New Spiderwebs software game

Niko

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
Avadon to 6 games (possibly).

Jeff has been pretty clear that Avadon is only going to be a trilogy.

(Of course it could be a trilogy with more than three installments, or it could be a trilogy like Exile (Jeff pretty much said "no" to making Exile/Avernum 4 for *years* before giving in and doing it), but I think it's safe to say Avadon 3 will be where Jeff stops. At least for the foreseeable future.)

It took Jeff eight years to get from Exile 3 to Avernum 4. Even if there are more Avernum installments, and the ending makes that tough, it'll take a while. Avadon's supposed to stick to three games, but I'd be less surprised if Jeff found he had more ideas and a successful series on his hands and kept going.

—Alorael, who would be most surprised by a first-person action RPG. It's far outside Jeff's wheelhouse, he'd need to get entirely new graphics that would have to stand up to slightly higher realism, and he'd risk alienating his turn-based, isometric fans. That's too many risks for someone as conservative about these things as Jeff.

Jeff mentioned that he had an idea for an Avernum prequel game. That is more likely than a sequel especially after he took such delight in killing off the main NPCs.

As to a FPS, that would involve so much new code that it is extremely unlikely. Jeff has said that he isn't that good at coding so he reuses as much as he can from his previous games.

The problem with having made so many games that now need touch up is that Jeff is looking at a schedule of revisions that will take him a daunting amount of time. Moreover, by the time he finished the next two Avernums and the first three Geneforges, the current new generation of games will need an update.

I'm glad he's still putting an emphasis on making new games.

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
The problem with having made so many games that now need touch up is that Jeff is looking at a schedule of revisions that will take him a daunting amount of time. Moreover, by the time he finished the next two Avernums and the first three Geneforges, the current new generation of games will need an update.

I'm glad he's still putting an emphasis on making new games.

It may be that at some point it'll make financial sense to pay someone else to do remakes, the way it already makes sense to pay for Android ports. We'll see.

But couldnt there be another avernum game coming?

Avernum 1-3 were good but I didnt like the graphics.

I like avernum 4 the most but the rest 5 and 6 I dont like.

What I should like to see in Avernum 7 is that it whould have all its land masses and more freedom way tp play.

Like more options to do and more skills.

Skills like, alchemy.

Whould Avernum online be good from you others?

From what I've gathered from the conversations in these forums is that at the end of A6, the kingdom is pretty much destroyed, with half of it belonging to the Slith, the other half belonging to the dragon and the rest to the Vahnati. There is no Avernum for Jeff to make a game in. By the time the Empire succeed in rebuilding the portal it would probably already belong to Melanchion and as he is not very hostile and the Empire has become more docile and respectful of other races, they will probably won't try to rebuild Avernum which is and was (coupled with the Vahnati) their greatest enemy.

The only way I can see a sequel is if it will be Avernum 7 : Reconquest of the Abyss.

400 years in the future an emperor rises which reflects the old thoughts and attitudes of the old emperors and one of the descendants of Melanchion has ticked him off and so he sends an army to take over the Abyss once more and tap into its unfathomable riches.

Now just incorporate a band of adventurers like was done in A5 and you have your backstory.

I will have to say that just because parts of Avernum are now ruled by someone else doesn't mean that that area has somehow disappeared It can still very much be used in the story, Melanchion and Vahnahties are in any case friendly enough, and large swathes of hostile Slith territory can be a pretty fun addition. The only limitation i see for A7 is whether Jeff wants to make it, and he probably doesn't, Drawing the tower of magi sixth time got to be enough to make you nuts.

Geneforge 6 is not certain at all. Remember that the continent vanished after G5. We can only assume an important bureaucratic library was burned in the fighting and thus no one recalls that it was there.

—Alorael, who knows how important bureaucracy is to world-spanning empires. Once the Shapers lost track of their extra continent it's certain that everyone living there would emigrate back to Terrestia so they could know where they were again.

Originally Posted By: Slenderman.
Geneforge 6 is a sure thing.

... Nobody tells me these things. Until recently, my understanding was that Geneforge remakes and sequels were just a pipe dream. Next thing you know, Jeff will be releasing Blades of Geneforge for Android only, and everyone will be carrying as if things were normal.

I thought Geneforge 5 was meant to be the finale of the series? I haven't played it yet (G4 and G5 are the last two Spiderweb Games I still need to play), so I may be mistaken. But the description of it on the Spiderweb website ("Spiderweb Software brings you Geneforge 5: Overthrow, the final chapter in their fantasy epic") certainly seems to imply that ...

You are correct, The Rev. Trenton (current PDN Slendermen) is totally making up out of nothing the idea that there will be a Geneforge 6. There is no evidence whatsoever from Jeff that there will ever be such a game. G5 is indeed the last game of the series, so far as we have any reason to believe.

I'll admit I have a general dislike for realtime, first-person games. I prefer having the time to think about my next move.

That said, I don't see why a first-person game has to have snazzy modern graphics. Graphics along the lines of e.g. Hexen could be effective enough to do the job. But really I don't think that would suit Spiderweb very well.

Originally Posted By: Niko
What I should like to see in Avernum 7 is that it whould have all its land masses and more freedom way tp play.
Like more options to do and more skills.
Skills like, alchemy.

Whould Avernum online be good from you others?

You mean like Avernum 3?
The way my dad bought Avernum 3 from all others because you can travel around freely, if you don't want to do your missions yet. There is also a choice where you can travel around either Avernum itself or the surface...

But what I've really wanted is more freedom.... Something like, you can start out as a mage and train at the tower of magi, or as an alchemist and those...
------------
-A

Originally Posted By: Slenderman.
Geneforge 6 is a sure thing. What with there being an entire different continent that is not played on.

You say that. But think of the possibilities how Shaping arts had reach other continents; with that skill ending at Terrestria
-----
The last story pieces of Geneforge 5 has and will remain as a legend. The story breaks off within your will. Help the Shapers or destroy them. Jeff had made 5 factions to join. If that was made, it already meant the story is ending...
-----
-A

A prequel on Sucia in the time of Danette would be really cool. There is no Rebellion yet, but there may well be rogues and rebellions. The question of whether Danette herself should be thought of as a rogue would be interesting. You could start as a Shaper apprentice, as usual, but rise to make decisive contributions, either to finishing the Geneforge, or preventing it.

Avernum 4 had large landscape, good story, good combat system,

Easy skill system, a bit better graphics, good leveling system,

and it added more good things to its lore.

Only I whould have liked more larger landscape,

like the empire lands, vanhatai lands, main lands and the upper avernum. And maby even had new created undiscovered lands.

Anyone played Eschalon?

How can you use in avernum 4 the unlock spells,
because for me it never worked?

Just stand with your mage right near the door and cast it. Also, the effect of the spell is improved by the caster's Tool Use, so both Mage Spells and Tool Use skill should be high to use it effectively.

Oh, I never thought of that, anyway theres 5 months before last I played A4, because it got too hard.

What new spell I whould like in Avrnuem whould be icing or

enchantment spells.

IMO, the best character party whould be, 1 soldier, 1 rebel, 1 priest and 1 sorcerer!

Rebels have tool use, soldier all the weapon skills, priest healing and sorcerer does the most harming damage.

What whould be your kind of best party?

Custom characters can usually have their points allocated better than the premades. The berserker's not bad.

—Alorael, who usually goes with a berserker-like fighter, a polearm user, and two characters who are both mages and priests, but with each one leaning more one way or the other. Tool Use gets dumped on someone.

laugh

Thats good, those settings work.

Though then you cant get more levels for one

example if one whould be a sorcerer and one priest.

Hedge wizard can get them both, but cant get all the highest levels of one magic style.

Tool use is good for dumbed for one.

Do you use the special character abilities in the beginning of creating characters?

Like making the game easer for getting less xp

or making it harder for getting more xp.

Hedge wizard can get them both, but cant get all the highest levels of one magic style.

Actually, she should be able to eventually; it's certainly possible to have Mage or Priest skills up to 17 (or is it 18?) and have the other one at around 10 if you're careful with your skill points. I tend not to give my spellcasters any weapon skills at all though, which frees up a fair amount of skill points.

Some weapons skills can be nice for magic casters in A5 and 6 for the disciplines. For A4 (A5? Dunno if it has unlock spell) you may want to have your dedicated mage have tool use but just remembering to dump wisdom crystals on him to account for it.

As for best setup, I like to have two warriors to absorb damage (sword human and pole slith) and deal it back then have the fragile magic casters healing and doing damage themselves. In the early avernum games I used to have an archer nephil who had the tool use, but I eventually abandoned doing so in the later Avernums due to bows being so weak and separated my wizard into a mage and a priest.

If this post sounds awful, it's because I just dealt with classes, including a midterm, on four hours of sleep. tongue

In A5, unlike any game previously, the unlock spell is used to remove the arcane part of the lock while tool use is used to actually force open the lock; they are completely unconnected. Therefore giving your mage the tool use job will probably make him lag behind in arcane levels (or so to speak).