avernum 4 control rod question

Anfauglir

ok so im pretty far in (i think) and still those shades mock me with their 1%, im pretty sure im missing something since the strategy guides ive read mention:

"Head south and you'll find the room in which the

three great shades were made. Grab the control rod from the west, and head

down the nearby stairs."

there are none, spent hours running around trying to highlight anything there, my only spoils of war is a cracked crystal rod, am i supposed to fix that and if so who is the bloke?

reading further for my next step is to:

"Now that you have the control rod, return to the castle. Tell them about what

happened (especially Correlea). Now you can kill the shades."

She just hauls out the same lines of text she has always done, no progress on that quest. Currently im in giant lands smiting evil but it seems i missed the things i most of all wanted to bring down...

so either im blind as a bat or just missing something. Would be nice to know, thanks!

Check the west end of the Basalt fortress There will be a room with 3 giant blue crystals. On the far right one, there will be a vhanatai closet like thing. It's dark so its hard to see. Continue looking for it. Bring that rod back to Correlea and she will give you the onyx scepter.

EDIT: Oh yeah, what the person above me said. You need to wound the shade for a couple of turns and run for your life. It will tell you when you chop off a piece in text. DO NOT keep swinging at it after you chopped of the shade piece. You will die. It still has it's healing ability up. Give this to Correlea first before giving the crystal rod.

• 1 year later...

Check the west end of the Basalt fortress. There will be a room with 3 giant blue crystals. On the far right one, there will be a vhanatai closet like thing. It's dark so its hard to see. Continue looking for it. Bring that rod back to Correlea and she will give you the onyx scepter.

Cannot even find the room. :mad: What level or which of the Avernum 4 Annotated Maps, Basalt Fortress.

EDIT: Oh yeah, what the person above me said. You need to wound the shade for a couple of turns and run for your life. It will tell you when you chop off a piece in text. DO NOT keep swinging at it after you chopped of the shade piece. You will die. It still has it's healing ability up. Give this to Correlea first before giving the crystal rod.