naturally devious person who controls an empire like a perfect puppet master would. He is like the other person, useless in a fight and gets by alone through equipment and support from others who wants to cover up his wrongs.

The second one is real, and like the first one, he is the epitome of evil. He was a coach in Penn state and like the first, had his vices. He like Hawthorn had no skills and was essentially useless in a fight. He instead allowed his followers to cover up his wrongs. Its almost too convenient that a comparison like this exists.

Well bounce my ballsack, you're right! It's so clear now! Even though Avernum 1 was released a full year before any of the Sandusky events happened, it is entirely plausible that Jeff traveled forward eight years into the future to watch the start of the Sandusky trial on CNN.

Or maybe good ol' Jerry's an indie fan and based what he was going to do at his job the next year on the intense, relentless, sexual abuse that occurs in Avernum 1, a game intended to me played by his pray. Or maybe, Jeff himself is mind controlling Sandusky for the publicity. Now that you've noticed the correlation, we can finally get the SW website's sales higher than Steam's.

Feel a little ridiculous? Do you regret making this post yet?

The parallel is really a stretch, and there's pretty clearly no causality at all. I'd expect a punchline, but I don't see one. It would make maybe a little bit more sense if Hawthorn were known for his vices or Sandusky for his tyranny, but, no their forms of evil are entirely different.

—Alorael, who wouldn't even call either one the epitome of evil. Bad people, yes, but there have been far worse in both fantasy and reality.

Well Im surprised that not many of you agree with my comparison. It makes so much sense to me. But still I will say this-There are many other instances where you can draw comparisons in games. Hawthorn was a mage, and a derelict, and likely had his vices. That much is known.

But there are some things that are just so clear its not even funny. Take Avernum 5 for example. There was a character named: Hrickis, who was a sorcerer, a pedophile and an evil person. You not only find him out, but when you expose him in his lair, there are children hiding in one of the rooms. There's got to be one person that remembers that part in that game. Thats an even better comparison than Hawthorn.

Originally Posted By: Valdain the King
But there are some things that are just so clear its not even funny. Take Avernum 5 for example. There was a character named: Hrickis, who was a sorcerer, a pedophile and an evil person. You not only find him out, but when you expose him in his lair, there are children hiding in one of the rooms.

what

no there weren't

are you just making things up now