I went for 2 -- it kept the multiple-faction plot, and gave you a freedom of action I liked, but your choices had consequences. I don't care how cartoony it looked - that first drakon was <i>scary</i> the first time I met him. And I always liked being recognized for making it through as a canister virgin (I played as a loyal shaper, unaligned with any mountain faction). 4 felt a little "forced" - once you picked a path, the plot was pretty well laid out, and the way it forced you into it was a little crude (plus you couldn't make drayks without using canisters). 5 was my second favorite - I went the Trakovite way and liked the feel of the ending.

Four by far. It has a good plot, and more importantly, a plot that moves forward at a good pace without and makes me feel like my actions had an effect on the world in a meaningful way outside of the endgame. 4 and 3 were the best in this regard, in my opinion, but I choose 4 over 3 because the rebels are mroe likeable/shapers less likeable, which makes choosing between them more difficult, and because four has a much wider range of endings available and going cannister/no cannsiter actually has a much more noticable change on the ending if pro-shaper. I felt that the plot of G2 fell apart and lost direction shortly after getting out of the mines, which is a pity because I really liked it up until then. I also felt like the game was trying to coerce me into joining one of the factions, none of which were really good options for someone who wanted to remain true to the shaper cause, which put me in a rather awkward position of being nudged to pick from a pack of factions that any true loyalist shaper would be morally repulsed by. I 'finished' the game by exiting through the valley without joining any factions, sticking around just long enough to kill Barzahl's right-hand man in a duel. I left the game on a sour note and really don't have the motivation to pick it up and give it another go. Geneforge 2 was my least favorite.

I think Geneforge 5 is my second least favorite because many of the plot elements introduced are not resolved, namely the identity of the player character. I also disliked the fact that the effects of cannisters were missing from the game because it removed one of the core moral quandries of the series. The faction system was rather unfulfiling, despite technically giving more options than G3 and G4 had because the faction selection for shaper-characters is really limited, with no route for moderate shapers and an annoying reputation requirement for joining factions that made switching sides a lot more difficult than in G3 or G4. Lastly, two of my favorite characters from previous games were missing, Miranda adn Khyryk, which was a bit disheartening.

If I had to order the ones I have played (still haven't beaten G1 yet) it would be G4>G3>G5>G2

A great series, definately. I would buy a new entry for the series in a heartbeat if Jeff ever came back to it.

Geneforge 5. By far. It's like all the best pieces of the previous games, combined into one super game. IT has all the factions of Geneforge 2 (and more) + the compelling plot of Geneforge 4. What's not to love?

Plus, the combat is the most balanced its ever been. Unlike previous games, there's very little room for cheesing one broken skill because everything has been mostly balanced. Given this, I actually think G5 is also the hardest Geneforge game (which, again, is a good thing).

I do like G4 as well, but G5 has everything G4 has, and more. Plus, I think Alwain is way more interesting as a character in G5 than he is in G4.

Although, G4 is probably a close second to G5.

I, being an ever loving pro-Shaper, was always sad that I was never really able to play a Shaper. I loved saying, "Fear me or else I will melt you," and watch the people scream in terror. Ah, good times, good times. But, all in all, every Geneforge game was amazing. G5, however, was probably one of my favorites, except the fact that I still never found out my identity and that what happened to me after the Shapers took control again was kind of... vague.

Geneforge Four: Rebellion was my favorite, because it seemed like the most realistic plot. Having to pick between two terrible sides with lofty ideals, and one group of idealists who had little actual power, that was something I know many people didn't like. However, I'm a real fan of that bleak amoralism. Moreover, no other game really captured the feeling of there being a war going on as well as Geneforge Four did. And it was really good to get to start out as a rebel.

So, for the sublime combination of grit and amorality, Geneforge Four is my favorite.

• 5 years later...