Major forum change

adc.

Although Sylae's avatar makes me think of what might happen if K-9 mated with a Dalek, she has a point.

In the days of yore, before global mods, the admins wielded their power in the full light of day. Since then, we've experienced an era of calm prosperity. Many of us have grown soft. But not all of us. The last and greatest of that race has withdrawn into a watchful near-silence. The day may yet come when *i will stir from his slumber and summon a new host of admins to reign down vengeance upon the enemies of Spiderweb. I hope you find yourself on the right side.

*i isn't a Star Trek redshirt. He's more like those scary red storm troopers from Star Wars, the Emperor's personal guard, that are only seen once, and are not defeated.

Red vehicles are only faster than others when they're traveling away from you. In the rear-view mirror, it's the blue ones you have to watch out for.

Originally Posted By: Vengenance
Why the heck?
what the ****?
at least that is not the post right now

Zip it anyway. You just keep posting spam so you wouldn't get a headless sacrifice. In other words, wish yourself luck to save you from the sacrifice instead of posting spam and nonsense.

Originally Posted By: A less presumptuous name.
Interestingly enough, and almost tangentially related, a friend's psych textbook on human relations, based on the author's own research, found that both men and women are attracted to red. I knew stareye was sexy...

Who wouldn't like red? Red is just so epic...
------------
-A

In an ideal world, it would restore me to my old member number, but it'll probably go the other direction.

Perhaps this is a good excuse to implement my idea for a Spiderweb festival? An evening of online festivities, before or even during the transition, to celebrate the demise of the UBB and the ushering in of a new and golden age?

Originally Posted By: "A"

How does a process of importing scripts from a forum to another forum work? Does it differ?

The whole idea is that you are taking the data from the old database and sticking it into a new database. Each forum software has it's own schema, so you have to change certain things to get it to work. For example, let's say I was going to transfer a SMF database to a PHPBB schema. I would have to copy the data over in certain ways to make sure the new software can read it. So, let's just look at one table for an example, the posts table.

Here's what the schemas look like:
Click to reveal..

in SMF, it has a schema like so (from CalRef):
Code:
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `whitehall_smf_messages` (  `id_msg` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,  `id_topic` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  `id_board` smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  `poster_time` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  `id_member` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  `id_msg_modified` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  `subject` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',  `poster_name` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',  `poster_email` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',  `poster_ip` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',  `smileys_enabled` tinyint(4) NOT NULL DEFAULT '1',  `modified_time` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  `modified_name` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',  `body` text CHARACTER SET latin1 NOT NULL,  `icon` varchar(16) CHARACTER SET latin1 NOT NULL DEFAULT 'xx',  `approved` tinyint(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT '1',  PRIMARY KEY (`id_msg`),  UNIQUE KEY `topic` (`id_topic`,`id_msg`),  UNIQUE KEY `ID_BOARD` (`id_board`,`id_msg`),  UNIQUE KEY `ID_MEMBER` (`id_member`,`id_msg`),  KEY `participation` (`id_member`,`id_topic`),  KEY `showPosts` (`id_member`,`id_board`),  KEY `ID_TOPIC` (`id_topic`),  KEY `ipIndex` (`poster_ip`(15),`id_topic`),  KEY `approved` (`approved`),  KEY `id_member_msg` (`id_member`,`approved`,`id_msg`),  KEY `current_topic` (`id_topic`,`id_msg`,`id_member`,`approved`),  KEY `related_ip` (`id_member`,`poster_ip`,`id_msg`)) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 AUTO_INCREMENT=24320 ;

In PHPbb it looks like this (from an attempt to get wesnoth user auth):
Code:
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `phpbb_posts` (  `post_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,  `topic_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  `forum_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  `poster_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  `icon_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  `poster_ip` varchar(40) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '',  `post_time` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  `post_approved` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '1',  `post_reported` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  `enable_bbcode` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '1',  `enable_smilies` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '1',  `enable_magic_url` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '1',  `enable_sig` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '1',  `post_username` varchar(255) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '',  `post_subject` varchar(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL DEFAULT '',  `post_text` mediumtext COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,  `post_checksum` varchar(32) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '',  `post_attachment` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  `bbcode_bitfield` varchar(255) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '',  `bbcode_uid` varchar(8) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '',  `post_postcount` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '1',  `post_edit_time` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  `post_edit_reason` varchar(255) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '',  `post_edit_user` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  `post_edit_count` smallint(4) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  `post_edit_locked` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',  PRIMARY KEY (`post_id`),  KEY `forum_id` (`forum_id`),  KEY `topic_id` (`topic_id`),  KEY `poster_ip` (`poster_ip`),  KEY `poster_id` (`poster_id`),  KEY `post_approved` (`post_approved`),  KEY `post_username` (`post_username`),  KEY `tid_post_time` (`topic_id`,`post_time`)) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_bin AUTO_INCREMENT=2 ;

In this case, it's pretty simple. For each record you just have to rename some fields, and most likely there's no overflow issues from changing data types (except for maybe character set stuff, which is just a delight to work with). So, what the script (or person, if you're bored) does is they take the old data and move it over to the right field. So id_msg becomes post_id, body becomes post_text, etc. The only issue is, what do you do with stuff that doesn't exist in one version?

You can see this with the switch from old UBB to UBB.threads in 2008. Everyone from before that point is shown having registered at 11:00 AM MDT. The reason this is there is because the old ubb only recorded date, so the transition script put in filler text.

Since the average bloke doesn't want to / doesn't know how to do this, most softwares provide conversion scripts to do it automatically for you. All you have to do is provide it with a connection to the new database and a dump of the old database (or, perhaps, a connection to the old db as well).

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Dikiyoba is sure many newbies (and some not-so-new-bies) will be sacrificed to the great forum gods as the date of the shift approaches. Anyone want to volunteer?
I volunteer every spambot that's ever run afoul of the mods since the last major UBB upgrade. tongue

Originally Posted By: A less presumptuous name.
Interestingly enough, and almost tangentially related, a friend's psych textbook on human relations, based on the author's own research, found that both men and women are attracted to red.
So, apparently, is bird excrement, according to some study I heard about on the news a few weeks ago. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go and wash my car. Again.

• 3 weeks later...

Attention, Spiderweb! The anticipated forum changeover will be sometime in the next week. There will be some forum downtime, but the plan is for everything to be exactly the same except, you know, new software.

—Alorael, who has tinfoil hats and secure undisclosed locations for reasonable fees.

That's black pudding, and it's actually a sort of sausage. You wouldn't necessarily guess what it's made from if you found it on your plate.

Lots of traditional puddings are more solid than the goopy modern dessert. Fruit puddings, for instance, are very rich, dense cakes.

Black forest cake is chocolate cake with cherries. It's best if it also has a middle layer of rich fondant cream instead of just normal icing.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
That's black pudding, and it's actually a sort of sausage. You wouldn't necessarily guess what it's made from if you found it on your plate.

on the subject of confusing blood sausage with desserts, Korea has a kind of traditional blood sausage called sundae. i can only assume it is intended as a practical joke at the expense of unwary tourists

Originally Posted By: Cairo Jim
Originally Posted By: Harehunter
No, I think kimchee was invented for that purpose.

If you like sauerkraut, you'd like kimchee.

Actually, I am extremely fond of both. Brats sauteed with sauerkraut is one of my favorites.

I am also very fond of rote kraut.

@Actaeon, sounds like a good topic;
random thoughts of food for thought.

Originally Posted By: Mosquito---Slayer
Well that's the first forum change I'm going through, just out of curiosity do people always go nuts and start talking about food during every forum change, or is it that this one has had a special effect on minds?
We already were nuts, having left our sanity at the door when we joined.

I like kim chi, and I love black pudding and sauerkraut.

I just helped my mother pick the leaves off the basil stalks she picked before the first frost. Then she chopped them up, put them in ice cube trays, poured water over them, and put them in the freezer. She says that's a good way to keep fresh basil over the winter.

Yesterday I had whole wheat naan with Chobani pomegranate Greek yogurt for dinner. Tasty!