Major forum change

adc.

In theory, everything will be ported over. Profiles, threads, and all. We might lose a few features that are specific to UBB, but that's all. In theory.

Dikiyoba is sure many newbies (and some not-so-new-bies) will be sacrificed to the great forum gods as the date of the shift approaches. Anyone want to volunteer?

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Dikiyoba is sure many newbies (and some not-so-new-bies) will be sacrificed to the great forum gods as the date of the shift approaches. Anyone want to volunteer?

Augh! I don't want to be sacrificed! I must post rapidly before it's too late. Also, I need a gimmick...

What will the change mean practically? I'm not familiar with UBB or forums much for that matter.

Originally Posted By: Cpt. Charles
What will the change mean practically?

CHAOS The last time the company originally hired to make the transition not only ruined the new board but damaged the old version that was meant to be an archive. Links got broken and we spent weeks restoring most of them for the forum headers and strategy central topics.

Several features were lost and the current board is touchy. That is why we are calling for volunteers for sacrifices to appease the spirits.

Originally Posted By: Jerakeen
Ugh, we'll probably lose the use of spoiler tags.

I'd say it's probable that some means of tagging spoilers will remain, even if it's just text the same colour as the background that you have to select to make visible. There's a fair chance it'll even work the same way the current ones do, depending on which forum software the administration ends up deciding on.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
Originally Posted By: Dantius
Unfortunate. I must now accelerate Operation: Beat Tyran's Postcount earlier than expected- I only have a few days left.

Initiating Phase IV in 3... 2... 1...

long way to go.

tongue
He's only 30 posts behind me. 31 now. tongue

It's quite simple, actually. All of the database structures of a forum are pretty similar, so it's not too difficult. Maybe a couple new features have to have zeros for data, or maybe some feature data gets lost to the void, but for the most part it's just renaming and importing and testing (scripts make it a lot simpler, of course)

It gets more complicated when transferring a database made for an entirely different type of project. For example, I imagine much headaches would be made if one tried to convert a forum database to Mediawiki, since the structures are so different.

Maybe those problems are personalized omens of doom that afflict those who are destined to fall to UBB's dying rage when the great change occurs. Kind of like when owls call your name in the dead of night, or crows circle your chimney thrice widdershins and fall dead at your feet. Or maybe not. We may as well be optimistic. Anyway, the temporary workaround solution is the same as for those cases: close the window and try to forget about it.

Originally Posted By: Riibu
Okay, even if this takes a long time to happen it is really going to put my awesome turtle drawing to waste. Has anyone heard of Goggles? I didn't want to spoil it, but it must go down in history.

Haha, awesome. Too bad the drawing tool is such a pain in the butt to use. Or maybe that's a good thing, keeping it a secret for only the most dedicated to use.

Dikiyoba has saved your fluffy turtle for posterity.

Originally Posted By: Vengenance
Why the heck?

what the ****?

at least that is not the post right now

Vengenance, please don't swear on SW. Obscenities are forbidden by the Code of Conduct. If it's something you wouldn't say in front of a little kid, don't use it here. If it triggers the autocensor, don't use it here.

Dikiyoba.

Well, we all know, of course, that red vehicles move faster than their non-red counterparts, right? As such, it's obvious that the administration are only coloured red to highlight the swiftness that their judgement befalls the black-named members, and not to show that they are the "evil" group of members on SW.

Because, after all, the mods are evil too. They're just slower at doling out retribution.