Geneforge 1 Question re: Entry Baton location

Hi! This is my first post. I bought the Geneforge series during the incredible-though-wallet-draining Steam summer sale, and I've been really enjoying Geneforge 1--it's incredibly addicting! After significant trouble clearing the abandoned school, I've had a fairly easy time traveling on whatever path I deemed best, but I seem to have hit a wall recently, and hope you knowledgeable folks can help out a noob.

I'm a level 13 Shaper. I've put all of my points into Intelligence, Magic Shaping, and Healing. My crew consists of 3 Ghlaaki and 4 Vlish, all with +2 INT points each so I can control them, but no other bonuses. I fought my way up to the Control Mind that starts with a "K" (was put in charge by someone whose name starts with a "D"--super helpful, I know. Sorry). I was forced to fight my way out of its territory (EPIC battle, by the way! By a long shot the most intense fight I've had so far), and worked my way into West Gate. I cleared out the pesky Stealth Sholai, but am confronted by a locked door, the unlocking mechanism for which I do not have the key.

I spent a few minutes on Google and discovered I need what is called an Entry Baton; however, I have no idea where to find one.

Could one of you veterans point me towards an (the?) entry baton? Or is it best that I forge a different path? There are numerous unexplored locations on my map, but I've been so confident in my victories in battle that I've kept pushing north towards where I hope the Geneforge lies. I know I could take the time to explore each location, buuuuut that strikes me as tedious. So here I am. grin

There are two Entry Batons in the game. If I remember correctly, one is on the other side of the door, the other is in an area you probably aren't ready for yet. You can get a clue in Kazg by looking a books for information about it and other useful items.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. The games are enough to take it away otherwise. smile

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Well, I'm officially on the kill-on-sight list of the Takers (as a supporter of the Awakened, I'm okay with that), but I found the clue you referred to. I'm pushing my way into where I need to be going to find an Entry Baton, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the landmines. I'm very confident in my ability to handle any rogue creations--I've crossed every bridge I was told not to and fought my way out of Control Mind K*'s territory with only a couple casualties. But these mines....

Any tips on how to navigate minefields as a super-squishy Shaper?

There are always ways to deal with mines. Either a box that will turn off mines in an area...or (I think?) a servant mind who can turn them off...or you may need to find a spore baton (I believe there are red, brown, and green ones?). It just depends on what zones you're dealing with.

Hmm. I always search whatever zones I enter thoroughly (barring Kazg at first due to the Tower Guard scaring me away), but I have left several zones completely unexplored. It must be time to start being more thorough, since I'm apparently missing some very important items. I need to find some of these spore batons, since my Mechanics and Leadership have been left at their starting values. I've pretty much spent all of my points on making the toughest, meanest magical creations possible.

If it makes a difference, I'm struggling in Holding Two at the moment. It probably won't be as rough when I go back to it after a break; it never is as difficult as I remember it when I come back from a break caused by frustration.

Thanks for the speedy reply, again. For such an old game, I really like how active the community is. I also purchased a few other Spiderweb titles after realizing how awesome GF1 was--Avernum: Escape from the Pit and Avadon. I suspect I'll be seeing equally helpful folks on those forums when I hit a brick wall due to noobishness and unwillingness to accidentally spoil something by looking through a FAQ. laugh

Originally Posted By: Smeemo
...since my Mechanics and Leadership have been left at their starting values. I've pretty much spent all of my points on making the toughest, meanest magical creations possible.

The way Jeff built the Geneforge games, there are pretty much always two paths to most goals...one focusing on combat, and one relying on leadership / mechanics / just plain sneaking. Sometimes both these paths are available within a single zone, other times there may two zones, one combat-focused and one leadership/mechanics-focused, that both lead to the same goal. So if you never boost leadership and mechanics, there may actually occasionally be areas or parts of areas that you find nearly impassable. Nothing wrong with that, just something to be aware of.

• 9 years later...
On 7/25/2012 at 11:16 AM, Smeemo said:

Hi! This is my first post. I bought the Geneforge series during the incredible-though-wallet-draining Steam summer sale, and I've been really enjoying Geneforge 1--it's incredibly addicting! After significant trouble clearing the abandoned school, I've had a fairly easy time traveling on whatever path I deemed best, but I seem to have hit a wall recently, and hope you knowledgeable folks can help out a noob.

I'm a level 13 Shaper. I've put all of my points into Intelligence, Magic Shaping, and Healing. My crew consists of 3 Ghlaaki and 4 Vlish, all with +2 INT points each so I can control them, but no other bonuses. I fought my way up to the Control Mind that starts with a "K" (was put in charge by someone whose name starts with a "D"--super helpful, I know. Sorry). I was forced to fight my way out of its territory (EPIC battle, by the way! By a long shot the most intense fight I've had so far), and worked my way into West Gate. I cleared out the pesky Stealth Sholai, but am confronted by a locked door, the unlocking mechanism for which I do not have the key.

I spent a few minutes on Google and discovered I need what is called an Entry Baton; however, I have no idea where to find one.

Could one of you veterans point me towards an (the?) entry baton? Or is it best that I forge a different path? There are numerous unexplored locations on my map, but I've been so confident in my victories in battle that I've kept pushing north towards where I hope the Geneforge lies. I know I could take the time to explore each location, buuuuut that strikes me as tedious. So here I am. graemlins/grin.gif

entry baton on west of west workshop

@NONO - this thread has not been posted in for ten (10) years.

Additionally, the information you posted is actually already in the thread.  Please, read the other posts in the thread before you hit "reply."

Thanks.

Now, to return this thread to its peaceful rest...

• Slarti locked this topic