BoESIP - An Idea

keira

To be specific, a stupid idea I had some time ago, now with a stupid acronym.

It stands for the Blades of Exile Scenario Index Protocol, and the idea is that it would be a client (either a seperate executable or someday built into the game) that connects to a server and downloads scenarios and pops them in the directory for you. It would also include (optionally) the ability to beam reviews to the client. The data would all be transmitted by XML (optionally gzipped) over HTTP for simplicity's sake.

I'm just wondering if there is any interest in developing it further. I don't have any decent experience writing in C++, much less anything decent. The most I did before giving up was dinking up a little mockup of a client in Glade. I've created a basic server-side implementation of the scenario metadata delivery system, or whatever you want to call it (using PHP/MySQL), as well as a (very basic) XML schema, but I'm wondering if there is anyone willing to help out with this, at least with a client dealio.

Well I think it's a very interesting idea indeed.

I'd like to help, but the only programming experience I have is on a DOS (Turbo C/C++) and Windows (Visual/Dev C++ and maybe VB). I haven't even seen a Mac, and my comprehension of Client Servers is very abstract :-(.

If someone who has some actual network programming experience takes the lead, I can chip in my fifty paise.

teu45.gif

Well, I dunno how easy it would be, but I imagine it would be more than possible to just use CuRL and libxml on the client side, with maybe GTK+ (or WxWidgets, since the game is being ported to it) for a GUI.

of course we could just start small, with a command-line thing a la apt-get. idk.

GTK+ has a tendency to carry with it a dependency on X11, which isn't great for a Mac user. It's supposedly possible to use it without that, but I haven't seen any programs that actually do it.

In other words, if this were made, I would prefer it not to use GTK+. smile