Major forum change

adc.

Originally Posted By: Mosquito---Slayer
... do people always go nuts and start talking about food during every forum change, or is it that this one has had a special effect on minds?

The fact that it's happening on a Monday probably has an impact. The weekends are traditionally a bit slow on Spiderweb (at least in recent times), and I think those of us who ARE on today feel obligated to post... something. Even if it's just what we had for lunch.

Originally Posted By: Mosquito---Slayer
Well that's the first forum change I'm going through, just out of curiosity do people always go nuts and start talking about food during every forum change, or is it that this one has had a special effect on minds?

To answer your question in a more direct manner, yes. Every forum change that has EVER taken place on the internet was preceded by talk of food. Images of pie, however, is new. tongue

I can't think of a better topic to finish out on. In the year I've been active here, I can think of about a dozen threads concerning food in some form or fashion.

Cake is a common topic. The Harehunter is particularly fond of carrot cake, but it has to have two dozen carrots in it.

(I know that one's old, but it just slides into place so easily.)

I'm thinking that perhaps, when the smoke clears on Monday or Tuesday, it might be a good time to start from scratch with some of our long running threads. I can no longer keep track of the contents of "What have you been reading lately?" or the AIMhack master thread, and I think one of the photo threads has been circulating for years. I would imagine that such bloated topics might be a bit intimidating for new members to dive into.

Sounds Ok with me. I've already trolled the Pun thread for our most memorable exchanges, which Harehaunter (I still love that moniker, Nikki) has posted, and that poor pathetic attempt of the periodic table of puns needs to be buried in the past. Maybe we can collect a good, reasonably funny set.

Originally Posted By: Parakeet
Sigh. About how long will it be down? I suppose we won't have access to the various maps and help files while it's down?

It depends. If it's an actual topic on the forums, like the Strategy Centrals, it'll be down. But a lot of the maps and walkthroughs and such are hosted on other sites and will still be accessible. A Google search will bring them up, or you can save their links now before the forums go down if you know what you'll likely need. You can also save individual topics to your computer so you can have them available while SW is down.

(Yes, other people beat Dikiyoba to the punch, but this has some additional suggestions.)

Hmm...the "last day"...reminds me of the final day in Majora's Mask. Is there a large glaring moon glaring with a baleful glare at UBB?

Also: apple pie FTW.

Also: I know there are a lot foreign foods that cause me to think "Eww, someone eats that?!" I wonder if there are foods that seem normal to me that would provoke comparable grossed-out responses from people from other culinary cultures.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Also: I know there are a lot foreign foods that cause me to think "Eww, someone eats that?!" I wonder if there are foods that seem normal to me that would provoke comparable grossed-out responses from people from other culinary cultures.

One wouldn't have to look further than the whole fast food culture, including the preparation and actual eating of the food, to have an answer to that question.

Only if you're an academic snob. Anyway, I seem to remember Spiderweb favors Huxley over Orwell.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Are you saying you find this discussion tasteless, Nikki?

And so it came to pass the last great pun of the old boards was uttered by Triumph, not Harehunter.

Originally Posted By: Iffy
Originally Posted By: SupaNik
Erm. Nobody's names are in funny colours, and the war with Eastasia goes well!

Should I be worried that I read 'Equestria' instead of Eastasia at first?

Yes, because 1984 is far superior to ponies. wink

My name turned green within a few minutes of logging in. Based off of the Who's Online list, either Tyranicus or Dikiyoba is busy colorizing the board.

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
According to my sources, Diki started it and Tyran is now participating.

As for motivation, Tyran said something about there not being custom colors in the new software.

I can only say that I feel it's appropriate that my last day on the old software shall be spent with a golden hue. Life is good for the king.

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
I'm thinking that perhaps, when the smoke clears on Monday or Tuesday, it might be a good time to start from scratch with some of our long running threads. I can no longer keep track of the contents of "What have you been reading lately?" or the AIMhack master thread, and I think one of the photo threads has been circulating for years. I would imagine that such bloated topics might be a bit intimidating for new members to dive into.

yeah if i revive the tabletop rpg metathread i'm probs going to turn the OP into a set of links to important posts and campaigns